R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation RC DRIFT CAR won't turn right, but turns left

Hi, I just bought an RC drift car yesterday. It has a pistol grip control. So when I was driving it yesterday, it turns left when I tell it to, but not turning right%&*!? Is there a problem with the servo? Please help, and if you need any pictures or video please say so. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
playerbest4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Run oval Kidding. Check your end points on transmitter. Take servo out of car to see if there is something binding the servo. If servo turns both ways when out of the car then its something binding. If it does not turn, then its most likely the servo.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Also possible the servo horn was installed when the servo wasn't centered. Take the servo horn off and see if it tirun both ways like described above. if it does, then leave the radio and servo on, and reattach the servo horn to the servo. Reattach it so the wheels are as straight as possible, then fine tune from there.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Default Thank you, but how to remove servo

Hi, I don't actually know how to remove a servo, can you maybe direct me to a website? And what is the servo horn? Please help, thank you.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

check your steering setting on remote or just reset it to factory default before you start any diassembly!
hotdognobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you know what type of car it is maybe download the manual and learn about the parts in the car first, this will definately help with the terminology that people post in their answers.

I will also help you with understanding parts of the car and what they do.

The steering servo is the part that turns your steering. When you turn the wheel on your radio it send a signal to the car and it then turns teh steering.

If it is not centered on the splines of the steering servo it may only turn one way. As somebody else said it could be binding up or settings on teh radio may not be right, so there are lots of things that could be wrong.

Is there a local hobbyshop close by? If there is i am sure they will be able to assist, or a local racing track or a drift meet if you have a drift car that you could talk with the locals and get some advise.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
Tech Master

Got your PM. Better to try to help you on this thread. There might be something I don't think of that somebody else does, and there might be someone else with a similar problem who the thread could help. There aren't any dumb RC questions. 11 or 12 years ago I didn't know how any of this stuff worked either LOL.

Servo is the electronic part that moves when you turn the steering wheel on radio. The servo horn is a plastic or metal piece that's connected to the gear on the front of the servo. That piece is then connected to the steering linkage on the car by some metal rods (turnbuckles). You need to take the servo horn off so you can see if the servo is moving in both directions by itself. You will probably have to remove the servo from chassis, there should just be a few screws holding it on. Usually on the underside of the chassis. Unscrew them, then lift the servo up. Thread the screws back into the mounts so you don't lose them. Now look at the servo horn. There should be a screw in the middle that holds the horn to the servo. Unscrew that, then pull the servo horn off, it will be a little tight. After it's off, turn on the radio and car. See if the servo moves equally in both directions. If it does, the servo is probably okay, and just may not have been centered. Leave radio and car on, and install servo horn so it's perpindicular (straight up and down) to the servo case. Reinstall servo and see if it works.

This is how it would go on most cars. It would help if we know what car you have, be even better if you had pictures. If you bought something that has en electronic drift assist module in it, there could be a problem there, but can't say till we know what we're dealing with.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Thank You!

Thank you for helping me, I am a newbie to taking apart RC car. So here is my RC car link search Drift GT Elite Speed 1:10 Electric RTR RC Car on Google and click on hobbytron website and go the bottom and the picutre on the left is that of the front end. Is the pyramid shaped thing the servo, and is the white part the horn? So I took it apart, and here is a pic file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/DSC00460.JPG"]file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/DSC00460.JPG, if that link doesn't work, here is a vid, I took the servo out and as you can see, the engine doesn't go the other way. I can't add URL, so add www to this youtube.com/user/playerbest4 Anything else to do? Please tell me. I only bought this 3 days ago, so if it is a problem with a servo, should I return it ? Or should I replace the servo. Please help, I got this as a birthday present. All comments will be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your car probably needs to be returned if it can't turn one way.

That's what I would think of as a toy grade car and not hobby grade. Hobby grade is what most of this forum supports as the pieces (electronics/parts) can be replaced.

What you pulled out of some kind of little motor that somehow attaches to the steering rack. A servo sort of does this same thing but its usually in a small sealed box and can be pulled out as one unit and replaced.

Sorry for the bad news!
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by playerbest4 View Post
Thank you for helping me, I am a newbie to taking apart RC car. So here is my RC car link search Drift GT Elite Speed 1:10 Electric RTR RC Car on Google and click on hobbytron website and go the bottom and the picutre on the left is that of the front end. Is the pyramid shaped thing the servo, and is the white part the horn? So I took it apart, and here is a pic file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/DSC00460.JPG"]file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/DSC00460.JPG, if that link doesn't work, here is a vid, I took the servo out and as you can see, the engine doesn't go the other way. I can't add URL, so add www to this youtube.com/user/playerbest4 Anything else to do? Please tell me. I only bought this 3 days ago, so if it is a problem with a servo, should I return it ? Or should I replace the servo. Please help, I got this as a birthday present. All comments will be appreciated.
Have hobby shop check it out but they might charge you so if you have a track around any one should help. Are you located anywhere in San Diego?
hotdognobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Default Thank You

No, I live in Plymouth, MN.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
Tech Master

Cant see your pics. post a reply, insert the pics from your computer, then click "upload". But yeah, that's not a hobby grade car, may or may not be able to repair it.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
Suspended

Check your end points on transmitter. Take servo out of RC Cars to see if there is something binding the servo. If servo turns both ways when out of the car then its something binding. If it does not turn, then its most likely the servo.

Regards
Sid
sid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guys, this is a toy grade car.

http://www.hobbytron.com/DriftGTFerr...cRTRRCCar.html

Sorry, playerbest4, you are best to return the car for a new one. Better yet, if you're trying to get into RC and want a new car, you should probably get a refund and start over with something like this...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5A_System.html
or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Rally_Car.html

Not the best cars ever, but they are much closer to hobby grade cars, and replacement parts are available in case your break something. You'll still need a transmitter, battery, and charger, but Hobby King has some basic stuff that's not too expensive. You're probably looking at $110-$125 all said and done.

Also, you can check the for sale section of this site, or other sites. You can get a pretty good deal on used stuff, and wind up with some quality equipment and a "real" hobby grade vehicle.
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by playerbest4 View Post
....and here is a pic file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/DSC00460.JPG"]file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/DSC00460.JPG,....
You just posted a link to a file on the hard drive of your personal computer, which will not work for anyone. If you want to post a picture, you'll need to upload it to a sharing website, such as www.tinypic.com. On there, upload your picture, then copy and paste the link that has the "[img ] ....[/img ]" around it into your post and your picture will show up.

Also, this is a servo...

This is a servo horn...

This is a servo horn attached to a servo...

This is a servo mounted in a car connected to the steering linkages. As the servo turns back and forth, the front wheels turn to the left or right.

Edit: I looked at your video.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Yes, you have a toy (Toys-R-Us) grade car. There's no "servo" on that car. That's just a little DC motor that moves the steering linkages back and forth. There's ZERO control with this type of set up. In other words, there's no variable steering; the steering is either straight, left, or right. Very cheaply made. Take it back.

Last edited by Corners; 09-26-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote