R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hot Bodies parts on Intergalactic Backorder!

Whats going on with the parts department? Parts are not in stock like in forever.
Realtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtek View Post
Whats going on with the parts department? Parts are not in stock like in forever.
What kind of parts do you need? I have a TCX with a lot of parts I plan on selling.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson View Post
What kind of parts do you need? I have a TCX with a lot of parts I plan on selling.
Thanks but I actually wanted to address HB's problems. Announcing new parts when they don't even have the ones we need is pretty bad. OH SWEET! I have the new 6hole pistons! OH WAIT! I cant run it cuz my arms and C-hubs are broken. The part is still being made on the planet Nebula then they still need to ship it to earth! Good times!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks but I actually wanted to address HB's problems. Announcing new parts when they don't even have the ones we need is pretty bad. OH SWEET! I have the new 6hole pistons! OH WAIT! I cant run it cuz my arms and C-hubs are broken. The part is still being made on the planet Nebula then they still need to ship it to earth! Good times!
Horizon hobby shows those parts in stock.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
+1...been waiting for the DCJ driveshafts for close to 2 months!!
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

I've had HB parts on backorder and up for notification when in stock through HB and other online hobby shops them just show up in stock with no notification yet are still out of stock at HB or whatever random decision on who gets parts and who doesn't. I guess some of my backorder parts have been on the list so long that they just get dropped, hence the lack of notification, but I now have parts that are showing up that were ordered around Christmas. Lucky for me they were just upgrades and my car wasn't down for any length of time.
cwazyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
I guess thats why you got at TC6
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
and the WCE drive shafts.

don't forget the lochness sway bar set for the D8 that's only been witnessed in Europe.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love my TCX but will probably sell soon because i cant be bothered with having to visit 10 sites in one night to find 5 small replacement parts i need. Such bad parts service...
Velocitygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Don't know the particular reason with this specific issue but keep in mind that ordering parts for a manufacturing company is part skill and part dumb luck.

If they make a part order today, they have to know what the demand for that part will be three months from now. So if all of a sudden there is a spike in the demand for that part, it takes three months for the supply to catch up.

What's worse, is that if you order a part on the back end of that swing, the back orders that are waiting before you will be filled first. That means if the demand is 100 units a month but the company had only projected 50, then there are going to be 150 units on back order. That fourth month, when the supply gets bumped to 100, there will still be 150 on back order (the 50 remaining back orders and the 100 new orders that came in that month but couldn't be shipped because of the back order.) That means the manufacturer needs to compensate for the backorders and have to make sure the project enough "extra" units to make up that difference before they lower their order quantity to better match demand.

Again, not saying this is why HPI/Hot Bodies is having difficulties with parts right now but just something to consider. Historically HPI tries not to order more parts than absolutely necessary to cover demand so they order conservatively.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:53 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Hot Bodies parts on Intergalactic Backorder!
Take it up with the Intergalactic Trade Federation.. they are the ones who have been holding up the parts. Maybe its time we write to the Supreme Chancellor maybe he can sort this out.. Its not HPI/HB's fault..

George L could do another movie.. Star Wars VII HB Parts Wars
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I notice the most important things are always on backorder. Don't they just learn to make more? Even back to the TC car it took me forever to get extra POM diff joints, Multi-diff cup joints, DCJ axles, 3-hole pistons, Toe blocks, steel axles, aluminum shock pillows.

most parts carry over to my TCX and I have a nice accumaltion of parts and hop-ups from several years ago. So im good to go
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
I notice the most important things are always on backorder. Don't they just learn to make more?
See above. It's not that simple. Believe me they try and guess which parts are the "Most Important Things" but even then you have to factor in popularity of the kit and how that affects demand and then figure out what those "MIT"s may be.

Some think, "Well, just order more than you need." Problem is the company has to pay for all those parts and it's not good business to have a few thousand dollars tied up in 300 parts that never move off your shelf. Multiply that but the 100 or so parts in a kit and the total number of kits HPI/HB has and you can see this can add up fast. Nevermind the rent on the floor space to store all those parts, the cost of the packaging that you put those parts in, the labor costs incurred with the shipping/receiving/sorting/packaging/shelving of those parts. Keep in mind too that the parts HPI/HB bring in to sell as spare parts are in addition to the parts they order for the kits and it's not like you can say "Well, those parts aren't selling so we'll just ship them back to where they put the kits together and let them use them" because now you're paying for double shipping, throwing away the money that you spent on receiving/sorting/packaging/shelving the parts as well as the packaging materials themselves and you'll incure more labor costs to unshelf, unpack, handling to ship these items back to where the kits are made effectively increasing the pricer per part by a factor of 4 or more.

It seems easy sometimes to us when we can't get the parts we need to get frustrated and start bitching about why a company can't get it right and the frustration is completely understandable. I'm just trying to shed some light on the business side of the process that can lead to these issues. Knowledge and understanding, for me, has always helped ease my frustration with such things.

And you should see the mess when companies DON'T have good parts purchasing practices. For instance, HPI bought an R/C helicopter manufacturer once and all their inventory. Their parts system was a nightmare. Here's an example. Lets say they had four helicopters that all used the EXACT same part and that the parts number structure they used was based on 1000s. (For example, all the parts for Helicopter 1 were like 1001, 1002, 1003, etc. For Heli 2, 2001, 2002, 2003...Heli 3 would be 3000s and Heli 4 would be 4000s). Now lets say they all use the exact same part, a 3x10mm cap head screw.

HPI will number that screw Z700 (All screws use to start with Z) and in every kit HPI uses that part, it has that same part number. This Heli company didn't do that. So that same 3x10mm screw would be 1123 for Heli 1, 2344 for Heli 2, 3211 for Heli 3 and 4500 for Heli 4. If Heli 2 was a popular kit they would run out of part 2344 and the hobby shop would tell the customers they'd have to wait until they ordered more not knowing 1123, 3211, and 4500 would all also work. HPI tried to sort out that mess for about a year and I think finally gave up on it. It was a nightmare.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnos View Post
Take it up with the Intergalactic Trade Federation.. they are the ones who have been holding up the parts. Maybe its time we write to the Supreme Chancellor maybe he can sort this out.. Its not HPI/HB's fault..

George L could do another movie.. Star Wars VII HB Parts Wars
That's a possibility!