Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GT7 capacitors

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default Novak GT7 capacitors

Can I add another 1000uF capacitor on the GT7? I've seen it done, will this help w/ braking and acceleration?

thanks
chad
Old 11-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Hello,

The "ESR" of the cap is the most important factor and it is not rated on the cap itself. It is usually indicated by the manufacture in the "series" of caps. If you don't use the correct cap, it won't do any work and end up damaging the ESC. Just use two of the regular caps in parallel. Thats what most of the team does when they are looking for that little extra punch. Using the 6th profile is good for 19 turn and stock motors as well.

A bigger cap will help with acceleration, not so much the braking. A bigger schottky will help with braking.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 11-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

thanks charlie,

So if I wire the cap I bought from radio shack in parallel w/ the stock one, i can increase punch, or will I damage the esc.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Don't put anything you buy at Radio Shack on your ESC. Adding that cap to the one that is on there won't do anything as the cap is very low quality. NEVER EVER use radio shack capacitors on your ESC. NEVER.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for the heads up
Old 11-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Tech Addict

I do not agree with you Charlie. I myself have numerous times used caps from the local electronic store and the only ESC I've ever damaged was damaged by racing in the rain.

Chad. Do a search here on RC-Tech. There have been at least 5 threads about Capacitors here on RC-Tech this year. I'd say you can safely use your Radio Shack capacitor on your ESC. And yes it's parallel. However 1000 uf is not much.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:24 AM
Tech Champion

Charlie is right.... radio shack sell cheap things.... sorry, you get what you paid for. The best brand capacitors are Rubycon, Sanyo, Nichicon. The best type is low ESR caps, you could find them in computer motherboard usually near CPU area. Old motherboard such as Pentium 2 and 3 is the best place to look. You could find 16V 3300uF, 10V 2200uF, and so on.

BTW adding more capacitor to GT7 is not going to make you any faster. The added weight will overcome the benefit. And honestly more capacitor doesn't mean more speed. Perhaps more headache to place the second cap. I rather add bigger amp of schottky diode to absorb excess current and noise from motor as charlie suggested.

If you really want the best capacitor, this is the ultimate capacitor you could buy: see the attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
t520.pdf (125.4 KB, 323 views)
Old 11-03-2004, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

How can someone not agree with Charlie? I have 2 mounted on my TC3. I put it there because it needed weight on that side of the car anyhow I figured I might as well make it useful. So I added a second cap and a cooling fan.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Angry

Wish I could run my GT7 but my car glitches so bad I have to use everything but it ...nice paperweight though
Old 11-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

That sux the 3 I have work flawlessly.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

You might find decent performance Caps at a good electronics store, but Not Radio Shack. Just find the lowest ESR, with at least 10 volts and 4700 uF. I've done blind test with drivers, they usually report the Dual Caps have more "punch" or feel a bit more responsive from partial throttle.

But Opions are like feet, we all have them. Some are right, some are left.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 11-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

charlie...

Using the 6th profile is good for 19 turn and stock motors as well
In the GT7 instructions it says the 6th program is recommended for 4-cell and #3 and 4 for stock/aggress. stock. Have you been finding alot of people running program #6 for stock racing....with positive results?

The drive and brake frequency seem to be alot lower in #6....does the difference in drive freq. result in the feeling of being more aggresive?
Old 11-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

the lower the drive frequency the more rip, but also its less efficient and harder on the comm.
Mo