R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
DDS
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Mixed Class racing

with the advent of 2.4ghz technology, have any clubs tried to have dedicated mixed class racing? I don't mean shoving two VTA cars into a USGT class because there weren't enough cars, but I'm talking a type of racing format where say 15-20 cars make up the a-main and those are divided up between the top cars of two classes. Kinda like ALMS racing where the leaders are constantly in traffic. I could easily see the USGT class used in this with a faster prototype class.
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS View Post
with the advent of 2.4ghz technology, have any clubs tried to have dedicated mixed class racing? I don't mean shoving two VTA cars into a USGT class because there weren't enough cars, but I'm talking a type of racing format where say 15-20 cars make up the a-main and those are divided up between the top cars of two classes. Kinda like ALMS racing where the leaders are constantly in traffic. I could easily see the USGT class used in this with a faster prototype class.
Thought about it just haven't done it. We race VTA and GT. I was thinking of mixing the GT with M chassis cars. VW, Porsche, BMW type stuff running with Camaro's, Mustang's, Saleen S7's etc. Very ALMS like. The problem would be in setting up the timing system to sort the 2 classes. Haven't figured a good way to do that yet.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Tech Master

The other things is, although it sounds COOL, the drviers generally aren't up to it. We have been running a race with Pro10, 13.5 touring, and mod touring, due to small numbers. I run Pro10 and get smoked on parts of the track, but I generally have a lot more corner speed, so you get situations where I get out-braked at the end of a straight, I carry more wheel speed through a corner so pile into the TC, then they can rip the trigger out of the straight.
Different car + differnt racing lines + different corner speed = CHAOS!

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We do it all the time. We run ALMS GT cars with a fixed gearing (usually TT01) with LMP cars (the F103GT). We run fastest lap qualifers and one hour races with a rolling start. Awesome.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Haven`t mixed classes so much,but have ran a large field of 13 cars before. Its all fun untill some one crashes and there inst any way for the marshal to get there or get back off the track even if he can flip it over.
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been thinking about running mixed classes at my club as well. It's a new club so I'm trying to cater to the beginner racers AND very experienced racers that are starting to come to races. Currently I have grouped VTA & GT2 (both 21.5 blinky) and B-Main TC will be running with them as well. If TC entries keep increasing than maybe I'll run VTA/GT2/Mini Mod especially if/when 1/12th starts growing and time constraints increase.

I do like the idea of class mixing but their is always a compromise especially with people running multiple classes. Mixed Novice though, that is a good idea. When their driving skill & lap times get close to the regular class than bump them up.

RC Scoring Pro allows you to combine classes
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just before we tore down the track last meet, we had a fun race with everyone spread out around the track marshalling the track section in front of them. Was a lot of fun and a great way to wrap up the night. Going to make this our custom at the club.
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
DDS
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
We do it all the time. We run ALMS GT cars with a fixed gearing (usually TT01) with LMP cars (the F103GT). We run fastest lap qualifers and one hour races with a rolling start. Awesome.
That sounds EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It's very feasible. Especially on a big track that we run on at Leisure Hours Raceway. Is the spirit courage the only LMP body available for the f103gt?
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
That sounds EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It's very feasible. Especially on a big track that we run on at Leisure Hours Raceway. Is the spirit courage the only LMP body available for the f103gt?
Yes!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:

gramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Toyota GT one
Nice

who makes this body?
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus2000 View Post
Toyota GT one
Nice

who makes this body?
Chevron
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Tech Adept

thanks for the tip.

I wonder what are the best options for starting some mixed class racing.
At our club we run 1/10 RCGT brushed but we plan to outfit these with the cheap hobbywing 13.5 motor combos (those motors are a 380 core basically) so its not as fast as a 13.5 540 core... but vey cheap. That will be our GT2 class.
For GT1 we'd like to have something faster running the prototype bodies, pancar 200mm or 235mm, tamiya f103 or even 1/10 touring with cantilever suspension (like tamiya IFS system)... what would you run here?, does not have to be stupid fast just faster than the RCGTs.
the RC10r5 looks sweet but i hear it's on the way out
the one with most prototype bodies would be at the top of my list...
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote