Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default QUALIFIER QUESTION

OK! what do you do in this situation??
i was TQ for the 1st & 2nd qualifier
3rd qualifier another was going to beat my run by a second
i was going to beat my own time by a half of a second
i was following this guy for the whole 6mins
i was faster then him..(i mean i kept pulling up to his bumper & backed off).. but i stayed back because i was waiting on him to mess up
he got mad @ me because he said i was too close to him in the whole qualifier
so i stayed behind him & let him take TQ
SOOO did i do the right thing...or should i have went on & passed him
he took TQ but i won the main

hope y'all understand this
Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

In qualifying (heads up or IFMAR), slower car is supposed to move over for the faster car. I'd have sent him off the track.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Did he start the qualifier ahead of, or behind you?

If he started ahead, and you were on his bumper, he should have moved over, or you could have taken the chance [at the risk of it backfiring on you] of being very aggressive and moving him over.

If he started behind you, and you made a mistake for him to get by, well, you did the sportsman thing by waiting for him to make a mistake.

I move over in qualifiers when guys are on my bumper, the exception to that is if I've let them go once or twice already, and they botch corners to let me back around. At that point, I feel continuing to let them by could jeopardize my qualifying effort, and they can just wait.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default Qualifier

Rick's right, track etiquette is to allow the faster car go by. As for him getting mad that you were too close, the solution is simple, if he'd let the faster car go by you wouldn't be close anymore. Now in the main where the battle is for position, he should defend the top spot, but that is racing not qualifying.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The thing to remember with qualifying you are running against the clock. This means when two cars are bumper to bumper they are actually not in a close race on the track. If they started in front of you by the time you caught their rear bumper you were officially already past them. In this situation a courteous driver would let you by since you had already passed them. If they started behind you, you must have made a mistake to give them position and you needed to get around them without effecting their run. Most smart driver will let someone by since they know it will allow each to be faster in the end.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
Did he start the qualifier ahead of, or behind you?

If he started ahead, and you were on his bumper, he should have moved over, or you could have taken the chance [at the risk of it backfiring on you] of being very aggressive and moving him over.

If he started behind you, and you made a mistake for him to get by, well, you did the sportsman thing by waiting for him to make a mistake.

I move over in qualifiers when guys are on my bumper, the exception to that is if I've let them go once or twice already, and they botch corners to let me back around. At that point, I feel continuing to let them by could jeopardize my qualifying effort, and they can just wait.
he started a 1 car ahead of me..i caught up to him & the announcer was saying he was going beat my TQ RUN by 1second so i guess he wanted to see if he could beat it....( i guess)....but i was on his bumper the whole race...i guess he couldnt take the pressure...so he yelled @ me & said i was too close...so i let him take TQ because i knew i had him in da main
Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CR0SS
The thing to remember with qualifying you are running against the clock. This means when two cars are bumper to bumper they are actually not in a close race on the track. If they started in front of you by the time you caught their rear bumper you were officially already past them. In this situation a courteous driver would let you by since you had already passed them. If they started behind you, you must have made a mistake to give them position and you needed to get around them without effecting their run. Most smart driver will let someone by since they know it will allow each to be faster in the end.
we was crossing the line 2gether & we was 1 or 2teth's separated...but i was holding back

all i wanted to know if i did the right thing
Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
he started a 1 car ahead of me..i caught up to him & the announcer was saying he was going beat my TQ RUN by 1second so i guess he wanted to see if he could beat it....( i guess)....but i was on his bumper the whole race...i guess he couldnt take the pressure...so he yelled @ me & said i was too close...so i let him take TQ because i knew i had him in da main
If he started ahead of you, you could have finished on his bumper and TQ'ed. Also, you could have given yourself a little more space by waiting just a second or so before going on the start.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

You didn't take him out, so yes, you did the right thing.

Next time someone starts ahead of you that's a threat for TQ, and you catch them, stick right on their bumper if you can't get by, you'll still have the better qualifying time.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Is there not a " no talking rule" on the driverstand ??? Let alone intimidation !!! I would have recked him just because he was intimidating me into going slower !!! He would not last a minute racing in Brooklyn New york , and people would let him have it after the qualifier for sure !!! And I am not talking about geeky racers either !!! Respect a faster racer at all times, let him go, and when you get to be the faster guy another day , they will also show you the same respect , and let you by !!!!! If that racer still doesn't get it, then he will surely receive the BK red carpet treatment !!!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

most of these answers would be for imfar starts,

it reads like this was heads up qualifying

(if you caught him and he was still ahead of you on the clock)

then its qualifying and you need to pass him, when he yelled, that was when you were suppose to start talking to him and get all up in his head and make him mess up.

actually if you were faster, then the real issue is with your RD for not asking (telling) him to move over.

but being nice has its rewards too, I remember at reedy I asked one guy if he could move to his left a little so i could fit where I was standing all week on the drivers stand, he got all uppity and said no, I TQ'd that heat and was sure to thank him for being a dick, its more fun that way.

I'm sure your main win was a little bit more rewards because of him
Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wingracer
If he started ahead of you, you could have finished on his bumper and TQ'ed. Also, you could have given yourself a little more space by waiting just a second or so before going on the start.
in most cases... but today we had 10 cars & he was calling us off fast..but if we had 7 0r less that would of been the ideal to space out
Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by skypilot
most of these answers would be for imfar starts,

it reads like this was heads up qualifying

(if you caught him and he was still ahead of you on the clock)

then its qualifying and you need to pass him, when he yelled, that was when you were suppose to start talking to him and get all up in his head and make him mess up.

actually if you were faster, then the real issue is with your RD for not asking (telling) him to move over.

but being nice has its rewards too, I remember at reedy I asked one guy if he could move to his left a little so i could fit where I was standing all week on the drivers stand, he got all uppity and said no, I TQ'd that heat and was sure to thank him for being a dick, its more fun that way.

I'm sure your main win was a little bit more rewards because of him
no it wasent heads up it was ifmar start...he was calling us off so fast..(u go, u go,u go)...our track is 120 x 50...we was running 17.5 blinky..yes it was in the main i did the same thing to him road his bumper for about 3min & he blew a corner & i duck in side & took the lead..& got that glass with gold trim trophy that say....SEPT 2011 OHIO STATE CHAMP 1ST PLACE ELECTRIC STOCK
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Congrats ! I hope you made sure to tell him intimidation doesn't work in the Rc Game !!!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Regional Moderator

What you should have done was slowed up so drastically, that he would have eventually caught up to you. Then continue to drive at his pace. Problem solved!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.