Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is it a smart idea to true down 10th touring foams >

Is it a smart idea to true down 10th touring foams

Is it a smart idea to true down 10th touring foams

Old 11-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default gluing edge

you don't have to glue the whole side wall unless you're racing on high bite conditions like at the U.S. Indoor Champs. initially, racers would glue the area b/t the rim and foam to keep the foam from peeling away from the rim. but then later it was found out that gluing your sidewalls would take grip away so your car wouldn't traction roll. so really, you shouldn't glue the whole side wall unless you need to.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: gluing edge

Originally posted by Apex
you don't have to glue the whole side wall unless you're racing on high bite conditions like at the U.S. Indoor Champs. initially, racers would glue the area b/t the rim and foam to keep the foam from peeling away from the rim. but then later it was found out that gluing your sidewalls would take grip away so your car wouldn't traction roll. so really, you shouldn't glue the whole side wall unless you need to.
Great..........completely understood and make perfect sence...thanks.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by damo
You can sand the 36rs, and get more runs out of them. Just meet someone with a sander, and try it out.
Do I sand them using just a sanding drum bit on my dremmel tool or do I have to use a tire truing machine? I could just gently shim the surface with the dremmel....I guess.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Only use a tire lathe.

An out of round tire will loose much needed contact and skip and shudder down the track.

Bribe the Tire Lathe guy at the track with a beverage just like you bribe the guy with the Comm Lathe to do his voodoo on your motor every week.

Go to rcpimp.com

to find rollout charts for your car and print them out to keep for reference when at the track. You'll change pinions as your tire diameters become smaller.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: gluing edge

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Great..........completely understood and make perfect sence...thanks.
some tuning advice...a tire with a rounded edge creates more grip than a square edge. so if you're on high bite conditions you may not want to round too much and keep the edge somewhat squared.