R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default TC5X or TC6?

Ok so I am in a bind as whether to upgrade my old TC5 to an Exotek TC5X or just bite the bullet and get a TC6. I bought the TC5 in 2009 and haven't used it a whole lot because I joined the military soon afterwards so I have some reservations about replacing it with a brand new car. I've been doing some research on the TC5 thread and it seems a lot of people have had tweak and balance issues with the stock chassis. The Exotek chassis and the TC6 seem to solve these issues. So can anyone with some experience with these two cars give some insight? Does the TC5X chassis work well or is it worth it to spend the cash and get a TC6? I appreciate any repsonses!
Slokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Having owned and raced all of the above in VTA, RCGT, and 17.5 Blinky Touring Car indoors on carpet and outdoors on asphalt, if you're dead set on an AE product: TC5<Exoteck TC5<TC6.

Bottom line, anything TC5 is at a disadvantage to the TC6.

Some would tell you that it's less of an issue the slower you go, a la VTA, but VTA (and 17.5 Blinky TC) is a game of corner speed and clean lines. Out of the box, with stock set up, the TC6 can run a tighter line and carry more corner speed than a fully worked up and tuned TC5, regardless of chassis or "hard" vs. "soft" suspension parts.

If it were me, I'd hone my skill set getting back into it, hang out at the track and see all the other chassis available, and get a new car as the fall/winter season starts. You can reuse all of the important parts: servo, ESC, motor, transponder no matter what you buy.

If you decide on a 6, it shares all the important consumables with the 5.

Edit to add: Thanks for your service. I'm currently working on my 23rd year in the Navy.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox

Last edited by Buckaroo; 08-08-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Having owned and raced all of the above in VTA, RCGT, and 17.5 Blinky Touring Car indoors on carpet and outdoors on asphalt, if you're dead set on an AE product: TC5<Exoteck TC5<TC6.

Bottom line, anything TC5 is at a disadvantage to the TC6.

Some would tell you that it's less of an issue the slower you go, a la VTA, but VTA (and 17.5 Blinky TC) is a game of corner speed and clean lines. Out of the box, with stock set up, the TC6 can run a tighter line and carry more corner speed than a fully worked up and tuned TC5, regardless of chassis or "hard" vs. "soft" suspension parts.

If it were me, I'd hone my skill set getting back into it, hang out at the track and see all the other chassis available, and get a new car as the fall/winter season starts. You can reuse all of the important parts: servo, ESC, motor, transponder no matter what you buy.

If you decide on a 6, it shares all the important consumables with the 5.

Edit to add: Thanks for your service. I'm currently working on my 23rd year in the Navy.
Thanks for your input. I was planning on trying my luck with getting the TC5 set up but I don't even have the hard suspension parts. As far as touring cars go its old, its the originial TC5 before the R or F models came out. What Im not sure of is what makes the TC6 "optimized for LiPo"? I would still have to add weight on the battery side whether Im driving a TC5 or a TC6, correct?

BTW I am stationed north of you in Alexandria. I was just down in Portsmouth at the Coast Guard base for training a couple days ago. Do you race at Debbie's?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

more central weight. I dont drive a TC6 but biggest change I see is the motor moved in 13mm.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I was thinking the same, get an exotek and have my TC5 as a spare car for wet or in case I break something I could not repair, but in the end, I am selling it, liked it a lot...

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Does anyone know how much weight (if any) on average is needed to balance the battery side on the TC5X chassis?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With a 265gr. Lipo I needed at least 80-100gr.

I would recommend to buy a TC6. It it much easier to drive. In addition it has a wider setup window.
Use the TC5 for the wet where you need weight on the outside...
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

this thread helped me out a bit too. I run a TC5R in 17.5 stock. car goes about as fast as it can without running 180+. handles ok but the chassis is visibly tweaked. i had to add 80gr on my lipo holder to get it balanced. so my car probably weighs 1500+ grams.
was deciding if i should get a exotek for it too but with all the option parts its like $130? might as well upgrade to tc6.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slokomo View Post
Ok so I am in a bind as whether to upgrade my old TC5 to an Exotek TC5X or just bite the bullet and get a TC6. I bought the TC5 in 2009 and haven't used it a whole lot because I joined the military soon afterwards so I have some reservations about replacing it with a brand new car. I've been doing some research on the TC5 thread and it seems a lot of people have had tweak and balance issues with the stock chassis. The Exotek chassis and the TC6 seem to solve these issues. So can anyone with some experience with these two cars give some insight? Does the TC5X chassis work well or is it worth it to spend the cash and get a TC6? I appreciate any repsonses!
About two seasons ago, I had a TC5, and then after a bit, upgraded it with an Exotek chassis. The Exotek chassis made an improvement over the stock TC5 chassis, but IMO, if you want to be competetive, you'll have to go with the TC6. The TC6 has much improved geometry over that of the TC5 and Exotek, and it competes with Xrays and Tamiyas. It all depends on how competitive you want to be and how ready you are to sink some money into this hobby.
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote