R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
That's when you go to them and let them sponsor. Work a deal where they are "the" supplier. They lower cost to racers to have this as their class!
Having to replace something that works fine even at a discounted price isn't very appealing to a lot of people. Keep in mind when a company wants to "sponsor" a series or race it isn't always due to their altruism toward the hobby.

Our club has been running blinky in TC over a year and in 1/12th almost a year. No infighting amongst the members or finger pointing, so far no one is running out and buying motors and batteries ever meet, motors and esc's are not going up in smoke. Maybe we are just lucky or perhaps there are just a lot of unverified third hand accounts being passed off as personal experience.

Last edited by Chaz955i; 08-25-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling/ clarity
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #77
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the IIC uses a "spec" handout motor for one of its classes, for a extra 20 dollar entry fee you get a 80 dollar motor seems like a good deal to me.

and yea there is NO reason why a spec motor and esc won't work at a large event. give all the manufactors a chance to bid on being the supplier with a cap on how much the system can cost, and if that extra money is going to keep you from racing, then maybe you shouldn't be spending the rent money anyway.

remember, there used to be a time when you couldn't run your own motor in the stock classes.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
remember, there used to be a time when you couldn't run your own motor in the stock classes.
But you got to run your own ESC, brushes, and springs. So you could actually tune things!!!

As for which ESC to get, you simply cannot go wrong with a Tekin RS. Proven performance, small footprint, best customer service in the industry. Just get one, dial out all the cool stuff and it runs as well or better than any other "spec" speed controller.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #79
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
That's when you go to them and let them sponsor. Work a deal where they are "the" supplier. They lower cost to racers to have this as their class!
I agree 100% this is something that should happen here in the US at larger races. The people putting on the races should look into this. The IIC does this for its amature class....but why not for the rest of the stock classes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Having to replace something that works fine even at a discounted price isn't very appealing to a lot of people. Keep in mind when a company wants to "sponsor" a series or race it isn't always due to their altruism toward the hobby.

Our club has been running blinky in TC over a year and in 1/12th almost a year. No infighting amongst the members or finger pointing, so far no one is running out and buying motors and batteries ever meet, motors and esc's are not going up in smoke. Maybe we are just lucky or perhaps there are just a lot of unverified third hand accounts being passed off as personal experience.
I agree with the first part this is always the issue....if its not broke I dont want to pay to replace it.

Your findings mirror our local findings here in my area too....its not as bad as people want to make it out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
the IIC uses a "spec" handout motor for one of its classes, for a extra 20 dollar entry fee you get a 80 dollar motor seems like a good deal to me.

and yea there is NO reason why a spec motor and esc won't work at a large event. give all the manufactors a chance to bid on being the supplier with a cap on how much the system can cost, and if that extra money is going to keep you from racing, then maybe you shouldn't be spending the rent money anyway.

I agree with this 100% this would be ideal....now just getting it put into practice is another story. Like you said we did it before with brushed motors why not now.....???
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #80
Tech Champion

and for something such as a roar race, they could be SOLD to Roar, sealed by Roar, handed out at a Race and handed back in TO BE USED AGAIN AT A LATER RACE.

and if you burn one up, you bought it and are either A, done for the weekend or B. Pay $50 bucks for the use of a new loaner system. that will discourage intentionally burning up systems to get another if you think your system sucks.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #81
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

How many regulated classes do you need? Blinky was meant for "sportsman" and "novices."

Stock racing 10 years ago meant you raced a handout motor which you tuned. Some were better than others at doing it. Weren't these the good 'ol days?

You keep looking to restrict every aspect of facing we might as well go by Tyco cars from Walmart and race those.

ROAR already has attendance issues. Everyone racing the same esc/motor combo will likely not make it better. In the US we as customers like to have choices. Yes we have the choice to not race the class or the race, but is the message we want to send out?

If you compare racing from over seas then also include facts such as 10.5 is "stock" and in asia for example Mod is the deeper division. There's a reason that Ifmar has no "stock" classes.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #82
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
How many regulated classes do you need? Blinky was meant for "sportsman" and "novices."

Stock racing 10 years ago meant you raced a handout motor which you tuned. Some were better than others at doing it. Weren't these the good 'ol days?

You keep looking to restrict every aspect of facing we might as well go by Tyco cars from Walmart and race those.

ROAR already has attendance issues. Everyone racing the same esc/motor combo will likely not make it better. In the US we as customers like to have choices. Yes we have the choice to not race the class or the race, but is the message we want to send out?

If you compare racing from over seas then also include facts such as 10.5 is "stock" and in asia for example Mod is the deeper division. There's a reason that Ifmar has no "stock" classes.
I think you are blurring the line between stock and novice/sportsman...blinky was meant for "Stock". Stock is the bottom class but itís not necessarily the novice or beginner class...it just most times shares the same power plant. There could be a need for 4 classes....novice for the beginner....stock for whoever wants to race stock....intermediate/super stock those with better skill sets...and mod. Roar has the classes currently structured as Stock, Super Stock and Mod. Stock isnít a novice class so one shouldnít assume that itís going to be novice racers....but it is the class you normally start out in. Itís going to be filled with racers who like to race stock and all the rules that come with it.

Hand out motors and or Spec ESC's canít be too bad or else the ETS series wouldnít be as big as it is....also their "stock" class is 13.5 now down from 10.5 before.

If you are going to use facts from outside the US about 10.5 motors and such also make note that their tracks are far larger than the majority of tracks here in the US.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #83
Tech Master

Not everyone in europe is running the cirtix or blinky class. There are classes with open esc rule as well. Not everyone agrees with the blinky esc rule or the one esc rule. On a club level there are non timing classes and open esc classes. Choice is a beautiful thing..
Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #84
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Ugh...strayed off topic again.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #85
Tech Champion

my comments are only concerning the blinky class, WHICH SHOULD BE THE SPORTSMANS/STOCK CLASS

if you wish to discuss stock class vs sportsman class thats another issue.

ONCE AGAIN, not talking about boosted, or mod, just blinky. if your really interested in getting the numbers up, open the mind up.

I suppose theres a great fear among manufactors that this might catch on at the club level and some will lose a crap load of future business over it and I can understand that.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #86
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If I were to race blinky I would willingly bolt any "Handout" motor I was given to my LRP Stock Spec or good no-current-limiter ESC and go with that. If it all works correctly you should have no real difference in performance, at least not enough to decide the winner at anything other than the closest and highest-performing level. Spend the money you would have spent on the 'better' blinky ESC on tires or something else that will make you go faster around corners instead of the straight.

As a caveat to this, given the choice I would bolt like-brand motors and ESC's to each other if possible. Novak to Novak, LRP to LRP and so on.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #87
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Blinky was originally designed for "sportsman" and "novice" not "Stock."

Currently Stock is 17.5, super stock is 13.5, and mod. These were the classes that were on schedule for the ROAR Paved Nats.

Offroad nats did not allow for any Super Stock class.

Blinky is easy and I get that. For the new guy just getting into it works. But for those of us that have been racing for decades stock to us was brushed motors, round cells, comm lathes,etc. Blinky is just another name for an "easy" button.

Eliminating this technology will not force others into the mod classes to find their passionately missed "mama speed." They will drop down and whup on everyone at the local track, still.

Tekin hasn't even tapped into this "Market" yet so we will be just fine...

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #88
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Interesting subject/reading but nonetheless still redundant

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #89
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Can I be cheeky and ask a couple of semi related questions to this?

As a mod off road guy interested in doing a bit of tc (but with a car not ideal for mod), ideally I want esc's which can handle mod and stock, and lrp is my weapon of choice (I only have mac's and lrp are I believe the only ones with mac compatible software). Anyway, my questions are:

Can lrp sxx tc v2's be used in blinky, can they be set for it, or only the sxx stock spec?

Secondly, wasn't blinky originally only for 2011, is there still a new class for next year where it will be unprogrammable stock esc's only? Or is blinky carrying on??

As an aside as a rules issue, it's a pain if esc's are only good for one class, I prefer to use the same one for several applications!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #90
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Can I be cheeky and ask a couple of semi related questions to this?

As a mod off road guy interested in doing a bit of tc (but with a car not ideal for mod), ideally I want esc's which can handle mod and stock, and lrp is my weapon of choice (I only have mac's and lrp are I believe the only ones with mac compatible software). Anyway, my questions are:

Can lrp sxx tc v2's be used in blinky, can they be set for it, or only the sxx stock spec?

Secondly, wasn't blinky originally only for 2011, is there still a new class for next year where it will be unprogrammable stock esc's only? Or is blinky carrying on??

As an aside as a rules issue, it's a pain if esc's are only good for one class, I prefer to use the same one for several applications!
Yes all v2 have Blinky setting option.

Lrp Manual attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf anl_28490_ra00292-sxx-serie-vers.2-e-100519fv.pdf (273.3 KB, 327 views)

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote