R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #46
Tech Elite

I wouldnt charge a high quality lipo more than 2c but there are some cheaper lipos that can only handle only 1c .

Charging at a very high rate creates alot of heat thus reducing the life span of the cells .

Our pro amps packs can charge at 6c but the lifespan will be reduced from 1000cycles to 200 cycles .we explain all this on the test sheet provided with each pack.

orion is a top brand with smart people behind it so im sure they are 100% quality
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #47
Tech Addict

1000 cycles means you could charge and discharge a lipo once a day,every day for 3 years.And if you do this not every day but every second day the battery will last for 6 years.Am i right? Come on guys,there is no such battery that could last so long.Be realistic.

By the way,the 3 4800 i bought a few years ago didn't last more that 20 cycles even with very gently use despite the manufacture statement for 1000 cycles.

Last edited by Born2Run; 08-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
1000 cycles means you could charge and discharge a lipo once a day,every day for 3 years.And if you do this not every day but every second day the battery will last for 6 years.Am i right? Come on guys,there is no such battery that could last so long.Be realistic.

By the way,the 3 4800 i bought a few years ago didn't last more that 20 cycles even with very gently use despite the manufacture statement for 1000 cycles.
you must be cooking them i have a dynamite 5300 25c that i have had for 3 years and it is running as strong as the day i bought it..
tcb22185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #49
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:

I ran the same 2S pack for 750 plus cycles over 3 years and the numbers were within 3% of the day I bought it
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I always buy new lipos every year

maybe a waste of money but i dont treat them well , charging at 20a and i use them a lot so it is ok for me
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #51
Suspended

I still own my first 5000mah maxamps 20c lipos that I purchased in 2008 , and they are puffed up a little bit because I did push them too hard one time running a tc with a 3.5T novak, but they still perform well in the stock and 13.5t classes !
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Quote:

Good quality lipos can achieve 1000 cycles if treated well and a good source charger used .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Quote:

I have two Thunder Power packs that are two years old (40C), used and abused almost every weekend and still are as good as anything out there.

As for only getting 20 cycles from a pack, they were obviously junk to begin with!

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I have two Thunder Power packs that are two years old (40C), used and abused almost every weekend and still are as good as anything out there.

As for only getting 20 cycles from a pack, they were obviously junk to begin with!

Skiddins
Actually those packs i'm talking was the Orion Platinum 4800mAh.Never abused and never discharged to the cutoff point.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #55
Suspended

Just because you treated those 4800's well does not mean they were not junk ! Also you will have some good battery brand go bad too after a few runs; it does not mean all that batteries from that brand are bad !!!!!!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #56
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Just because you treated those 4800's well does not mean they were not junk ! Also you will have some good battery brand go bad too after a few runs; it does not mean all that batteries from that brand are bad !!!!!!!
All three packs? I paid 125.00 US$ for each pack 3 year ago that went bad after 20 cycles.What you want me to say? That the batteries were good because of the known brand name? I cannot say this.I can only say for sure that i treated them very well on running as well on charging.When i buy Cheap Chinese lipos for 25-35 $ i know that maybe there are junk, but i have more expectations when i pay 125.00 $ for a known brand name battery.Thats all.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:00 AM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
but at the end of the day, your racing lines will be more important than your punch or speed on a straight, at your level of racing, I seriously do not think that it matters, it is a bit like "having the biggest but not using it right"

They sale sports car that drives over 300km/h but on a 130km/h speed limit motorways, they are no use, but they are people with money who still buy them.

Anyway, enjoy your racing, be safe and lets get back to our Orion 90C
bench racing lol lets say your racing lines are perfect everytime... wouldnt more punch ans speed be better

I bet those fast super cars will accelarate to that 130km/h speed limit faster than other mid level cars
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #58
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
All three packs? I paid 125.00 US$ for each pack 3 year ago that went bad after 20 cycles.What you want me to say? That the batteries were good because of the known brand name? I cannot say this.I can only say for sure that i treated them very well on running as well on charging.When i buy Cheap Chinese lipos for 25-35 $ i know that maybe there are junk, but i have more expectations when i pay 125.00 $ for a known brand name battery.Thats all.
i heard ya born2run, i had orion 5000 molecular and i always treat it good. same way i treat my speedpower lipos, and my orion recently died under 50 cycles.
i am getting cheap lipos from now on. gens ace is pretty good, i m very happy with their price and performance. next one i m gonna try is turnigy nano tech.
i would not trust orion battery again.
btw my $140 smc cmax didnt even last 10 cycles until it puffed. just like everyone else.
littlealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #59
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlealex View Post
i heard ya born2run, i had orion 5000 molecular and i always treat it good. same way i treat my speedpower lipos, and my orion recently died under 50 cycles.
i am getting cheap lipos from now on. gens ace is pretty good, i m very happy with their price and performance. next one i m gonna try is turnigy nano tech.
i would not trust orion battery again.
btw my $140 smc cmax didnt even last 10 cycles until it puffed. just like everyone else.
SMC's ? I remember when they released them 3 years ago,was the reference battery for all the others.Funny eh?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
bench racing lol lets say your racing lines are perfect everytime... wouldnt more punch ans speed be better

I bet those fast super cars will accelarate to that 130km/h speed limit faster than other mid level cars
Dear Goots, I am sure you are the fastest on the straight in your club, all the other racers must look up to you, lucky them....

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote