R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   rp-30 Tire info? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/540931-rp-30-tire-info.html)

tcb22185 08-11-2011 11:14 AM

rp-30 Tire info?

Any one know where i can find some info for this tire? Looking for Heat Spec's

Thanks

locked 08-11-2011 11:38 AM

Usually the number in a set of rubber tires is the temperature rating in Celsius. So Take off RP 30 tires are probably best for track temps around 30C, so that would be a cooler summer day outdoors or probably okay for indoors.

Outdoors, if the air temp is 30C, the track temp is probably closer to 45C.

If you want to convert to Fahrenheit to get an idea of what those temps are in the medieval system you guys use, just google "Celsius to Farenheit"

tcb22185 08-11-2011 11:54 AM

Thanks! 86 deg is what the converter said.. LOL thats like a Good Winter Month here.. looks like i better run sorax 36's then

locked 08-11-2011 12:01 PM

Lol, yeah down in Fla I don't imagine you get too many days where 30s would be ideal. RP40 maybe :D

Sorex 36s work very well from around 30C to 50C track temps from my experience with them. I've never raced where the track temped hotter than 50 though, so I can't tell you if they still work well beyond that.

HarryLeach 08-11-2011 06:28 PM

I've run RP30's on everything from a track temp of 55F to 140F, and they hook up regardless. In cold temps, they can take a few laps to come in, and in real hot temps, they can get a bit inconsistent toward the very end of a run.

In hotter temps, tire wear will be a bit faster. Since they hook up so well in a broad range of temps, a good way to tell if the track temp is too high for long tire life is to inspect the inside of the shell after a run for tire powder. If you see more than a dusting, you probably want to go to a harder tire.

Smoother tracks and cooler track temps will obviously have less tire wear. I have 3 sets mounted in my tire kit in various stages of wear, and one set unmounted in my spares. When no other tire seems to be getting the job done, they're always trusty to get at least one good qualifier in the bank. :)

They also hook up quite well on carpet, with REAL long tire life. I've run Sorex, Sweep, MuchMore, HPI, and Jaco tires, and for some reason, my RP's are still my favorite, I wish a US distributor would start carrying them again instead of having to make a once a year order out of HK.

For a good performing tire that's cheaper than Sorex or RP's, the Sweep EXP's are also quite good.

HTH. :)

Marcos.J 08-11-2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by locked (Post 9512503)
Lol, yeah down in Fla I don't imagine you get too many days where 30s would be ideal. RP40 maybe :D

Sorex 36s work very well from around 30C to 50C track temps from my experience with them. I've never raced where the track temped hotter than 50 though, so I can't tell you if they still work well beyond that.

RP 30's are a ideal tire in florida, it was always the fastest,

Damnit Man 08-11-2011 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Marcos.J (Post 9514147)

30's would be good in the winter and maybe cooler conditions in the spring and fall, but I would be willing to bet that 36's and 40's would be better the rest of the year. I ran EXP40 tires this weekend at Kraceway and they were awesome and showed low wear. Track temps ranged from 124F to about 135F I think with a 30 they would over heat too quickly, loose grip, and start to wear, even in 17.5 class when boosted.

Geberit 08-11-2011 11:01 PM

The Tire wear and overheating is not only the tyre compoud thing but also driving style issue!

For instance me and my collegues are driving the TC6 and Sorex 32 tyres. I never overheat my tyres the lap times are constant and the wear is in the limits. But my collegues have problems with loss of traction at the end of their runs (overheating) their tyres don't last as long as mine.

I hava a more fluent and soft driving style and my lap times are faster!

You should also think of the hardness of the inserts and air gap …

G

tcb22185 08-12-2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Marcos.J (Post 9514147)

Originally Posted by Damnit Man (Post 9514343)
30's would be good in the winter and maybe cooler conditions in the spring and fall, but I would be willing to bet that 36's and 40's would be better the rest of the year. I ran EXP40 tires this weekend at Kraceway and they were awesome and showed low wear. Track temps ranged from 124F to about 135F I think with a 30 they would over heat too quickly, loose grip, and start to wear, even in 17.5 class when boosted.

Thanks Guys for the Info! I guess i will try them in practice and then Try The Sorex 36's also. See What ones i like. The thing is that we start racing at 6:00 Sun is still out but end in the nights so maybe a one heat on 36's and the 2nd heat and the main on the 30's i never really checked track temp before. So i will. and Post some results after tomorrow night!

abailey21 08-12-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by tcb22185 (Post 9516426)
Thanks Guys for the Info! I guess i will try them in practice and then Try The Sorex 36's also. See What ones i like. The thing is that we start racing at 6:00 Sun is still out but end in the nights so maybe a one heat on 36's and the 2nd heat and the main on the 30's i never really checked track temp before. So i will. and Post some results after tomorrow night!

Where did you find them?

tcb22185 08-12-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by abailey21 (Post 9517966)
Where did you find them?

Got them off here Brand new! Are they that good? LOL Must be if Adam is asking where i found them.. LOL

HarryLeach 08-12-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by tcb22185 (Post 9517992)
Are they that good?

No, those tires are horrible, you should send them to me right away to save yourself the frustration :sneaky:

abailey21 08-12-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by tcb22185 (Post 9517992)
Got them off here Brand new! Are they that good? LOL Must be if Adam is asking where i found them.. LOL

No, it's the fact I was the last US distributor of them and I hadn't heard of anyone in the US picking them up

HarryLeach 08-12-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by abailey21 (Post 9518173)
No, it's the fact I was the last US distributor of them and I hadn't heard of anyone in the US picking them up

Which is a BIG problem! I love these tires, was fortunate enough to buy out some old stock at my LHS a few years ago, and really don't enjoy the shipping from HK that forces me to stock up on tires once a year.

A-Main has Sorex's now, where's the RP loving?

ZiG-87 08-12-2011 06:34 PM

I've always thought its kinda funny how people feel that it is reasonable to assume the track temperature is the same as the outside air temperature.