R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default question about lipo charging

I have a Swallow Advance charger and it only can charger upto 5000mh lipo's according to the manual.
I have a battery that is 5600mh will it be ok to charge it or will I need a new charger?
J SiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J SiN View Post
I have a Swallow Advance charger and it only can charger upto 5000mh lipo's according to the manual.
I have a battery that is 5600mh will it be ok to charge it or will I need a new charger?
At 5 amps it will be fine (5000mh) I have the same problem with one of my charger.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J SiN View Post
No, you don't need a new charger.

Chargers are rated at the max charge rate in Amps or mA they can charge at. Think of it like filling a bucket. The bigger hose you use, the faster it will fill. If you wanted to charge a 100,000mAh battery with it you could, it just takes more time.

Remember to always check the battery specification to see what the maximum recommended charge rate is. if you have a low capacity battery, it is possible to do damage to the battery by charging at too high of a charge rate. Kind of like filling a spoon with a fire hose.
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I could be wrong but I don't think this has anything to do with charge rate. I think it has to do with charge TIME. Most chargers will only charge till the battery reaches a full charge, is fully balanced (assuming you were balance charging) OR for only a given amount of time based on maximum mah. In other words...if the battery just won't reach a peak charge or balance, the charger will keep trying for a given amount of time before it simply "times out".
I have to wonder whether a 5600 could reach it's peak rate when the charger is only set up for a max of 5000mah. ??
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Thats what I was thinking.

I will use the charger until I can afford a newer one.

Thanks for the help guys
J SiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
I have to wonder whether a 5600 could reach it's peak rate when the charger is only set up for a max of 5000mah. ??
LiPo packs charge to voltage not amps, hit full volts on anything and it's charged, amps barely have anything to do with it reaching a full charge.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

it will charge fine, unless your discharging your batteries to far you don't use the entire capacity. safe bet is around 80% discharge.
you will probably find you only put 4,000-4,500 mah back in. worst comes to worst if it hits full capacity just restart the charger.
on a side note, just check as some chargers allow you to adjust the capacity up a bit.
Xray T3
AE Sc10.2 AE SCB
ozzy-crawl is offline   Reply With Quote