Search
Like Tree35Likes

Are all "Blinky" class ESCs equal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Can I be cheeky and ask a couple of semi related questions to this?

As a mod off road guy interested in doing a bit of tc (but with a car not ideal for mod), ideally I want esc's which can handle mod and stock, and lrp is my weapon of choice (I only have mac's and lrp are I believe the only ones with mac compatible software). Anyway, my questions are:

Can lrp sxx tc v2's be used in blinky, can they be set for it, or only the sxx stock spec?

Secondly, wasn't blinky originally only for 2011, is there still a new class for next year where it will be unprogrammable stock esc's only? Or is blinky carrying on??

As an aside as a rules issue, it's a pain if esc's are only good for one class, I prefer to use the same one for several applications!
Yes, it is listed on the ROAR approved non timing esc's list.
http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=737

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Can I be cheeky and ask a couple of semi related questions to this?

As a mod off road guy interested in doing a bit of tc (but with a car not ideal for mod), ideally I want esc's which can handle mod and stock, and lrp is my weapon of choice (I only have mac's and lrp are I believe the only ones with mac compatible software). Anyway, my questions are:

Can lrp sxx tc v2's be used in blinky, can they be set for it, or only the sxx stock spec?

Secondly, wasn't blinky originally only for 2011, is there still a new class for next year where it will be unprogrammable stock esc's only? Or is blinky carrying on??

As an aside as a rules issue, it's a pain if esc's are only good for one class, I prefer to use the same one for several applications!
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Yes all v2 have Blinky setting option.

Lrp Manual attached.
Look carefully under "Special Features" on the 2nd page. It says:
"Advise: if value #0 is choosen for Mode.3 the blue LED will flash in neutral position in normal operation to indicate
that entire timing advancement is disabled completely for „true stock racing“ as required by certain federations!"
Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Blinky was originally designed for "sportsman" and "novice" not "Stock."

Currently Stock is 17.5, super stock is 13.5, and mod. These were the classes that were on schedule for the ROAR Paved Nats.

roar capet nats ran 21.5 blinky 17.5 blinky and Mod
Old 08-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Blinky was originally designed for "sportsman" and "novice" not "Stock."

Currently Stock is 17.5, super stock is 13.5, and mod. These were the classes that were on schedule for the ROAR Paved Nats.

Offroad nats did not allow for any Super Stock class.

Blinky is easy and I get that. For the new guy just getting into it works. But for those of us that have been racing for decades stock to us was brushed motors, round cells, comm lathes,etc. Blinky is just another name for an "easy" button.

Eliminating this technology will not force others into the mod classes to find their passionately missed "mama speed." They will drop down and whup on everyone at the local track, still.

Tekin hasn't even tapped into this "Market" yet so we will be just fine...
17.5 and 13.5 at the ROAR nats were both blinky.

AS far as being the easy button...I dont remember having to bring a laptop to work on my ESC at the races when we raced brushed motors. So wouldnt blinky be more like it was back then....where you just turned your ESC on and tuned everything else? Racing isnt going to change if ROAR does away with boost...the racing will always be the same just that now 1 part will be easier like it was before boost.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
AS far as being the easy button...I dont remember having to bring a laptop to work on my ESC at the races when we raced brushed motors.
We didn't bring our laptops but those who had a dyno did bring their dyno's. Just like today, those who have a laptop bring them.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
roar capet nats ran 21.5 blinky 17.5 blinky and Mod
And the 21.5 class was exhibition.

The adjustments in the esc are similar to brush and spring combinations back in the brushed days.

The "tuning" has simply gone from the motor to the esc...

The laptop requirement is now a dead issue in regard to Tekin's. As of 212 you can have not only timing profiles at hand, you can have two custom timing profiles.

Personally, you guys can have it. On road racing killed itself with $600 chassis once a year, tires that only last one run, and less than durable cars.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

And the 21.5 class was exhibition.

The adjustments in the esc are similar to brush and spring combinations back in the brushed days.

The "tuning" has simply gone from the motor to the esc...

The laptop requirement is now a dead issue in regard to Tekin's. As of 212 you can have not only timing profiles at hand, you can have two custom timing profiles.

Personally, you guys can have it. On road racing killed itself with $600 chassis once a year, tires that only last one run, and less than durable cars.
not only was it an exhibition, it was fun as all get out..

I do agree the price we pay for our little cars in crazy. theres no way they should cost that much.

reminds of when I was looking for a edlebrock intake for a ford 390.. $400 bucks or something crazy like that, i asked why so much, a SB chevy one is 129.00, answer... we don't sell that many for the 390 so we charge more, response, lower the price to 129 and I'll buy two..

I am not opposed to boosted, but I do think there is a place for blinky and its more important to the hobby/sport then boosted is. IMO
Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
We didn't bring our laptops but those who had a dyno did bring their dyno's. Just like today, those who have a laptop bring them.
More so to update their status on Facebook, Twitter & Google+

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Esc less efficient over time?

Hey guys, wondering if you all replace your speedos? Tried the search feature with no luck, do the current top esc's become less efficient over time? Some have commented that they put a brand new Esc in for big races? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arn671
Hey guys, wondering if you all replace your speedos? Tried the search feature with no luck, do the current top esc's become less efficient over time? Some have commented that they put a brand new Esc in for big races? Thanks in advance.
Its an interesting question. Many times in my experience when I tried to use some old electronics after not being used for a long time, I find it doesn't perform as well as before or doesn't function properly anymore. Perhaps you should start a thread on this and see what others have to say.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arn671
It is possible as components degrade from heat cycling. One interesting thing I have noticed myself is I have two Tekin RSpro that I use for non-timing classes, one is slow, one is fast. Both have the exact same software and settings. I have crazy in field pull with one, the other is just as fast as everyone else's. The only difference is one is newer than the other one, BUT it is the old one that is "fast" ... being that I am just club racing I've taken the faster of the two and put it in my boosted car to avoid anyone from having issue from the unnatural speed it had in non-boosted.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

So as I will be running stock 17.5 motor and my blinky class of ESC. So what is a over good starting point or points to look for in a ESC?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Why does every thread have to turn into this debate….damn.

In my neck of the woods....I have seen more electronic failures this summer racing boosted ESC then I did all last winter racing blinky….this is all in Sedan 17.5.

You are right blinky is easier to understand and that’s what is bringing people back into racing. Its when all the boost and software updates that came out there was a max exodus from on-road. We ran a whole winter season on blinky in sedan and we had more people racing then we did the year before with open ESC. The largest growing classes around are the classes that use the blinky ESC's. The reason is they are easy to use.

Racing is racing its not one or the other that isn’t going to make racing any closer than the next its just going to make it easier to handle for the masses...period.

Like any electronic device not all are created equal...so one might have a different feel then the next but there is a lot of personal perception and preference. I have seen just about all of them work and win.
+1

Personally in on road I really liked the boosted class... Liked the thought that it wasn't a "motor of the moment" class, rather was brain washed into thinking so. Locally, Blinky has brought back TC racing! When we would struggle to get 8-10 drivers out a season ago, we're now seeing 3-plus heats at a club level. Motor of the month has not been an issue and "x" battery haven't reared its ugly head yet either. (Getting back to topic) what's great is that the old speed controllers that we dropped for the smallest "boosted" enabled units are of value to us again. To answer the question from the original post, in my opinion, the best esc for Blinky is the one that feels the best for you. Personally I really like the LRP stuff. I have never used an esc that had the same throttle and brake response. Orca is very-very close (I haven't tried the latest but it looks really good) Speed Passion is very close, but nothing seems to top the LRP. What's great is that it appears that on-road is in a huge upswing locally with even some of the die-hard off-road racers making the switch.

I like this new direction. 17.5 Blinky as our "stock" class and modified if you want speed.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racer034life
So as I will be running stock 17.5 motor and my blinky class of ESC. So what is a over good starting point or points to look for in a ESC?
Budget.

With today's options it all depends what you want to spend.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

For a 79$ ESC I really like the extreme stock hobby wing ESC . Very smooth and nice brakes . I hear the just stock is just as good /smaller/ $49 but haven't tried it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.