Search

Getting into On-Road question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default Getting into On-Road question

Hello Guys,

I have been into RCs for a while. I was into drifting long time ago, raced Mini-Z and lately got into 1/10 Off-Road. I have not raced yet off-roads but I go to the local track to practice maybe once a month for fun. Now I will like to give it a shot at On-Road TCs since they open a local track. My question is I have a stock Tamiya IFS that I had in my closet from when I used to drift. Should I sell it and get me a Sakura S or keep the TA-05. I know I can sell it for around $115 which will be enought to get me the Sakura. Well Thanks in advance guys
Old 10-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lnc0321
Hello Guys,

I have been into RCs for a while. I was into drifting long time ago, raced Mini-Z and lately got into 1/10 Off-Road. I have not raced yet off-roads but I go to the local track to practice maybe once a month for fun. Now I will like to give it a shot at On-Road TCs since they open a local track. My question is I have a stock Tamiya IFS that I had in my closet from when I used to drift. Should I sell it and get me a Sakura S or keep the TA-05. I know I can sell it for around $115 which will be enought to get me the Sakura. Well Thanks in advance guys
I would sell it check this out http://www.competitionx.com/how-to-a...ing-car-build/
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yourstruly22
Yea I read that one and is one of the reasons I was thinking of selling my ta05 to get it.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

why not just run your ta05? you have it in hand now, so just drop some electronics on it, the right tires and body and go race it.
Sakura is a great car for the money though. dont waste your money on the upgrades though. get some tuning aids sure, but dont fall into the trap of dropping $200 into a $100 car.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by valk
why not just run your ta05? you have it in hand now, so just drop some electronics on it, the right tires and body and go race it.
Sakura is a great car for the money though. dont waste your money on the upgrades though. get some tuning aids sure, but dont fall into the trap of dropping $200 into a $100 car.
So you think that my TA-05 is on the same level of the Sakura?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

I couldn't really tell you what level anything is on. id just try the car on a track before you get in a hurry to sell it. it might surprise you is all.
but im a fan of oddball cars. I run an e4rs against traditional high end cars and do quite well.
seems like that tamiya has all the adjustability you would need.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by valk
I couldn't really tell you what level anything is on. id just try the car on a track before you get in a hurry to sell it. it might surprise you is all.
but im a fan of oddball cars. I run an e4rs against traditional high end cars and do quite well.
seems like that tamiya has all the adjustability you would need.
Thanks man!! I will give my old TA-05 a try
Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This car is fast and can give other high end tc's a hard time if it is setup right. Only if your level is high and you chase the last 2-3 thenth, then you're better off with a pro chassis.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wtcc
This car is fast and can give other high end tc's a hard time if it is setup right. Only if your level is high and you chase the last 2-3 thenth, then you're better off with a pro chassis.
Which one? The TA-05 or the Saukura?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Given the choice between a TA05 at home, and a Sakura to buy, I would take the TA05 every time.

Given the choice between buying both, I would take the TA05 every time.

Tamiya quality is far superior to 3Racing. The TA05 is no slouch.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
Given the choice between a TA05 at home, and a Sakura to buy, I would take the TA05 every time.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge

Given the choice, I would go the other way. Tamiya TRF quality is top notch, which the TA05 is not. Not saying it is bad by any means, but I ran a Sakura for a while and came away with a single broken rear arm and many podium finishes.

That being said, for the OP being new to onroad, I agree, run what you have. See if you enjoy if first. If you do, then you can think about upgrading. Also, consider what spare parts you can get locally. That imho is more important then brand since new drivers break things. That is the nature of the hobby.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Ahh! I stand corrected then, Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 AM
gom
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say to run the TA05 first and see if you like on-road racing. If you really like it, you can either get a sakura like everyone says or look into the used car market. You can find a lot of top quality chassis for an affordable price.

Also, before you buy the speed passion cirtix esc and motor combo, you'll need to decide which class to run in. some runs 21.5, other runs 17.5, etc. you don't want to get the wrong one.

In the competition x article, the writer suggested a 3000mAH battery. However, the reality is that the capacity is too low for stock 17.5, which I believe you'll probably end up racing that class. You need at least a 5000mAH+ battery for that. So again, like I said, you need to decide which class you'll be running first because your equipment depends on it.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

honestly, if you already have a car that will get you into onroad, you would be totalyl wasting your money to buy the sakura. drive the ta05 until you can get around without touching the boards and be sorta fast, then if anything, id invest in one of the higher end kits, such as a tc6.1. ae has them for $250 right now which is a steal for a competition touring car.

doesnt make sense to go from one older car to a new one. the Zero S is based on the Zero which is nimh tech after all.