R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2004, 10:53 AM   #46
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have two fantom dynos....and I never use them. It's too easy to trick the dyno into thinking the motor is really putting out good power. I have told Troy, who owns Fantom with his brother my dislike of the dyno....the 5 volt setting limit is also crappy, as its not uncommon to have a motor perform good at 5 volts, but horrible at 7...

The Robi is a great unit.....lots of people use them. They can be set at 7.5 volts, to get accurate readings on all motors. The software is top notch and gives you tons of info.

The downside, is the price....I bought my first unit used. It was in rough shape from bad care, but it still works well. It's an older unit with the 12t limit....when my new unit arrives, I plan to send it off for an upgrade....

If you have a store, its VERY easy to get the money recouped with a dyno....as you can charge racers a few bucks to spin it up and give them a print out. The Robi hands down prints the most data in easy to read format. CE is just a little piece of paper....Fantom not much to jump up and down about, but it does have cool software, though the guy who writes the software is a fruit cake (he thinks testing a motor at 7 volts will damage it....)

And yes.....a CE unit can be upgraded to a 45 for about $100....but like I said, the odds of another unit selling for over 1k is HORRIBLE.....especially a 30 amp version. What is going to happen now is the market on ebay will become flooded and the price will drop like a rock....just watch. A new one has already popped up with $1100 buy it now....and its still there....

And if you think CE will have a new dyno soon, you are mistaken. When I sent my TD45 in for repair, I talked to Jim Bailey for about 20 minutes about the new dyno....he said, its on the list of things to do, but 2 years out.....its simply not a priority.

And he won't extend the wires to the pod last I checked. He told me it effects the readings and they needed to stay that stupid short length....

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #47
Tech Elite

You cannot use a power supply....unless it provided like 150 amps....

You can use a 6 volt motorcycle battery though.....

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2004, 11:11 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO

And yes.....a CE unit can be upgraded to a 45 for about $100....but like I said, the odds of another unit selling for over 1k is HORRIBLE.....especially a 30 amp version. What is going to happen now is the market on ebay will become flooded and the price will drop like a rock....just watch. A new one has already popped up with $1100 buy it now....and its still there....

And if you think CE will have a new dyno soon, you are mistaken. When I sent my TD45 in for repair, I talked to Jim Bailey for about 20 minutes about the new dyno....he said, its on the list of things to do, but 2 years out.....its simply not a priority.

And he won't extend the wires to the pod last I checked. He told me it effects the readings and they needed to stay that stupid short length....

Later EddieO
eddie i know your a smart person and i respect your opinion but your reply seems like i was making assumptions that i was not

i said that if a person wanted it bad enough it would go for that and i doubt the market would flood that much heck most are like me and would not give it up for nothing

i said the only reason i would sell my td45 would be if ce made a new one not that i was see one in the books

ce told me that thay would increase the length of that stupid length (i agree) but maybe i was told by a idiot

back on the subject

reguardles in my opinion of what dyno you have if you are able to read the data correctly you can make adjustments for the better

i still say nothing compairs to the track and wheel time

wvracer
WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:21 AM   #49
Tech Elite

We have seen this flooding before though.....about a 6 months ago, one hit $800....and then about 7 or so hit ebay over the next couple of months.....in the end, it saw most ending for about $500 or so.....with a BRAND NEW IN THE BOX one selling for just over $600!!

I've sold a lot of stuff on ebay where I had doubles....the phenonmen is weird, but its true....there only so many guys willing to overpay....and then the price just drops.

And you are right....you can tune with just about everything. Its all about interpeting the results and being able to know what changes produce the results you are looking for....just some dynos make it WAY easier than others....

And the track is the best dyno.....with a stop watch being #2.

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2004, 02:38 PM   #50
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

True, & btw Eddie, I noticed you mention wanting those wires to be longer, but I can corroborate what they told you about altering them, I've heard from a number of guys who either shortened test leads, or replaced them with longer ones, & each & every time it DID affect the test results one way or another(though this is mostly referring to guys using the Robi, but I suspect it's also applicable to most ALL dynos). I really wonder if there's a way tomeasure thetotal resistance of the whole works & possibly usethe wire lengths to fine-tune a number of dynos to read much more closely to each other(though I only have my Robi, so I don't have any way of testing the idea)...oh, & I also agree about testing voltage, that's one of the reasons I chose the Robi, because it can be set to test a motor at ANY voltage I'm likely to use in a car(including 4 cell racing)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:56 PM   #51
Tech Apprentice

i sent an email to the guy who is selling the CE turbo dyno on ebay. the reserve price is $850.
i want a good dyno and it sounds like the fantom will not cut it, but i would like to hear some of the other side of the story. fantom does put out some of the fastest motors out they have to be doing something right.
EddieO, thanks for all of the good info. the robi sounds nice if i can swing the price. or get my hands on one.
jlrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:02 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Yeah....its called using a dyno you cannot buy.....Troy's dyno operates at 7 volts with special fets....its been modified for his personal use....Troy is a good motor guy though, he probably rarely uses the dyno anyways....I know he didn't have it out at the track at Paved Nationals....he just built them and ran them.

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2004, 04:15 PM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HVFracingwilly

I think we all should take a step back and realize that a dyno is just a way of comparing motor to motor. The bigest problem with any dyno is that they do not simulate real world conditions. I personaly use a fantom dyno with great results. At 5 volts motors spin at 23,000 rpm, and without the proper means of assembling an armature a motor canot stand much more rpm. Hence why mod motors are kevlar wrapped and epoxy dipped etc. Just puting in my two cents. take it for what its worth.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Well, I beg to differ.....a dyno is a valuable tool in evaluting a motor on its own and being able to see the results of changes you make in springs, brushes, timing, etc....

And nobody kevlar wraps anything.....its just thread. Kevlar doesn't soak up the epoxy we use....

And none of the motors I saw Oscar Jansen building this weekend for cleveland had any wrapping on them.

I do on my motors, but only when I think its needed.

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2004, 06:20 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

Is the Integy INDI motor dyno accurate?? I have one and it just seems werid sometimes.

Jon
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:14 PM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HVFracingwilly

I stand corrtected. I also do you the dyno to evaluate a motors perfomance, but personaly I never use the dyno to decide what motor im going to run in the A main without taking it out on the track first. I've had instances where a motor performes awsome on the dyno and hangs a brush 30 seconds in(food for thaught). I stand behind my statement 100 % and like i said its my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:55 PM   #57
Tech Adept

How is CE turbodyno different from Team orion or any brand digital motor checker?
raceblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:57 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Unlike the "motor checkers" out there, the turbo dyno puts a load on the motor. It will also give you mroe data such as torque, power (in watts) and efficiency. Thats why it can be much more valuable compared to a rpm and amp draw sensor liek motor checkers are.

-Korey
Old 12-06-2004, 05:00 PM   #59
Tech Adept

I am surprised that motor checker does not even put load on motor. What kind of useful information does the checker provide?
raceblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:25 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Probably just rpm and amp draw.....its not really a dyno....its just a motor checker....

Later EddieO