R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-09-2004, 03:30 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Losi Will

Quote:
Originally posted by evaa
i beg to disagree, i tried putting a voltmeter on the cell when trayed, when the lights dim thats around 0.9v, if you wait for the lights to shut off, then that would be less than 0.9v.

as to the resistors not allowing the cells to go negative, wont the resistors keep on discharging as long as the cells are in the tray? i beleive it doesnt stop.
Both the realtime 2 and the integy octane 2 have 0.0v cutoffs. They will NEVER put the cells into reversal.
Losi Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:05 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my 2 cents:
the cell is never FULLY discharged with the RT2 as soon as the lights go out.
Anyway, the resistors used are not accurate enough to cause a dim at exactly 0.9V.
I tray it with a Robitronics tray after the RT2, and that really brings it down to 0.9V, with a sure stop. It is far more accurate because it has a diode that prevents less than 0.9V.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:21 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

put a digital volt meter... it gets it close.... 0.93 ish.. with a .02 fluctuance ... not bad

im not that picky.

discharge to 5.4 on t30, then tray it for a couple of secs to equalize... then give it a nice charge
RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:59 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Losi Will
Both the realtime 2 and the integy octane 2 have 0.0v cutoffs. They will NEVER put the cells into reversal. [/QUOTE

well if thats how you see it, then good luck.
evaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Losi Will

I've used the octane 2 for about 7 months now leaving specific packs on the tray for a week or more...and have never had a cell go into reversal.
If you want a tray that shuts off at 0.9v, then buy one with 0.9v cutoff. Don't buy a tray with a 0.0v cutoff and babysit it. By disconnecting the cells as the LEDs go off on an octane or RT2 you aren't even equalizing the packs because you will never be able to disconnect them at the same voltage.
Losi Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:23 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I never had the Trinity Real Time 2 Tray; but, I understand it has the same functionality as the Integy Octane 2. My Octane 2 just sits in its box these days. Too much hassle for me in discharging my 4/6 cell packs.

I use the Novak Smart Tray. Its default setting is to automatically cutoff each cell individually at .9V per cell. Or, you can set it to cutoff at any .1V increment from .9V down to 0V per cell. Don't have to babysit it to get these results which saves me from having to watch a pack discharge.

There is a certain way your packs have to be assembled in order to fit into the Smart Tray. With the soldering bars at each end of the pack facing away from the tray, the positive end of the cells needs to be located in the lower right corner as you place it on the tray.

I know I have taken us away from the topic; but, the Smart Tray has been a vast improvement over the old technology.

One point is that the Smart Tray only discharges at 2.6 amps. The others do it at 20 amps.

If you intend to dead short all the time, the Real Time 2 and Octane 2 do have their place. I don't dead short; but, if I ever decide to, I can still do it with the Smart Tray.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.

Last edited by JRX-S Bill; 11-10-2004 at 09:50 PM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:52 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't think you can put a cell into reversal in a tray.If an individual cell is discharged to 0.0v it is then "empty" and just stops.Cell reversal occurs when an individual cell reaches 0.0v while the entire pack is still under load and current flowing through the dead cell from the others reverses the polarity.

I hava a real time 2.5 and an Indi booster 2 and neither of them are very precise-the lights go out around .9v.My batts do perk up a bit if I pull them down under .2v every now and then but it takes a long time in the tray to get them down that far.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by DrOlds
I don't think you can put a cell into reversal in a tray.If an individual cell is discharged to 0.0v it is then "empty" and just stops.Cell reversal occurs when an individual cell reaches 0.0v while the entire pack is still under load and current flowing through the dead cell from the others reverses the polarity.
Nice explanation about traying and cell reversal. Makes sense. Thanks.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote