R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #316
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The plastic steering blocks seemed soft to me. But honestly I just break axles now in hard hits, which are a pain in the ass to remove the broken stump from the aluminum block after the fact.

The amount of shims do allow for a more precise adjustment of the front droop however.

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #317
Tech Apprentice

Had my first run with my Rev 7 at the UK Nationals last weekend. Loved every second of it and was back in the mix in my usual position after a bad season. I had fun driving for the first time this season.
Saturday I qualified 6th in the D with my first round qualifying time, which I was actually using as a shakedown run. The car improved throughout the day, but I had a few non car related issues in my other runs so my times didn't. Managed to keep my head down in the final and moved up to 3rd.
Sunday I only set a time in R2 which was still good enough for 3rd in the D, which I converted to 2nd in the final being beaten by another Rev 7! The interesting thing was we both have totally different driving styles, yet the car suited both of us. The only difference in set up was that I ran Magenta rears and the other car ran Pinks.
Next time out, I now know the car and my arm should be out of a sling, so I will hopefully finish higher up. The only thing we need over here are a few spares. I had a kingpin broken for me on Saturday but we found an old AE spare. And I lost a side spring and so did one of the R5 drivers using a Speedmerchant conversion. The car also generated a lot of interest in the pits with a number of drivers enquiring about how to get one. Its only the lack of UK support that might put them off.
Paul Lomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #318
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lomas View Post
Had my first run with my Rev 7 at the UK Nationals last weekend. Loved every second of it and was back in the mix in my usual position after a bad season. I had fun driving for the first time this season.
Saturday I qualified 6th in the D with my first round qualifying time, which I was actually using as a shakedown run. The car improved throughout the day, but I had a few non car related issues in my other runs so my times didn't. Managed to keep my head down in the final and moved up to 3rd.
Sunday I only set a time in R2 which was still good enough for 3rd in the D, which I converted to 2nd in the final being beaten by another Rev 7! The interesting thing was we both have totally different driving styles, yet the car suited both of us. The only difference in set up was that I ran Magenta rears and the other car ran Pinks.
Next time out, I now know the car and my arm should be out of a sling, so I will hopefully finish higher up. The only thing we need over here are a few spares. I had a kingpin broken for me on Saturday but we found an old AE spare. And I lost a side spring and so did one of the R5 drivers using a Speedmerchant conversion. The car also generated a lot of interest in the pits with a number of drivers enquiring about how to get one. Its only the lack of UK support that might put them off.
Paul

I carry a complete Old Skool front end as they are dirt cheap. Not had any breakages although I am building up a few spares just in case.

The car is great and I'm glad I'm no longer the only one in the UK running it.
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #319
lee
Tech Adept

I have race coming up where I will be racing 12th scale mad for first time. I am planning to run a novak 7.5L.What would be a good starting point on gearing? And what type of setup shoud I run in my Tekin? The track will be 48 x 100.
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #320
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
I have race coming up where I will be racing 12th scale mad for first time. I am planning to run a novak 7.5L.What would be a good starting point on gearing? And what type of setup shoud I run in my Tekin? The track will be 48 x 100.
I run a 6.5 LRP X11 on 48mm per rev, so you'll probably be looking to run a bit higher than that. Someone else can probably help with exact gearing. As for the Tekin, I run it with the advance at 80, start rpm 5097 and end rpm 16017. I also have the start rpm at 18. This all keeps the car nice and driveable on the infield, but saves me being rearended by cars with 4.5s in. Hope this helps.
Paul Lomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #321
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What are the diffences between the linner and progressive tweak springs.
sprintcarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #322
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcarracer View Post
What are the diffences between the linner and progressive tweak springs.
Exactly what is sounds like.

The linear springs have a single linear rate of stiffness, the progressive springs increase in stiffness as they compress.

Visually they are different in that the linear springs look like a normal coil spring (like any coilover shock or strut would use). The progressive springs are a cone shape, one end will have a smaller diameter than the other.

FWIW we don't use the progressive springs anymore, and many people with other brands of cars convert over to using the SpeedMerchant linear side springs as well.

Hope that helps

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #323
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Can someone share a good set up for 17.5 boost? Tire size, spur, pinion, rollout, etc etc....

Oh track size is close to TQ racing track.

Thanks in advance!
seasons29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #324
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_robinson View Post

The linear springs have a single linear rate of stiffness, the progressive springs increase in stiffness as they compress.

Visually they are different in that the linear springs look like a normal coil spring (like any coilover shock or strut would use). The progressive springs are a cone shape, one end will have a smaller diameter than the other.

FWIW we don't use the progressive springs anymore, and many people with other brands of cars convert over to using the SpeedMerchant linear side springs as well.

Hope that helps
Thanks but I guess I should have specified more. I know the diffrence in looks I was wondering what the preformance differance was between the 2.
sprintcarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #325
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasons29 View Post
Can someone share a good set up for 17.5 boost? Tire size, spur, pinion, rollout, etc etc....

Oh track size is close to TQ racing track.

Thanks in advance!
Ask and you shall receive!

TQ + Win @ the Victoria round of the WCICS in Victoria BC this year. 200 entries at that race.

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REV7_2012WCICS 17.5 Boost.pdf (376.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: pdf WCICS 2012 17.5 12th.pdf (280.7 KB, 149 views)

Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #326
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcarracer View Post
Thanks but I guess I should have specified more. I know the diffrence in looks I was wondering what the preformance differance was between the 2.
The answer is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_robinson View Post

Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #327
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks Pete you are the best!!
seasons29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #328
Tech Addict

Is anyone running the 12r5 front end on their Rev7 and how does it feel?

I'm using the Old Skool at the moment but just wondering if there is any advantage in trying a current front end?
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #329
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim fry View Post
Is anyone running the 12r5 front end on their Rev7 and how does it feel?

I'm using the Old Skool at the moment but just wondering if there is any advantage in trying a current front end?
The only "advantage" is that you can make adjustments for reactive caster. Reactive caster was designed in modern front ends to help deal with weight transfer. Since we switched to lipo batteries inline there is less weight transfer in the cars and it isn't needed as much or at all anymore, thats the theory anyway. Plus the old skool front end is lighter and you can still make adjustments for caster, camber, width and ride height just like on the modern front suspensions.
avink007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #330
Tech Apprentice

Raced at the final BRCA Nationals this weekend.
The car was not as nice as it has been in the previous meetings this year, it has developed a nasty habbit of hooking in right hand corners. a medium speed corner off the end of the straight and a tight corner after a short straight, both exhibiting the same problem. It was med/high bite.

I checked the usual things on the car, but it seemed fine on the bench.

Has anyone else had similar?

Last edited by reynard55; 03-20-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Spelling!
reynard55 is offline   Reply With Quote