R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2004, 01:58 PM   #31
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Actually, I would like to know...any ball park figure? 100G a year? If that is the case..........all my college education, Master, professionally licensing and such are total WASTE.........I should play RC everyday since I was 6 and try to be like HARA....

Again, I just want to know their salary, a ball park figure.
How about Hara? Is he doing any non-RC business in Japan or in US? From the looks of his live style I think he made a pretty good $$$ from just RC...
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
Rookie Solara - Only a select few get paid on a yearly basis. It's generally for winning or A-mains at big races. Alot of drivers just get free equipment and travel.
I thought so........I cannot imagine someone (or anyone 1 single RC top rank racer) will get paid 100G a year to be a driver....so that 'whole lot of money" is probably about 50G a year...that is more reasonable plus free racing, free gears, free parts, lots of supporter and 1 new motor/battires/set of tires per qualifier...

I think my point is........if I am a top rank driver....to change a top rank driver to go to the different camp.....is definitely the company/mfr itself, money is probably the 3rd or 4th thing to consider.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:07 PM   #33
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by John Doucakis
Only drivers that are also employees of a company have an actually sallary, or get paid for their achievements. I could get more specific but I think I should not, because I might create misunderstandings...
Yes, I think this is also the difference between factory drivers (developing cars, etc) with "only" team drivers (only gets free or special discount for equipment). Because everyone can called themselves a team driver even they only got sponsored from a Hobby Shop.

My biggest curios is what's Yokomo doing now or later? Because Yokomo can be considered as the smallest team now (counting from their factory drivers)
Old 11-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
How about Hara? Is he doing any non-RC business in Japan or in US? From the looks of his live style I think he made a pretty good $$$ from just RC...
Of course, I was saying, the RC company would not pay him 100G a year to be a driver......OF COURSE NOT....but HPI/Hot bodies does offer him his OWN LINE of products............that is exactly like what I said before, it is the COMPANY/MFR...........they gave HARA a chance to make hsi own TWISTER with KO, Hara motor from Team Orion....and his own HARA line of products....

Then those are not coming from HPI alone, it is HARA himself, but at least, HPI allow him to have his own business aside...

About TAMIYA, may be that is the reason why Sarikarn leave Tamiya............they might have contract against HIM to create his own brand, or his own products or anything that is NOT with Tamiya.

But at the end.......a chance to win. that really matter to all racer, and I think that is the reason why Hara left Yokomo (always #2 behind Masami) 4 years ago (or may be longer...)
Old 11-10-2004, 02:17 PM   #35
Regional Moderator

Quote:
About TAMIYA, may be that is the reason why Sarikarn leave Tamiya............they might have contract against HIM to create his own brand, or his own products or anything that is NOT with Tamiya.

Yes, you're right. I think this is more political/business than personal

Quote:
But at the end.......a chance to win. that really matter to all racer, and I think that is the reason why Hara left Yokomo (always #2 behind Masami) 4 years ago (or may be longer...)
Maybe, but I didn't agree this time. Hara is won the ISTC with a YOKOMO car and then got hijacked by HPI just after that. So the reason may be more to business than personal preferences...
Old 11-10-2004, 02:23 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
Yes, you're right. I think this is more political/business than personal

Maybe, but I didn't agree this time. Hara is won the ISTC with a YOKOMO car and then got hijacked by HPI just after that. So the reason may be more to business than personal preferences...
I agree...........when a company can giving you a new car for you to do R&D, a full team driver support, full year of racing, share profit (I garantee all the TOP RANK driver has a small % of products profit) and allow/support to create his own line of products............that is a very GOOD team/company/mfr to join, espeically in RC business.

May be, we will see the Surikarn Motor and ESC in the near future.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #37
Tech Champion

1 more thing I want to ask..............just like F1 or any auto racing, there is always a TEAM ORDER...........if both #1 and #2 driver are head to head for the entire day of racing fighting position.........will their manager called out the TEAM order.........?

Like let HARA win the title (for better BUSINESS selling point on HPI/TeamOrion/hot bodies) products........and Surkarn help blocking the 2nd position........or the otherway around.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:31 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I agree...........when a company can giving you a new car for you to do R&D, a full team driver support, full year of racing, share profit (I garantee all the TOP RANK driver has a small % of products profit) and allow/support to create his own line of products............that is a very GOOD team/company/mfr to join, espeically in RC business.

May be, we will see the Surikarn Motor and ESC in the near future.
There is already a Surikarn motor from Peak, there has been since he joined peak pretty much and the V2 was launched Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
There is already a Surikarn motor from Peak, there has been since he joined peak pretty much and the V2 was launched Rick
Obviously I did not follow the electric sence enough.....thanks for clarifying.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #40
Regional Moderator

This is a very good quote from my friend on another thread in this forum :

"The trend goes like this: First you are a factory sponsored driver, then after showing your talent, you would then bargain for regional distributorship for that brand... sounds familiar? I think (might be wrong) Ralph B has set such trends. I`m pretty sure others will follow soon."

Also, last time I heard Surikarn wants to get Mugen distribution for all Asia-Pacific region and still not granted by Mugen Factory. So I'm curious what he's running for GP cars now, especially onroad...
Old 11-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The only time I've seen team orders come into play are when a certian driver was leading and his teammate had more points than him for the whole event and needed a win to win the event. He pulled over and let him take the win. I've seen this more than once from multiple teams. But if both are running for a title, I don't think they'd pull the team orders out.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:37 PM   #42
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Like let HARA win the title (for better BUSINESS selling point on HPI/TeamOrion/hot bodies) products........and Surkarn help blocking the 2nd position........or the otherway around.
Wow, that would be a great things to watch
Old 11-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
The only time I've seen team orders come into play are when a certian driver was leading and his teammate had more points than him for the whole event and needed a win to win the event. He pulled over and let him take the win. I've seen this more than once from multiple teams. But if both are running for a title, I don't think they'd pull the team orders out.
That is obvious..........cause a win for that other driver does not give the #1 driver the year all championship, I can understand that.
But I was just thinking....if you guys saw the 12th scale video (from Team Orion site) between HARA and MASAMI..lets say for example, they are on the same time, and for example, Masami is #2 driver and Hara is #1 driver of the team (or the other way around)........Masami was all over HARA for the 2nd position for like good 7 minutes, giving HARA pressure all the time....

If they are in the same team........giving pressure = impact = DNF....will the team manager give the team order in that situation, telling Masami to back off and let Hara win since he was on #1 pole for like good 7:00 minutes.....?

Very interested if 1 day, that will happen...............
Old 11-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I don't think so because most of the time, even if they're teammates for the car mfg. each driver has other sponsors, i.e. motors, batts, etc... to keep happy. How would Reedy react if their driver backed off in that situation to an Orion driver?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #45
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
I don't think so because most of the time, even if they're teammates for the car mfg. each driver has other sponsors, i.e. motors, batts, etc... to keep happy. How would Reedy react if their driver backed off in that situation to an Orion driver?
Very very good point...........multiple sponcer, even though running the same chassis.