R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2004, 10:22 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
Killingtime.....Works for me.....I think I've repeatedly said the Rails were not perfect. Especially for some uses in my opinion. And yes, if considerations are made for opposing traffic, any track can be made better for the driver.

Bodido.....too messy!! Mandatory Air Bags !!....thats the ticket.
Hit another car and you're an instant Marshmellow !!
Ahhhh.......and the flames of a road rail debate settles into mere cinders and ash...at least for the night!

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:44 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Cosby Kids

Quote:
Originally posted by killingtime
not bad....maybe we could get sponsorship from Bill Cosby?
But then those kids would just say the darndest things.

Setting up and managing a portable racing series can be difficult. It has allot of frustrations and fun times as well. The Road Rails System for our club has made it significantly easier. Even with the modifications in adding PVC pipe to the top and putting a couple pieces of duct tape on a corner is way easier than what we have done in the past. We had only a handfull of head on type accidents and that was enough to put another barrier on top of the rails just to prevent it from happening again. The PVC we add to the top is put on by using bolt and wingnut through the existing holes the rails already have. We can just take them off when we pack it up for the day and the rails stack and store like normal. We have a huge track area to maintain, it's 140'x80' and we have had some nice big open layouts and great races on them!! All of our drivers like the system and have said to me and others at the track that they have broken WAY less parts than at a track where Wood/PVC is present. I agree they are not for everyone, but we are very pleased with them.

Thanks for the compliments Evo. I know we have had some write ups on HPI and you may have seen the series website but I was just curious, where have you read about us? It is nice to know someone sees what is going on, Thanks again!!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:56 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Fisher
Who said the job of the track is too simply outline the course. Even if that were the case, with a change of materials, not only can we outline the track, but we can make it more fair for the racers. As you pointed out yourself, this is not real racing. Even on most road style tracks, there is enough room when someone goes off the track they rarely interfere with cars on another part of the track.
The other issue here is; we are not sitting behind the wheel in these cars, things are going to happen when you rely on depth perception to get you around a track from a remote location. Granted mistakes still happen when your behind the wheel in real race cars, I know from expirience, so we can't feel too awful bad when something goes wrong with our little toy cars. It takes some people some time to get used to running radio controlled cars around these tracks big or small. If you stick with it long enough you'll get better and these things won't be an issue for some anymore. The wide open lanes on our tracks have benefitted some of our less expirienced guys and not been bad at all for our expirienced guys. We have been going with the same track for most of the season and begin to tighten it and change it up towards the end of the year. We use a 2x6 border and we have only had 2 cars get out in all 20 of our race days we set up. Whoever is calling the race and our corner marshalls have been good about keeping spectators quite a few feet back from the border during races and no one has been hit from any of the 2 cars "Leaving the Building" as well as our rails being 10-15 feet inside of the borders. Of the vehicles that exited stage left, they were both Stadium Trucks who tumbled far enough to make it out. Anyway, we are happy with the rails and we understand and agree with other points made against them. Have fun racing, whenever and where ever you get to!!
Old 10-31-2004, 11:22 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Just wanted to show you all a couple of pictures pre-road rails.

The 2002 Circuit City Track

Brought the real race car to the track!!

The 2003 Home Depot Track slowly aquiring some road rails.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:02 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ben , it looks like we've made some valid points and I'm glad we held to our convictions but I guess in this game once somebody has had a bad experience or bows to peer pressure, trying to change their minds through education is a tough road.
I came across your program via Ebay !! Some time back there was a father and son selling off a couple of Tamiya cars ( I think) because the series had changed to using a different brand. They filled me in about the series and I looked you up on the web. I still have you in my favorites and I look to groups like yours for ideas on how to make our's more successful. Thanks again.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Post Contact info on PM

Evo,
Ebay.....That's pretty cool, I never expected that. The guy you bought the cars from, his name is Earl Brigham and his two sons race our Kids Division. What is your club name and where do you race at? If you ever need any help with anything you just let me know. I'd be glad to be of any assistance that I can. I'll pm you with some contact information if you ever need it. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:40 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Evo: I too have stuck with my convictions and the continued bad experiences has been the education forming my opinion. Peer pressure has nothing to do with my opinion of road rails. Just because I do not share the same opinion does not mean that mine is a less educated opinion.

Last edited by Scott Fisher; 11-01-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:52 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Did you take the plunge

Scott, Do you purchase any Road Rails?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #69
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default MY turn

Ok I need to shine in on this thread just a little bit

I have been a racer for some YEARS now and have been on every kind of barriered track you can imagine. wood 2x4. wood 1/4" slats, steel pipe, pvc pipe FIRE HOSE (yuk), and road rail.
True on most of the above described above systems will keep you on the right side of the track but all have there down falls like...

wood.. touch one with a wheel nut and it sucks you car into it ripping off a arm or worse.

any type of pipe .. is very unforgiving I have seen losi cars torn in half by hitting this stuff.

1/4" wood slats dont break the cars but going over them into the next lane does

fire hose well lets just leave that one alone (YUK again )

ROAD RAIL yes it will launch your car if you hit it HELLO its a small ramp. but the rail its self will not damage you car

but in all the above materials discribed above It all comes down to driving and there is no winner when it comes down to that.

in conclusion I perfer the road rail system easy to store. easy to set up and for the most part if put together right with the weights to keep it secure it dosent move

just my 1.50 ( that was to much typing for just 2 cents )

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:26 PM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

One thing that we have discovered in the 2 weeks we have been using roadrails is to put 4 pieces of velcro under each dome if you are racing on carpet. This will keep layout from moving. Also, duct tape the seams where the rails meet with the domes. This will prevent cars from getting wedged under the seam.

Overall we are pretty satisfied with the system. One of the problems is on the small track pack they don't include enough domes. Ideally we could have used about 5 more. Also, a couple of our domes are cracked. Is there any warranty on these things?
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #71
Tech Initiate

I agree with Howard on alot of his points.While the roadrail system would not have been my first choice for the track I race at,I will say for ease of use and some other practical reasons,the road rail system is not a bad choice for a non-permaent track.Our parking lot track uses them.We use wood screws to hold them down.It works very well and doesnt move at all.Also the length of the screws dont harm the asphalt.Again,not what I would use as my first choice but it does its job well.The negatives/downside the others here posted are things in which we accept.Our club here has up to 90 racers showing up to club race so I think that says something about whether or not racers will race on a track built of road rails.Although I will say that the manufacturer of this system needs to be constanly reavaluating different ways to make sure the track stays together.The way they suggest plainly SUCKS.We came up with the screw idea ourselves and again it works very well.
nesacuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:16 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

No I did not purchase road rails. I can definitely see that the opinion on the road rail system will have a lot to do with your perspective. If you are the person that has to lay out the system, pick up the stuff or store them, they would be quite convenient. They are light and they stack well. They are quite easy to make changes with if you want to modify the system. If you are only a racer, they leave a lot to be desired without doing any modifications. They launch cars, come apart, move easily and chunck foam easily. Some of those issues can be fixed by the mods many people have outlined. Some cannot. I have raced carpet on tracks with wood, pvc and with road rails. The road rails are MY least favorite by a wide margin.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:24 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

Since everyone hates the Road Rails so much... Does anyone have any they wanna sell me for cheap?
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #74
Tech Initiate

I think they are not a good choice for carpet.I agree with you there 100%

My farvorite carpet track uses sqaure downspout that is velcroed to the carpet.It uses a wood insert at the connection joints which are seemless when put together and they use flappers at critical corners which is very forgiving.Perfect for a permanent track/layout that doesnt need to be layed out every raceday.
nesacuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

<---- still thinking the foot high mounds of jello wouldn't be a bad idea. Just think... orange and grape jello for a novak sponored race... you could mold your own corner dots...the possibilities are endless.

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote