Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I "slow down" RC18R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How do I "slow down" RC18R?

I'm new to this forum and haven't had much RC experience until recently. I just bought a 1/18 Associated RC18R Citroen RTR and just ran it for the first time this morning. I bought the thing hoping I could use it indoors to some degree but the thing is just too darn fast!...Right out of the box, completely stock!

Can anyone who knows the RC18 series tell me if it's possible to reduce the speed on this thing? Unlike so many others, I am not looking for extreme speed. I just want to be able to use the car and not lose control of it! I know some cars/transmitters have a "training mode" that keeps the speeds low until you turn it back to standard driving mode. So far, I've not seen that feature on mine.

Any input about my options would be appreciated.

Rick
Old 09-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmichalicek1
I'm new to this forum and haven't had much RC experience until recently. I just bought a 1/18 Associated RC18R Citroen RTR and just ran it for the first time this morning. I bought the thing hoping I could use it indoors to some degree but the thing is just too darn fast!...Right out of the box, completely stock!

Can anyone who knows the RC18 series tell me if it's possible to reduce the speed on this thing? Unlike so many others, I am not looking for extreme speed. I just want to be able to use the car and not lose control of it! I know some cars/transmitters have a "training mode" that keeps the speeds low until you turn it back to standard driving mode. So far, I've not seen that feature on mine.

Rick
Not sure if you can do it on the stock transmitter but if there is anything like an "EXPO" setting for the throttle then turn that down, limiting the throttle signal travel.

Other than that maybe a physical limiter on the trigger?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:26 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmichalicek1

Rick
Turndown the throttle hi point on the radio. This should let you find a speed you are comfortable with.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
Turndown the throttle hi point on the radio. This should let you find a speed you are comfortable with.
Sean, what's the minimum input voltage for the included esc?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can also just get a pinion gear (the one on the motor) that's a tooth or 2 smaller. Gears are about $5. When we started racing with BL systems in the 1/18 cars we found out in a hurry the track wouldn't hold them, and gearing down was the best option. You're right, they scoot pretty good even with the stock electronics. They're a blast to race if you ever get a chance.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

rc18r rtr never had a brushless version, they're not that fast out of the box.

stock radio has epa or atv, set the throttle side to 50% to reduce speed.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

This may sound dumb but why not use a bit of restraint on the throttle finger? Other than that it may cost a bit to replace the radio and or batteries (like using a 4 or 5 cell pack). Gearing down would help slow the top end but the acceleration would be quicker and easier to spin out. If all else fails tape a small block behind the throttle to limit it's travel thereby slowing the car.

I don't think there are EPAs on the RTR Tiger/Associated radio only trim pots and reverse switches.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

4 AA's should work fine. The original 18T had an optional 4 cell battery holder and strap.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Rick