Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on the 2004 Worlds and Media Exclusivity

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Gary,

Both Penalties were assesed.If you jumped the line at the start you got a 10second penalty, if you got a rough driving penalty, then you got a stop and go.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:53 AM
R/C Tech Founder

jeffrey: Sounds like something you'd hear from a mob boss, huh? haha
Old 10-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
I am sad to say that I had just renewed my subscription to RC Driver.
Ironically, I just got my renewal notice the other day. I'll be tossing it into the trash.

Rob
Old 10-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by ammdrew
also it sounds like the software issue had missed laps, that most likly is a issue with amb/loop/transponder issue.
I too guess most likely amb/loop/transponder issue, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Derek, nobody has the digital final results (with lap times). However, anyone could have walked up to where the results were posted, and taken a photo of the posted results (with lap times). These were handed out to each country after every run, plus extra copies that were made.

It's my understanding that the digital files will be made available after Jarrod makes the corrections.

It was the same situation in Cincinnati, and in Brazil. The digital files weren't released until they were corrected. Most of the time, they're good, right out of the computer, but some of them had lots of manual corrections/additions/changes that needed to be done. (From the point of view of someone just wanting to get the digital results, this is a real pain, but that's the way it is. IFMAR doesn't want anything released until/unless it is correct.)

Regarding air conditioned trailers, just as in Cincinnati or Brazil, anyone can rent a trailer with a/c, and have a nice comfy home to work in. As far as I know, the track doesn't provide these, other than to the scoring people and the IFMAR trailer for meetings, etc.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

I had results fairly quick in Sweden....
Old 10-31-2004, 11:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by futureal
I should also state, again, that the purpose of this thread was not to rip on RC Driver or anybody else (aside from perhaps IFMAR) but rather to point out *how* and *why* an exclusivity deal is a poor thing for this hobby
I don't see how one is more culpable than the other. You can't look at this from any angle and agree that this was a good agreement for anyone. Shane, if what you said is correct, then there's no excuse for concealing all or part of the results. I have a very strong opinion about people using their money or influence to persuade a decision that would have otherwise never been made on its merits. This has the appearance of just such a decision, in which case I would say "bad call" on the part of anyone that was involved.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Jarrod just emailed me the corrected results. They're in a Microsoft "word" file, and it is now posted on the ROAR website. I'll update that site as soon as I talk to Fred, but in the meantime, the link to get to the results is now posted in the discussion item here, on SGRID, and in the Car Action forum.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

exclusivity does happen .... nothing against any magazine but lets be honest here... they all do it. I have personal experience with two of them and although I don't agree - its not ROAR's place to mandate business strategies of anybody.

XRC, RC Car, Car Action and RC Driver must work this out on their own for future events. No sanctioning body should ever be involved in this process with the exception of making an event appeasing enough to warrant the coverage to grow the sport.

Personal opinion but I guarantee - I'm gonna ask a lot of questions about this one.

(this being posted after only reading 1/2 of this thread - please forgive if I sound redundant.)
Old 10-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

When has 'exclusivity' happened with any previous races? Especially Worlds race? Hasn't it usually been we get coverage when some magazine sends someone out to cover the race, verses no magazine sending a reporter out to cover it?

Can you give some examples? And one magazine showing up to cover X race, and no one else showing up to cover it doesn't make 'exclusive' coverage.

ROAR, like it or not is the governing body. This was IFMAR race, our representative for IFMAR is ROAR. If IFMAR made this bonehead decision on coverage, shouldn't ROAR have said something? Isn't one of ROAR's goal is to make this hobby grow? If you saw something that was obviously against 'growth' wouldn't you say something?

I get a feeling this issue will just end up being 'passing the buck' for responsibility till some poor sap is stuck with it at end.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Excuse me, but why are you all assuming that this "exclusive" agreement exists?

The facts are that no results were available to anyone yesterday in digital format.

Jarrod took everything home with him.

Jarrod got the results updated today, and just sent out an email to the people he knew of, that were waiting for them.

The results are now posted on the ROAR website.

The link to the results are now posted on the three BBS systems that I usually look at, and anyone can copy them anywhere else.

I really think that the "exclusive" part of this discussion is a big mis-understanding.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Did Tamiya just win again? Once with the Evo 3 and now with the 415? Way to go Tamiya Team Boyz!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 01:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by mikemyers
Excuse me, but why are you all assuming that this "exclusive" agreement exists?
I really think that the "exclusive" part of this discussion is a big mis-understanding.
I'm personally going on the following quote that RC Tech guys were told they couldn't have the results. Unless that statement is false, the race organizers were in some way compelled to withhold information. I understand that technical glitches may have also contributed to the problem, but this may be a separate issue.

Originally posted by futureal
...along with MANY other representatives from various media organizations, were informed that an exclusive agreement was formed with RC Driver magazine, under which no official copies of the results were to be given to anybody other than RC Driver, until RC Driver had waived such rights.

Apparently this deal was forged a couple weeks ago, but very few people heard about it.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Tech Rookie

I also don't think it helps perceptions when the guy in charge of the results is also covering the race for the mag thats at the center of this brewhaha. He may be a stand up guy, but you can't deny that some might see this as having potential for a conflict of interest.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Actually Pozer, he went to the event to cover it for a mag, and ended up saving the day, helping out. He was not there to run the computers, just for coverage. He busted his ass running scoring, and getting out on the track to do what he was actually getting paid to do.

I can see your point, but the success of the event really had a lot to do with Jarrod coming through when nobody else stood up to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.