Sorry, but what is "Blinky"?
Warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird View Post
Sorry, but what is "Blinky"?
No timing added mode on the ESC, generally with mechanical timing allowed in the motor endbell. Called "Blinky" because the software makes a light (or lights) blink for quick easy tech.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #33
Tech Elite

It's when the ESC binks to let tech know that it's on Non-ramping.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There isn't really a class they call "stock", here in Toronto. There are a couple of clubs around that offer a slow and a fast touring car class though. The slow one that could be called "stock", they call "GT2" around here and the rules can vary a little from club to club, but it's generally 21.5 blinky with some variations on FDR and/or battery limits depending on the track. The fast TC class they call "GT1" and at the closest club to me it's 13.5 boosted. The next closest club, "GT1" is open Mod. Consistency between clubs would be nice, but that just isn't the case.

Unless they can all get together and come to a consensus on what "Stock", "Super Stock", "GT1", etc. should mean universally, I would prefer it if they just call the classes exactly what they are, like "17.5 boosted TC". This would help avoid some confusion for new racers (new to the hobby and just new to the area)
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Our track in Austin, Tx

Stock tc rules:

Blinky 17.5
3.8 final drive
Solaris hard spec tires
60c max on lipo
Any tc body

Very close and compeditive. We ran 17.5 open for 2 years and the class died. Went to blinky with a few spec rules and now the class is making a come back.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Well where I am brushless is NOT compared to brushed and never will be.
Lots of reasons for another day unless someone asks

Its silver can 540 = stock
Brushless = everything else.

But our new club will be starting very soon so the classes will be,

Silver can 540 = stock
17.5 blinky = stock + 1
17.5 boosted = super stock

Ideally you would like to have every turn motor classes and then have a boosted and a blinky class for each. but no club can have that unless there is the numbers of cars and drivers available..

So even in blinky mode with brushless still doesnt limit the endbell timing on the motor so alot of motors like it in different areas on the endbell so you could fight all day to get a true rule do you leave it on 15* degrees fixed timing or 45*.

As for limiting fdr sounds a great idea too...

But I have a feeling the idea of companies producing fixed esc's and fixed endbell timing should be true stock and anything outside of that needs to be in a modified called class but in thier motor wind class...

Now there is also nothing wrong with a guy wanting to run open class even if he has a 17.5 boosted to the sh*thouse and wants to run against a 8.5 turn.
Personal preference is the call.

Also battery capacity and C rating limits could be a huge thing to limit as I dont care what anyone says I have been dynoing setups for awhile now and it is a huge difference with smaller lipos compared to large capacity and C rated lipos.

Even on a silver can!! Temps change as the gearing will need to be changed running a smaller lipo compared to a large one and the list goes on... Because the silver can gets hot and then asks for more power so the bigger the battery it just smashes the power into it regardless. There is lots to go into but thats the basics.

Any other ideas throw around
Fordy
Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfo80 View Post
the bigger the battery it just smashes the power into it regardless.
Must be why the new RevTech motors are so fast. Those extra holes allow more power to be smashed into the motor by the giant batteries.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
There isn't really a class they call "stock", here in Toronto. There are a couple of clubs around that offer a slow and a fast touring car class though. The slow one that could be called "stock", they call "GT2" around here and the rules can vary a little from club to club, but it's generally 21.5 blinky with some variations on FDR and/or battery limits depending on the track. The fast TC class they call "GT1" and at the closest club to me it's 13.5 boosted. The next closest club, "GT1" is open Mod. Consistency between clubs would be nice, but that just isn't the case.

Unless they can all get together and come to a consensus on what "Stock", "Super Stock", "GT1", etc. should mean universally, I would prefer it if they just call the classes exactly what they are, like "17.5 boosted TC". This would help avoid some confusion for new racers (new to the hobby and just new to the area)
Been in contact with a lot of the club organizers in Ontario to try and work out more consistent classes. At K.R.C.R. we are doing open ESC 17.5 TC, GT2 21.5 Spec or "Blinky" ESC and a slight variation on SCAR/TransAm/World GT CHALLENGE with R.O.A.R. World GT specs and 21.5 SCAR & TransAm with Spec ESC or "Blinky". Canadian VTA will be the same as Lou's with 21.5T Spec ESC or "Blinky". When K.R.C.R. opens our outdoor track next summer we will add GT1. I'm trying to make it easier and cheaper to switch from outdoor to indoor between clubs. As D.R.C.R.C. is the closest club to us, we will match their classes as much as possible.

It would be great if the "Turns" rating was ditched for kV range ratings.
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
No timing added mode on the ESC, generally with mechanical timing allowed in the motor endbell. Called "Blinky" because the software makes a light (or lights) blink for quick easy tech.
Thanks for the info, cheers!
Warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
Must be why the new RevTech motors are so fast. Those extra holes allow more power to be smashed into the motor by the giant batteries.
bwahaha! that was funny, n i know what you mean
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
bwahaha! that was funny, n i know what you mean
Yeah well its all funny... I have proof for what I am talkin about... I am guessing your mummies still buy your rc stuff for you hey???
Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

In Australia right now, I think just about every state went a different direction with stock this year, it's everything from 17.5-21.5T with or without boost, and yet it's still said a lot of people are unhappy with whatever has been chosen.

From a concept point of view I like the idea of a max FDR, or fixed FDR, though still wonder if they fixes everything...

Personally though I'm driving a track where stock is too slow, and Mod is just another way to flush good money away (seriously should Mod be run at anything but a titles meet anymore?), so par for the course here is 10.5T Zero/Fixed right now, even though 10.5 was dumped by our state body last/this year.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
In Australia right now, I think just about every state went a different direction with stock this year, it's everything from 17.5-21.5T with or without boost, and yet it's still said a lot of people are unhappy with whatever has been chosen.

From a concept point of view I like the idea of a max FDR, or fixed FDR, though still wonder if they fixes everything...

Personally though I'm driving a track where stock is too slow, and Mod is just another way to flush good money away (seriously should Mod be run at anything but a titles meet anymore?), so par for the course here is 10.5T Zero/Fixed right now, even though 10.5 was dumped by our state body last/this year.
I thought according to arrccmmccrrccc, stock was 17.5t? 10.5t blinky sounds good, where is this ran?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #44
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnit Man View Post
Here 17.5 nonboosted is sportsman stock and 17.5 boosted is "pro stock" or super stock, then there is mod.
What is the difference between super stock and mod?
area 51 racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
I thought according to arrccmmccrrccc, stock was 17.5t? 10.5t blinky sounds good, where is this ran?
Yeah well the "Australian" body went one way, State bodies went their own for the most part, which included boosted or unboosted 17.5, with some going boosted 21.5, and others pushing a 21.5 unboosted though that is supposed to be a 540 replacement for 'newbies', err in theory anyway...

10.5T blinky 'is' fun, or at least I and a handful of others think so, the clue as to where is right in the sig under my posts...
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote