R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #61
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokin Racing View Post
I tested a few combinations, found BD & Thunder Power motor as the quickest combo (in a Mi4cx)

I ever only used it in one 5min qualifer at a club meet, it was almost as quick as a 17.5 down the straight & after a few oop's moments on the track came from dead last to 2nd in 2min... It was that impressive, it made a couple of jerk off's from another club compliain to the offical body
Dont listen to this jerk he is a liar and his comments are not worth a pinch of salt just a troublemaker:f laming:
Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #62
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts71m View Post
Jerk offs hey Jim...shows what a true tool you really are buddy. I think you need to get your facts straight before you run your mouth off. It might get it knocked off your face.
If you read post #50 carefully, you'd notice I didn't name anyone, merely used the story to highlight the combo's effectiveness
Fact is, I did get a call questioning the legality, it was comical but disturbing
And it's not a wise move to threaten violence to anyone on an open forum, especially someone who works in the legal system
Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokin Racing View Post
If you read post #50 carefully, you'd notice I didn't name anyone, merely used the story to highlight the combo's effectiveness
Fact is, I did get a call questioning the legality, it was comical but disturbing
And it's not a wise move to threaten violence to anyone on an open forum, especially someone who works in the legal system
Yep your right I shouldnt have said Id smacked you in the mouth ill remove me previous remark. But instead of calling me a jerk to my face you use an open forum instead, you didnt have to mention any names, the little jab was directed at myself and our club for trying to run a clean event to the rules. Fact is you told 3 different ppl from our club you had made your motor up from 3 different motors making it a modified motor, despite what you tell others.

If you have anymore to say, say it to my face, I shall be at the hill tomorrow night.

Last edited by barts71m; 08-25-2011 at 08:44 AM.
barts71m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #64
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Lol!

Blinky mode, bringing out the best of people since 2010....

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Sorry to jump in on this thread and cause an issue. My thoughts I run blinky mode in offroad 17.5 have used both Tekin RS and Hobbywing Justock and cant tell the difference. Do feel Tekin has better brakes though.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Lol!

Blinky mode, bringing out the best of people since 2010....
Does blinky bring out some heat over in the states?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There's another feature of the tekin which is novel in itself, you can use brushed motors on it.
Hopefully soon I'll be in a position to "upgrade" and I'm thinking about getting the tekin even though it's more then the hobbywings, reasoning being is that at our local club we still use brushed 540's for a tc class.
There's talk & testing going on to phase in blinky 21.5 to replace the 540's in the future. The tekin will be good as a esc to keep running the brushed motors, then set it up for blinky mode and if I get inclined to do so use it to step up to a boosted class, thus the the extra $ will probably be well spent for a esc that will cater for 3 different modes of racing.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
They are not all the same. LRP is smoother than a Tekin by a tick, BUT NOBODY HAS CUSTOMER SERVICE LIKE TEKIN!!! If you have a problem with it you are going to have a working one in your mailbox in about a week. With the others.....when they get tired of you calling them after about 4 weeks they will "try to get it out this week" (being the 5th week) I would take my hundred that I have budgeted, throw it in a jar, and drop twenty a week in there until I had enough to get a Tekin.
You are absolutely right! Customer service is a big part of the decision making process when deciding on a "budget" speedo. There are some brands I personally stay away from for that alone because of my previous experience. Of course I won't name them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I bought a HW "Justock" a couple of months ago, so far I kind of love it, tiny footprint on the chassis, mine seems to give a superb throttle feel and good brakes, they increased the BEC voltage and my steering servo felt a little faster than on the older versions, can't find a thing wrong with it for the $60 I paid.

Add in that you can tweak settings using the LCD programmer, makes it one of the best 'zero timing' budget units you can get, and last I checked most of the HW range is now on the ROAR list, my only gripe is they failed to submit the 2.0 range of the older units, which is dumb because you can easily prove it's running the same exact firmware as a 2.1 etc, yet it still won't be legal.

When it comes to zero profile anything, I'm not sure where anything gains ground over another ESC, for sure I'm not sure where you gain much of anything spending $200 only to lock something into a zero mode, for me while I run zero I can't be assed running anything more complex.
Thanks for your input. Its a very attractive package for all the reasons you listed and you gotta love the name it has.

Guys please keep this on topic. Thanks.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #69
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
Does blinky bring out some heat over in the states?
Only if you over gear your motor.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #70
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

NO.

Some have a terrible feel. Some need a booster or receiver pack to do 1S. Some are f*ing awful to solder wires to. Some have a stupid huge capacitor. Some can't be used for mod. Some can't be used (competitively) for boosted. Some have really cheap cases.

Currently, there is no One True ESC(tm) that gets everything right. You have to pick the one that best fits your needs.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #71
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If they wanted to make it close racing wouldn't everyone have to use the same speed control and same motor?

Just a question....
jpk4ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
If they wanted to make it close racing wouldn't everyone have to use the same speed control and same motor?

Just a question....
thats how the ETS is run....spec ESC and Spec Motor for the 13.5 class....seems like a real good idea. But here in the US or any national/international set of rules its hard to limit everything to just 1 mfg with out pissing off the rest of them. So for a series or a large non-sanctioned race this will work but for a National sanctioned race ie ROAR,IFMAR or the like it wont work.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #73
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
But here in the US or any national/international set of rules its hard to limit everything to just 1 mfg with out pissing off the rest of them.
Especially with some manufacturers having an incredible sense of entitlement...
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #74
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
thats how the ETS is run....spec ESC and Spec Motor for the 13.5 class....seems like a real good idea. But here in the US or any national/international set of rules its hard to limit everything to just 1 mfg with out pissing off the rest of them. So for a series or a large non-sanctioned race this will work but for a National sanctioned race ie ROAR,IFMAR or the like it wont work.
That's when you go to them and let them sponsor. Work a deal where they are "the" supplier. They lower cost to racers to have this as their class!
jpk4ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 488 (100%+)

Actually, my SC truck and buggy run very cool with no esc timing. There is always room to overgear and over time the can but if you are realistic you can run no ESC timing and run great with very low temps. I used the same truck to race an entire series of Sportsman Stock, Expert Stock, and Mod. On race days I ran the truck back to back to back and never quite hit 150. Sportsman Stock requires a 17.5 and no timing. Expert stock is 17.5 w/timing or 13.5 w/no timing. Mod is whatever. I finished the points 1st in Sportsman, 3rd in Mod, and 5th in expert. Not bad for a dog slow stock truck that barely hits 130 degrees after a single run and 150 after 15 minutes of running. I used a Tekin RS and a Express prepped Duo 2 motor w/10 degrees on the can.

Also, I've finally come around and will not use anything other than a Tekin. Their service won me over....it took a couple of years. Hobbywing/Speed Passion my be less expensive but I've never had a live conversation, much less warranty work done, with a live person from any company other than Tekin. Novak's ok but not in the same league.....anyway, Team Tekin really takes care of their customers.
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote