R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-04-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default steering servo?

what would be a good steering servo for a electric foam touring sedan?
SPC Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Javen13 Send a message via Yahoo to Javen13

i use a futaba 9405 and it works well
Javen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
Tech Elite

As usual, most people will recommend what they use... And I'll recommend the KO PDS 2123

Anyway, budget plays a role.

I would look for:

1) Well known, good reputation brand (which dont include Hitec )
2) Ball bearings and metal gears for long lasting and consistent performance.
3) Digital. Very smooth, and good holding power.
4) Speed. Around 0,1 sec/60 deg. is good. Lower is better, but price raises considerably.

If you like to read about digital servos, check this.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Whatever you do, don't use a Hitec, they don't center well... great for MT's though.... No good for TC's....

I just switched my cars to Futaba S9050's and I'm extremely happy with them.... They're digital and a little pricy....
Old 11-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #5

Yeah, just stick with the major brands (Airtronics, Futaba, KO, JR) and stay away from Hitec. Hitec servos are generally a little cheaper than the competition, but as a previous poster said, they don't center well, making them a bad choice for TC racing. I would like to say however that Hitec customer service is top notch. I had two servos I was having trouble with, so I sent them in for them to test, they couldn't find anything wrong with them, apparently, but they sent me the two servos back along with two brand new ones.

The only experience I have had with Hitec servos is with their 925BBMG servos (pre-digital hitec servos) however judging by other people's reports, the centering has not improved.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

What do you guys have against Hitec? They offer superior products at budget prices! I've never had trouble with any of their products, that includes servos.
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: steering servo?

Quote:
Originally posted by SPC Racer
what would be a good steering servo for a electric foam touring sedan?
I use a S9550 in my T1F, not the fastest or most torque but very small and light,
Team Tekin , ESC's, motors,
Elangears, Chargers,
Rod M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Nrctc3

Quote:
What do you guys have against Hitec? They offer superior products at budget prices! I've never had trouble with any of their products, that includes servos.
Everyone specifically posted Centering..... That's what they have against Hitec. And I totally agree with them. Hitec has good prices, and reportedly has great customer service. I've had a couple 925's, One centers very poorly, the other burned out (admittedly, after a couple years of good service). I've also had a 625 that probably had only 2 hours of use (while centering poorly) on it, before it burned up.

budget prices? sure.... Superior? NOT

ALL the other servos I've used from Airtronics and Futaba since then have been better in every way. I've bought an Airtronics 94452, two Futaba 9402's, and a Futaba 9550. They are all more precise than any Hitec I've owned. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. The 94452 and 9402's have been moved all around and abused in mod buggy, mod truck, gas truck, sedan, and nitro sedan. They're still flawless. I haven't had the 9550 long, but I bought it specifically for my Pro4, and couldn't be happier with it. More than strong and fast enough, and it's size make life easier, particularly on a cramped shaft drive car.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:26 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gatrbite

Never mind

Last edited by gatrbite; 11-05-2004 at 09:34 AM.
gatrbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:10 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

i use a hitec hs-5625mg .......altho its the best /fastest/coolest servo ive ever used it funnly enough centres very porely.....i love it but i hate it
pink pac man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:40 AM   #11
Tech Elite

2123 is my favorite, so fast it helps compensate my slow hand
Old 11-05-2004, 09:10 AM   #12
Tech Adept

$30 cheaper..... UH ........ NO

At my LHS the digital 9550 and analog 9402 are both $79. That is $6 more than they sell the 925 for, and $10 CHEAPER than the 5925.

Yes it is true that Airtronics, Futaba, JR, and KO all make $130 servos, but you don't need them unless you're running 1/8 scale.

Since I already have roughly $250 worth of Hitec servos sitting on my bench doing nothing, I didn't feel it was wise to keep buying products from a company, hoping that the next one is the one that doesn't fail.

To be honest, if you look at the torque and speed specs that Hitec has for their servos, and compare them to other brands, Hitec has them beat dollar for dollar. Looking at numbers on a box, Hitec is great. But when they don't center worth a damn, you don't sit there and tell yourself how much of a value they are. Precision is the #1 priority in servos (especially in carpet racing). And that's the one spec they can't put on a box.

At one time I defended Hitec too, then I tried other brands..... OOPS, Lesson learned.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:33 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Nrctc3
I just bought a 225MG. The servo actually centers perfectly *but* in one direction it comes back to almost center, hesitates and then centers. It only hesitates for (at a guess) about .2 of a second but in 12th scale..... I'll still mount it and give it a shot, if it stinks I'll drop the money on a decient airtronics.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:54 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Nobody have mentioned the Futaba 9451, I like this and also the KO 2143

Tor Erik is offline   Reply With Quote