Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What makes a locked rear diff better for drifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default What makes a locked rear diff better for drifting

I have a TT01 that I can drift very well. I got my transitions down and I get better and better but I am starting to wonder if a locked diff is really necessary.

What's the deal? Why is it always recommended when I don't even have it done but drifting is so easy now.?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

If it's what I'm thinking about this is it:

Turn the tires of most RC's. The opposite tire will turn the opposite direction. This is due to the differential. The diff allows the tires to turn at different speeds when in a turn. The outside tire spins faster than the inside tire

Now a locked diff means that both tires will turn at the same rate. This leads to reduced traction and thus when turning at speed, the traction will break a lot easier than a normal diff

In off road conditions, a locked diff will give more traction because of the slower speeds, but with street conditions you'll lose traction because of high speeds

So for street you can break traction easily and be able to drift, as well as drift longer as the traction will pretty much be lost until you reach a a slow enough speed to gain traction back

Hope that helped explain it a little
Old 09-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Consistency