R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2011, 03:21 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run RW steel pinions. They are definatley not light, however they are bullet proof so its one less thing that will go wrong with my car. With the torque of a brushless motor I see little advantge to trival things such as lightweight drivetrains and diffs. If weight was a factor then why is everyone running a heavy geardiff in their TC's when a ball diff is lighter?

If you want free speed try balancing your tires.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
I run RW steel pinions. They are definatley not light, however they are bullet proof so its one less thing that will go wrong with my car. With the torque of a brushless motor I see little advantge to trival things such as lightweight drivetrains and diffs. If weight was a factor then why is everyone running a heavy geardiff in their TC's when a ball diff is lighter?

If you want free speed try balancing your tires.
Yeah right?

...that's just it. Weight *IS* a factor. IMHO, the reason everyone is running gear diffs is that properly set ball diffs slip a little (especially in the rear). There's also the constant rebuilding that ball diffs require. For my part I'm keeping my ball diff with it's plastic outdrives in back with a spool up front.

You are right about the tires. I have a balancer inbound.

Sponsored By - http://enginesbyotto.com/ & my wallet (mostly my wallet actually...)

ALL IS LOST
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Yeah right?

...that's just it. Weight *IS* a factor. IMHO, the reason everyone is running gear diffs is that properly set ball diffs slip a little (especially in the rear). There's also the constant rebuilding that ball diffs require. For my part I'm keeping my ball diff with it's plastic outdrives in back with a spool up front.

You are right about the tires. I have a balancer inbound.
Fair enough... May I suggest you look at a new chassis then? Your TA-05 is massively heavy when you could have a much lighter high end chassis that is easily under weight so you could benefit from better weight position/placement. This will yield considerably more performance increase than any lightweight pinion.

I wouldn't worry about your gear so much... A pinion that works will never be the reason you won or lost any race. Spending $ on gear for speed doesn't work as the only thing that makes you faster can't be brought in a shop. Look at lighter pinions "when" you need new ones.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #19
Suspended

The weight of the gears is not as important as the friction between them ! The edges of the teeth in a pinion gear are the main area causing most of the friction, and few gear manufacturers out there cut these edges ! Hirosaka pinions have cut edges, are polished, lightened, and have two grub screw holes in them in case you strip one the grub screws. Their spur gears also seem polished, and are thinner(3mm) than most other manufacturers ! The way these gears give more speed is by allowing the racer to gear higher without causing more heat !!!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
PRS, nice gears.
Very durable as well.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Default Product guide

mrosupply.com/category/197-Gears%20&%20Gear%20Rack
mrosupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
IMHO, the reason everyone is running gear diffs is that properly set ball diffs slip a little (especially in the rear). There's also the constant rebuilding that ball diffs require.l .
For the novice to intermediate racer, the biggest hurdles with the ball diff are setting it correctly to start, and then setting it the same after subsequent rebuilds and runs. The gear diff greatly reduces the variables in this, making it much easier to get the same settings/feel every run and after each rebuild.

The (packed) gear diff will be more of a help in front on a touring car, you actually want it TO have a little bit of give that a (slipper) spool will not. Gear diff in the rear is not quite as big an advantage over a properly setup ball diff.

Weight difference between gears/spurs? Not important. <shrug>