R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2004, 10:50 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo

Knowing Surikarn as a soft spoken guy, I met up with him in a race in Hong Kong 2 years ago. I asked him if Hpi would give him an offer, will you take it? He replied, "Why not? If the offer is good." Now it has happened then probably this will be the strongest team that EP racing will ever have. A good car and driver combo can a make the team go places.
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:23 AM   #77
Tech Champion

Default surikarn... oh surikarn

I think moving from tamiya to hpi is just like Ralf Schumacher moving from BMW Williams F1 to Toyota F1....... bad move but better pays perhaps.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:31 AM   #78
Tech Regular

Default Re: surikarn... oh surikarn

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
I think moving from tamiya to hpi is just like Ralf Schumacher moving from BMW Williams F1 to Toyota F1....... bad move but better pays perhaps.
Hi,

HPI have built a great car. They didn't win the worlds, but were the most dominating team.
Ofcourse the tamiya is also a good car, but guys of this level can win with every car. They are so talented, and he is so talented that I'm pretty sure he will do good!

Thomas
840918001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:38 AM   #79
Tech Adept

Default Re: surikarn... oh surikarn

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576

Dude, are you serious?
Antonio Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:46 AM   #80
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Unlikely. At that level it all comes down to who has a good race. Small bobbles, mental state, motor and gearing prep. Marc just drove fast had the horsepower and made few enough mistakes.
I don't know if you were present at the worlds but the TB EVO4 was pushing too much, understeering everywhere. I saw it. And it was abvious from practice, so the change could be made immediately, before they marked the cars. I know other teams changed chassis during the event, even after they were marked by IFMAR officials, claiming that their first chassis was broken or tweaked....

The TRF 415 Marc was using had some part on it that made the difference in behaviour and gave that all precious tight turn in.

So I am pretty sure Karn wished he could change cars...
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:00 AM   #81
Tech Regular

Hi all,

After the worlds you always see a lot of chassis switching by the pro's and more by the club racers.
They say wath wins on sunday sells on monday.

Surikarn switching to HPI is nice for Team HPI, and for Surikarn self, but will it make you go faster?
The guys that raced the worlds are all very talented, and will be fast with almost every car.
If you want to switch to the car that wins a big event, then you can probably switch cars after every 2 maybe 3 months.

This year the X-ray won a big event with Curyl driving it.
Team Associated is the current European champions car.
Team HPI won the DHI cup.
Tamiya won the worlds with Reinhard.

Now you can buy all those cars and get to know not a single one very well, or you can buy one of those cars and get to know it, and compete at your club in the A main.

When you collect cars then those 4 are nice to have, but if you want to race then you have to choose.

Thomas
840918001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:10 AM   #82
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Well said!
And to add that the car won't make you a winner, practise and setup/driving skills will!

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:30 AM   #83
Tech Master

Driver / car changes through the years are interesting.

David Spashett won his first World championship with a Corally and immediately got gobbled up by Trinity. He ran their motors and cells for years and now runs Peak.

Hara won his W C with Yokomo then got taken by HPI. I expect he realised that Masami was No 1 and would remain no 1 at Yoke.

Now Surikarn also leaves Tamiya with a W C and goes to HPI. Can't be anything to do with Surikarn disliking the idea that there is a quicker driver in the team for now he is going to have an even quicker driver - Hara.

Kinwald won off road W Cs with Losi and stuck with them and Trinity power.

Pavidis won W Cs with AE and stuck with them. Like Kinwald he works with the brand he races.

Masami has won more W Cs than all the rest put together. He won with Schumacher in 4wd off road before Yoke made their own car, AE in 2wd off road and on road - Yoke don't make their own car, and Yoke with 4wd off road. He has been with Yoke since day 1. He would have probably had a few more W C titles had he accepted offers of other drives, but he stuck with Yokes. Talk about Loyalty before all else. Well done Masami - a real gentleman.

Note that I have stuck to World Champions, so as not to complicate the issue. Some drivers change brands like they change their nickers.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:39 AM   #84
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by John Doucakis

The TRF 415 Marc was using had some part on it that made the difference in behaviour and gave that all precious tight turn in.
Could you tell us what part this was?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:12 AM   #85
Tech Addict

johnbull,

For your information:
Kinwald won the 1993 WC In Basildon, England with AE and Reedy and then again with Losi/Trinity in 1997

Pavidis won in 1995 with a Yokomo....
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:21 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default hmmm...

The way I see it, Tamiya put both the 415 and EVO4 in the A-Main at the Worlds...That's impressive...

Factory driver's move around all the time, but it does help to go to a team where teamwork is part of their culture. If it's true, then can you blame Surikarn for leaving Tamiya?
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:27 AM   #87
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by C van der Hagen
Could you tell us what part this was?
I am sorry but I was told not to give any info. Donīt want to get into truble.

Hint: It is a part in transmition very simple in its design. It is not included in the MS kit as far as I know. It is fragile too.
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:33 AM   #88
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

The only thing that Reinhard broke (that I'm aware of) and it's not a standard on the kit is

http://www.teamorion.com/live/images...ixed-spool.jpg

Althought I can't understand how different material spool can give more steering on the same car!

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:53 AM   #89
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Eirik
johnbull,

For your information:
Kinwald won the 1993 WC In Basildon, England with AE and Reedy and then again with Losi/Trinity in 1997

Pavidis won in 1995 with a Yokomo....
Correct about Kinwald. You know your history. Well done.

Not too fussy about Pavidis. As you know AE and Yokomo work together quite a bit. In 95 Yokomo was the car to use.

I suppose that by the same argument, was Masami's 1/12th car a Yoke or an AE at this year's World Champs.

But well done on your RC history anyway. I must say, mine isn't that good. And nor is my memory!!!!!!!
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:58 AM   #90
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Correct about Kinwald. You know your history. Well done.

Not too fussy about Pavidis. As you know AE and Yokomo work together quite a bit. In 95 Yokomo was the car to use.

I suppose that by the same argument, was Masami's 1/12th car a Yoke or an AE at this year's World Champs.

But well done on your RC history anyway. I must say, mine isn't that good. And nor is my memory!!!!!!!
Masami's 1/12 car was based on the L4 but used a slighly narrower and longer chassis and a new left side pod plate that even the AE guys ran
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote