Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Winter Racing

Dear all,

Just a quick question on racing during winter in US and Europe, is that majority of the racing is indoor carpet track? What tires are the most popular choices?

Cheers
Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Spec tires seem to be very common at most tracks so I would check with the club you plan on racing at. From what I've read on RCTECH, Sorex have become very popular. Jaco's have a great reputation but I can never find them in stock. I've been using Muchmore Absolute 32* as the spec tire for my club with great results, no broken rims or any failures at all plus they are always in stock at Tower. Apparently Muchmore rims are weak but I have not had any evidence of that. Sweeps have apparently increased greatly in quality. Solaris is another winner.

Hope that helps a bit

Last edited by BrodieMan; 08-25-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
Spec tires seem to be very common at most tracks so I would check with the club you plan on racing at. From what I've read on RCTECH, Sorex have become very popular. Jaco's have a great reputation but I can never find them in stock. I've been using Muchmore Absolute 32* as the spec tire for my club with great results, no broken rims or any failures at all plus they are always in stock at Tower. Apparently Muchmore rims are weak but I have not had any evidence of that. Sweeps have apparently increased greatly in quality. Solaris is another winner.

Hope that helps a bit
Thank you for information, much appreciated!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

I raced at a track with wood barriers today and my Muchmores fell apart from a couple minor wall taps. On my track they hold up fine but we have really flexible vinyl barriers. They have good traction though. Tried out some of the new Schumachers/Sorex XG-32 BM today and held up to a few wall taps just fine but they are expensive. I'm ordering some Sweep Real Blues to test out for a spec tire, been hearing good things and the price is great.

From everyone I talk to, Jaco Blues are awesome but finding them seems to be impossible.

HPI Gumballs are garbage. I gave them away after one meet.

Last edited by BrodieMan; 08-29-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

I raced at a track with wood barriers today and my Muchmores fell apart from a couple minor wall taps. On my track they hold up fine but we have really flexible vinyl barriers. They have good traction though. Tried out some of the new Schumachers/Sorex XG-32 BM today and held up to a few wall taps just fine but they are expensive. I'm ordering some Sweep Real Blues to test out for a spec tire, been hearing good things and the price is great.

From everyone I talk to, Jaco Blues are awesome but finding them seems to be impossible.

HPI Gumballs are garbage. I gave them away after one meet.
Thanks, so for carpet surface the lower temp rating tires are the go? If I assume that is because it is indoor and carpet dose not retain heat as much as asphalt?

It that case a thinner insert is also a better choice for carpet racing?

Cheers
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've only been running on-road for just under a year so I am not overly knowledgeable on tires, especially inserts as I buy pre-mounts. On carpet you want harder compound tires 30 - 36* as the high traction from the abrasive surface heats the tires up really quick and keeps them hot. Tires for hot weather asphalt & carpet are usually around the same "degree".

After lots of research I'm going with Sweep Racing Real Blues as my clubs Spec Tire. Jilles Groskamp has just joined the team so if Sweep tires have Jilles endorsement, the should work just fine for my little club.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Sweep QTS-32 True Blue tires were the spec tires at the Halloween Classic, Indoor Champs, and Midwest Grand Slam last year, and look to be the same this year. Most of the local racers have converted to them from Jacos and Solaris.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

I like the sorex 28 indoors, but really it depends on what tyre the series decides on.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Indoor racing on carpet at my track. Although some guys are running things like Jaco Blues (when available), Solaris softs/mediums, and Muchmore 24/28, the overwhelming favorite is Sorex 24s. Paragon is our tire treatment of choice.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Indoor racing on carpet at my track. Although some guys are running things like Jaco Blues (when available), Solaris softs/mediums, and Muchmore 24/28, the overwhelming favorite is Sorex 24s. Paragon is our tire treatment of choice.
Great thanks, so more towards a softer compound, right? So it will generate heat a lot faster, and it is a good carpet choice, right?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Warbird
Great thanks, so more towards a softer compound, right? So it will generate heat a lot faster, and it is a good carpet choice, right?
There's a bit more to it.

Age of the carpet, average turnout on race days, traction compound used, temperature of the track, all those factor in to the ideal tire compound.

If the track gets real cold, a soft tire will have more grip.

If the track has 40+ guys every race day, you might need a harder tire to free the car up for corner speed.

If the carpet is fairly new, again, higher traction, so a harder tire will probably carry more corner speed.

If there's predominantly only one traction compound in use, traction can raise during the day. If there's a mix, then there's a chance nobody will have traction.

Best bet is to ask the guys you're going to be racing with what the tires of choice and/or spec tire is.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hope that helps a bit
you use muchmore 32s for carpet....i thought the 24s were suited more for carpet?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theatriks
you use muchmore 32s for carpet....i thought the 24s were suited more for carpet?
Usually when a track specs a tire, they go with a harder tire for longer wear, thus fewer sets required to finish a season.

With open tires, you could just change compounds through the day to maintain the same handling and speed.

With a spec tire, you have to stay on top of your chassis adjustments to stay [or get] fast.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
Usually when a track specs a tire, they go with a harder tire for longer wear, thus fewer sets required to finish a season.

With open tires, you could just change compounds through the day to maintain the same handling and speed.

With a spec tire, you have to stay on top of your chassis adjustments to stay [or get] fast.

what is a spec tire ....at my club we can use any tire we want except for tcs sooo i dont know what u mean by that
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theatriks
what is a spec tire ....at my club we can use any tire we want except for tcs sooo i dont know what u mean by that
Spec tire means either the track, or the club has decided that everyone is only allowed to use one tire brand and compound.

If you can use any tire you want [except TCS], your club has an OPEN tire rule, no restrictions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.