R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Lightest Pinion and Spur Gears? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/547430-lightest-pinion-spur-gears.html)

@Art_Mighty 09-02-2011 09:46 AM

Lightest Pinion and Spur Gears?

Who manufactures the lightest pinion and spur gears?

@Art_Mighty 09-02-2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty (Post 9606487)

So, does nobody know or is this one of those secret sauce sort of things that no one wants everyone to know (if so, I welcome PM's) :D

wtcc 09-02-2011 02:28 PM

I don't know if these are the lightest but they look like they are : Litemodz Ultra Premium Pinions

Spurs...maybe the Robitronic Delrin spurs...?

Jammin23 09-02-2011 03:39 PM

Ive got a kimbrough carbon fibre pinion and that weighs hardly anything il weigh it when I get a chance

Infinite 12th 09-02-2011 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty (Post 9606487)

Why do want lightest?

Not sure motor can tell the difference really?

Of course something lighter will slow down and start faster in linear time based physics

So I think in short courses with 180's these lighter components will work more efficient regarding batteries

Power band will also play a part in lighter gearing

So many variables but I think lighter cars like 12th will only feel a difference and barely as I've never noticed and I've raced with both light and heavy gears

Just a opinion

Much respect :p

bertrandsv87 09-02-2011 04:54 PM

In my opinion ,the Hirosaka gears are not only the lightest but also the better designed gears out there !!!! The coefficient of friction between hirosaka pinions and spurs seems much lower than kimbrough, Robinson, etc..... I have them in my mod tc4, and I can tell you they are awesome : less motor heat ,battery mileage is perfect !!!!

@Art_Mighty 09-02-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th (Post 9607876)
Why do want lightest?

... it's a somewhat fanatical desire to remove as much rotating mass from the drive train as possible. I'm not sure of the math on this one but from my understanding there's something like a 10:1 effect that rotating mass has on acceleration (as apposed to static mass). Taking away a single gram from the drive train has the same effect on acceleration of taking 10 grams of static mass away from the car.

if you google the topic that 10:1 ratio keeps coming up...

AreCee 09-02-2011 05:29 PM

PRS, nice gears.

Infinite 12th 09-02-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty (Post 9608054)
... it's a somewhat fanatical desire to remove as much rotating mass from the drive train as possible. I'm not sure of the math on this one but from my understanding there's something like a 10:1 effect that rotating mass has on acceleration (as apposed to static mass). Taking away a single gram from the drive train has the same effect on acceleration of taking 10 grams of static mass away from the car.

if you google the topic that 10:1 ratio keeps coming up...

Thanks for that answer! I always had the aluminum pinion and regular plasitic 64 but never remember any difference in how I or the car performed. I'm guessing just a speed reflection cause perhaps there could be considered a gyro effect to some degree

Now we are getting complicated :weird:

Also you have the reverse effect correct? Does a heavier hear have more inertia hence needs less motor...lol

lol

1101 09-02-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty (Post 9608054)
... it's a somewhat fanatical desire to remove as much rotating mass from the drive train as possible....

You will want to remove the wheels then. :nod: :nod:
They have so much rotating mass they will swamp any effect from a lighter pinion/spur

bertrandsv87 09-02-2011 06:44 PM

With spec tires at most events, there is no advantage there, unless you start removing (3grams+) material from each plastic wheel and rubber tire with a tire truer ! Anyways, if you plan to reduce rotational weight accross the board , then Hirosaka Gears are a good choice !

Infinite 12th 09-02-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1101 (Post 9608308)
You will want to remove the wheels then. :nod: :nod:
They have so much rotating mass they will swamp any effect from a lighter pinion/spur

lol...Dude the wheel-less Rc car does't come out til 2013 :lol:

mooby64 09-02-2011 09:36 PM

Hot Racing has some very light alum. pinion gears. Hobby Etc. carries them. They look very similar to the Trinity gears.

@Art_Mighty 09-02-2011 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th (Post 9608077)
Thanks for that answer! I always had the aluminum pinion and regular plasitic 64 but never remember any difference in how I or the car performed. I'm guessing just a speed reflection cause perhaps there could be considered a gyro effect to some degree

Now we are getting complicated :weird:

Also you have the reverse effect correct? Does a heavier car have more inertia hence needs less motor...lol

lol

I was pondering the gyro effect with a colleague at work today so it's interesting you bring that up. As for your second point, I think any sort of flywheel effect is a bad thing considering it would help preserve momentum but at the same time slow down acceleration.

@Art_Mighty 09-02-2011 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 9608372)
With spec tires at most events, there is no advantage there, unless you start removing (3grams+) material from each plastic wheel and rubber tire with a tire truer ...

... also under consideration. ;)