R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #61
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 147
Default Thinking about the op 12.1c

I currently have an associated r5.1. I am pondering on the following:

1. Associated 5.1 in line conversion;
2. CEFX griffin conversion;
3. On Point c12.1

Seeing as I am on the onpoint thread, I assume that most/any responses will favour the on-point.
However, has anyone here done a comparison, or had any one of the other 2 chassis?
how do the cars feel against one another?
Lohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #62
Tech Addict
 
Robert_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Netherlands, Sweet Lake City
Posts: 500
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohan View Post
I currently have an associated r5.1. I am pondering on the following:

1. Associated 5.1 in line conversion;
2. CEFX griffin conversion;
3. On Point c12.1

Seeing as I am on the onpoint thread, I assume that most/any responses will favour the on-point.
However, has anyone here done a comparison, or had any one of the other 2 chassis?
how do the cars feel against one another?
I have been driving for Associated for a couple of years. Together with a mate we drove the L4, R5, R5.1 and the R5.1 Inline. Associated has some nice cars. But the aluminum sometimes is just butter. Together with the other driver we bent like 10 motor mounts of the R5 in two season.
A big disadvantage of the R5.1 (inline) is that the motor pod tweaks like hell. If you just look at it, it's already tweakt. Now we are both driving the on-point and this is awesome. The pod almost doesn't tweak, and if it tweaks it doesn't tweak that much as the associated.

Also different is the battery position. I can position the battery in the On-point more forward and backward, and with the inline version you can online place it in one place.

I've tested the Associated with the on-point back to back, And i'm faster, I think due to the higher corner speed, with the On-Point with 3 tents at the fast lap.

SO for me I'm really happy to drive the on-point right now. For the CEFX I don't know. I haven't used it.

Regards Robert
__________________
Sponsored by: Schumacher Racing and Dualsky
Supported by: Shepherd Benelux and Thunder Tiger.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #63
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: lost...
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Robert, how do you intially set up the side springs on your On Point?
RoyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #64
Tech Elite
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk
Default

would it be reasonable to convert a 5.1 to this chassis adding only damper tubes? running the 5.1 onpoint chassis and its fast, but i have had a few aluminum parts tweak. my motor plate is f-d.

without buying a 5.2, what would it cost to get this and build it up from a complete 5.1?
__________________
My stuff
| Team Associated - Reedy - Reflex Racing/RSD - ProAMPS RC |
My RC
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #65
Tech Addict
 
Robert_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Netherlands, Sweet Lake City
Posts: 500
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyU View Post
Robert, how do you intially set up the side springs on your On Point?
When I build or rebuild the car, I make sure the spring retainers are at the same distance from the carbon holder with a caliper. The I check the side springs if they are (almost) the same length. When there is more then 2mm of a difference i replace them.
Then, I start to turn the side spring screws, until the very first moment they touch. I try to screw both springs equally!
When I'm ready rebuilding the car I use the 'coin' method to tweak it. Normally when the car is straight (no carbon tweak) it takes a 1/8 or 1/4 turn to get the spring tension right with the coin trick.
After that I put the car on 4 scales to confirm it's straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
would it be reasonable to convert a 5.1 to this chassis adding only damper tubes? running the 5.1 onpoint chassis and its fast, but i have had a few aluminum parts tweak. my motor plate is f-d.

without buying a 5.2, what would it cost to get this and build it up from a complete 5.1?
I understand you have a complete 5.1 right now? The only thing you need then is a On-Point conversion. I converted a 5.1 from a friend of mine. The Black Tubes are with the On-Point conversion. And it's much stronger (carbon and aluminum) then the Associated. The other racer wrecked a chassis, a pod and 5 motor plates in one season. With the On-Point the only thing that's wrecked are his body's...
Just check it at the website: http://www.onpointracing.com

Here's My On-Point for which I bought all black stuff (left) and the Associated 5.1 converted On-Point (right)


Regards Robert
__________________
Sponsored by: Schumacher Racing and Dualsky
Supported by: Shepherd Benelux and Thunder Tiger.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #66
Tech Elite
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk
Default

Onpoint doesnt come with shock/ axle ect though? Id prob convert my wgt and buy hubs as the 5.1 i have now would be an excellent stock car. Looking for a new chassis for 10.5/mod.

Is there a different pn? The ones i see around for $200 say they need tubes ect. Would it basically be the same as a 12r5 then dollar wise?
__________________
My stuff
| Team Associated - Reedy - Reflex Racing/RSD - ProAMPS RC |
My RC
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #67
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 147
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
I have been driving for Associated for a couple of years. Together with a mate we drove the L4, R5, R5.1 and the R5.1 Inline. Associated has some nice cars. But the aluminum sometimes is just butter. Together with the other driver we bent like 10 motor mounts of the R5 in two season.
A big disadvantage of the R5.1 (inline) is that the motor pod tweaks like hell. If you just look at it, it's already tweakt. Now we are both driving the on-point and this is awesome. The pod almost doesn't tweak, and if it tweaks it doesn't tweak that much as the associated.

Also different is the battery position. I can position the battery in the On-point more forward and backward, and with the inline version you can online place it in one place.

I've tested the Associated with the on-point back to back, And i'm faster, I think due to the higher corner speed, with the On-Point with 3 tents at the fast lap.

SO for me I'm really happy to drive the on-point right now. For the CEFX I don't know. I haven't used it.

Regards Robert
Thanks for such a well informed answer.

I have to say that I've had the misfortune of having a TOP PHOTON at one time, and the aluminium was blamange!

I am a bit of a tweek freak, so that information was particularly useful
Lohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #68
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 147
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
I have been driving for Associated for a couple of years. Together with a mate we drove the L4, R5, R5.1 and the R5.1 Inline. Associated has some nice cars. But the aluminum sometimes is just butter. Together with the other driver we bent like 10 motor mounts of the R5 in two season.
A big disadvantage of the R5.1 (inline) is that the motor pod tweaks like hell. If you just look at it, it's already tweakt. Now we are both driving the on-point and this is awesome. The pod almost doesn't tweak, and if it tweaks it doesn't tweak that much as the associated.

Also different is the battery position. I can position the battery in the On-point more forward and backward, and with the inline version you can online place it in one place.

I've tested the Associated with the on-point back to back, And i'm faster, I think due to the higher corner speed, with the On-Point with 3 tents at the fast lap.

SO for me I'm really happy to drive the on-point right now. For the CEFX I don't know. I haven't used it.

Regards Robert
Thanks for such a well informed answer.

I have to say that I've had the misfortune of having a TOP PHOTON at one time, and the aluminium was blamange!

I am a bit of a tweak freak, so that information was particularly useful
Lohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #69
Tech Addict
 
Robert_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Netherlands, Sweet Lake City
Posts: 500
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default



On-Point is one of the Sponsors of the 2013 SnowBirds Nationals. Come and visit the On-Point team voor tips and tricks. Don't forget to buy tickets to win your On-Point kit!

Regards Robert
__________________
Sponsored by: Schumacher Racing and Dualsky
Supported by: Shepherd Benelux and Thunder Tiger.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #70
Tech Addict
 
Robert_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Netherlands, Sweet Lake City
Posts: 500
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
Onpoint doesnt come with shock/ axle ect though? Id prob convert my wgt and buy hubs as the 5.1 i have now would be an excellent stock car. Looking for a new chassis for 10.5/mod.

Is there a different pn? The ones i see around for $200 say they need tubes ect. Would it basically be the same as a 12r5 then dollar wise?
Maybe I'm mistaken, but if I'm correct the OP12C.1 (PN: OP300B.1) has:
- On-Point Lipo Racing Chassis OP12C.1 (Black anodized)
- Pod plates
- Shock mount
- Stand offs
- Damper tubes,
- Front end bulk heads

So, You still need:
- Rear Axle
- Center Damper
- Linkage
- Side Springs
- Body Posts
- Front suspension (without the Bulkheads)

Regards Robert
__________________
Sponsored by: Schumacher Racing and Dualsky
Supported by: Shepherd Benelux and Thunder Tiger.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #71
Tech Addict
 
Robert_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Netherlands, Sweet Lake City
Posts: 500
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

So I've also been testing the linkage. And I'm having a hard time getting the Assocaited Linkage 'right'. It always has play, or isn't smooth... So I tried the Kyosho Parts from the Plazma and the quality of the parts is u huge difference. It's so much better. It's smooth and has almost zero play. To bad the Kyo parts are expencive and hard to find

Regards Robert
__________________
Sponsored by: Schumacher Racing and Dualsky
Supported by: Shepherd Benelux and Thunder Tiger.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #72
Tech Elite
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk
Default

Ok so it does have tubes. When i looked at the pic on stormer they looked like a front brace or Something lol.
Do i need other hardware for them or just the rod ends? Just rip my 5.1 onpoint appart and swap everything over?
__________________
My stuff
| Team Associated - Reedy - Reflex Racing/RSD - ProAMPS RC |
My RC
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #73
Tech Master
 
LonnyJ1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ. USA
Posts: 1,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
So I've also been testing the linkage. And I'm having a hard time getting the Assocaited Linkage 'right'. It always has play, or isn't smooth... So I tried the Kyosho Parts from the Plazma and the quality of the parts is u huge difference. It's so much better. It's smooth and has almost zero play. To bad the Kyo parts are expencive and hard to find

Regards Robert
Serpent parts are pretty widely available and are not too expensive. Much better quality and very little play.
__________________
Lonny
LonnyJ1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #74
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 147
Default

Out of interest, has anyone ever tried the Hot Bodies cyclone front suspension on the on point car
Lohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #75
Tech Addict
 
Robert_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Netherlands, Sweet Lake City
Posts: 500
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
Ok so it does have tubes. When i looked at the pic on stormer they looked like a front brace or Something lol.
Do i need other hardware for them or just the rod ends? Just rip my 5.1 onpoint appart and swap everything over?
Yes, the build picture from On-Point doesn't show the tubes.



I did a 5.1 swap, and the Rod-Ends and ball's is a good one. You need 4 pieces for the tubes of both. The set-screws and other tube-parts are in the kit.

Regards Robert
__________________
Sponsored by: Schumacher Racing and Dualsky
Supported by: Shepherd Benelux and Thunder Tiger.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On-Point Racing On-Point Racing Team and Company Discussions 402 12-04-2015 03:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:13 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net