R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2004, 08:09 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think it's been shown by both sides that Road Rails have their good points and have their bad points. We've all agreed that there are few perfect tracks and we've all agreed that some drivers can be a danger and we've all agreed that proper barriers need to be in place between racing and spectators.
Road Rails have their place in the RC world. Some people will love them , some people will hate them. Personally, looking at the larger picture, I think RC is better with them. Some clubs and track owners would not be offering a racing program if they didn't have a track system that fit their requirements. In my case and many others, Road Rails fit the bill. If I had stayed on the other more accepted path....I wouldn't be offering a racing program today.

Silver Cup....i'm envious !! I've read about your program and you're doing a great job. Keep it up.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:09 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok, ok, Let me define my opinion better as well. I am not in favor of the road rail system because as a club racer you are trying to race and promote this hobby to the unknowing masses. In doing so you are going to get "Little Johnny and his new TC4" on the track. The real trick is to keep him there. If someone with relatively little expierence at racing is doing so with road rails they will see first hand the lauches and head-ons that occur. With that comes expensive replacement parts and frustration. Is this what will help "Johnny" stay at that track, I think not. So, to wrap it up, yes road rail I'm sure would be fine for the Worlds and other top races but for me, the weekend racer, road rail doesn't fit the needs of a hobby that needs all the support it can muster from getting and keeping new people. My .02.

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:21 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Absolutely incorrect !!!!!! Little Johnny needs to have an oppurtunity to experience RC and 9 out of 10 times he and the people who taxi him around aren't going to happen upon a club race or a commercial track. VISIBILITY !!! That's something that is getting increasingly hard to afford by many business's much less a local club. By having the most portable track system I know of, I've been able to attend local car shows and charity events where we set up a small track and offered RTR demo cars. Try that with 20 ft long pieces of PVC or wood !! And if you're talking about professional appearances.....Do you really think any body is impressed by some ratty PVC or 2x4's !!??
You're not talking from experience.....I am, and I can honestly say that without this system my goal of being able to go get potential club members or customers...rather than waiting for them to come through the door,would never happen.
And BTW...I have to keep asking....why is there so much talk about getting airborne and crashing. Can anybody keep their car ON the track ?? If not, then you're skills need to be worked on and that's not the tracks' fault.
I'll also re-state an earlier comment. In 4 months of use our club members have had no major breakages. Not one of our group has had continuous breakages either. 1 young new driver had his first breakage after 4 months. His question to me was "what did I do wrong".. NOT.. " Gee, why did the track break my car ".

Last edited by Evoracer; 10-31-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:35 PM   #49
Tech Elite

I may have incorrectly stated myself as a "club" racer. I race at a LHS. The track there is in the parking lot which is set up and taken down every weekend. Yes, they use split PVC which is hard on the cars, but it does keep the cars down better than road rail. I know the appearances of the road rail are nice, but I would rather have something that performs. I'm talking from experience, I've used both.
As for your question of "Can anyone keep their car ON the track??" I realize it is not the fault of the rail system that your car is airborn. My question is, if we could all keep it between the rails so well and have such magnificent control of the cars at all times couldn't we just draw some lines with chalk? I thought it was the JOB of the rail system to keep the cars under control IF we happen to lose it.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:37 PM   #50
Tech Regular

I would like to race on a track like they do at the DHI cup. Looks like they only use corner dots that flatten if you accitentally drive over them.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:39 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Looking back through this thread, I need to clarify something. I race primarily at rather tight, smaller courses. So, with my experience at the tracks i race, the road rails will not be a favorable choice for rails. If you are lucky enough to have such an open track such as Silvercup's I understand how road rail would be a good choice and work well.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:53 PM   #52
Tech Adept

killingtime: I actually think the opposite of you. With big open tracks the speeds are much higher, and when someone hits them at higher speeds they really launch and cartwheel. Much more catastrophic when things go wrong.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:58 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Evoracer makes a good point. We should all practice our driving. It is our fault when another guy jumps over the road ramp and ends up facing the wrong way on the straightaway. I am going to go out and practice catching bullets with my teeth. There is the way things ought to be, and then there is the way things are. The way things ought to be is that nobody ever crashes. In reality, people make the mistakes. Crashing is a part of racing. Knowing that, using materials that will minimize the chance that someone elses mistakes will take me out is not too much to ask. You (Evo) defend these rally course obstacles like you make them. While it has been far from unanimous, most people seem to think they leave a lot to be desired. They cause more problems than they solve.

Last edited by Scott Fisher; 10-31-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:59 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Actually, the job of the track is to simply outline the course. It is ultimately the driver who's responsible for staying within the course outlined. It's the same in full scale racing. How many road tracks do you see with course outlines that are solid walls ?? None !! Solid walls are there primarily to keep cars away from spectators or to keep a car from going in to outer areas that may allow more harm to the driver. Any road course driver will tell you that he would rather have large open areas to crash in rather than solid objects. In RC terms....YES, it would be better in some ways if we only used chalk marker to outline the course and just have a PVC or wood outer barrier. Gee....just like real racing !!
The problem with RC is that our track layouts are not like real tracks. Real tracks generally don't have areas where cars are traveling in opposite directions with only a couple of feet of grass in between. On our tracks, the Road Rail, PVC or wood is all there is. But does that mean we should absolutely depend on the track to keep us in the driving lane. Yes and No......Yes, I think it would be prudent to make jumping into the opposing lane difficult. No, it should not be considered a crutch for those who drive badly or assume that the rail will keep them in the lane.
Lastly, our track varies between 40x80 and 40x96 in size. At shows, we normally set up a 40x40 demo track. And again ,we've had very little breakage.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:06 PM   #55
Tech Elite

I completely agree with you on everything you stated especially; "No rail system should be used as a crutch for bad driving".
OK, OK....I think we agree to one point, that if a track has the room and laid out correctly (as to avoid side by side head-on racing) the road rails would do just fine. But in some cases (depending on track lay-out and size) they are not the ideal rail system.
I'm trying to find some common ground with you Evo!, work with me!

Last edited by killingtime; 10-31-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:09 PM   #56
Tech Adept

Lanes seperated with foot high mounds of jello.

Problem solved.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:12 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Bodido
Lanes seperated with foot high mounds of jello.

Problem solved.
not bad....maybe we could get sponsorship from Bill Cosby?

Old 10-31-2004, 10:14 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Who said the job of the track is too simply outline the course. Even if that were the case, with a change of materials, not only can we outline the track, but we can make it more fair for the racers. As you pointed out yourself, this is not real racing. Even on most road style tracks, there is enough room when someone goes off the track they rarely interfere with cars on another part of the track.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:18 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Killingtime.....Works for me.....I think I've repeatedly said the Rails were not perfect. Especially for some uses in my opinion. And yes, if considerations are made for opposing traffic, any track can be made better for the driver.

Bodido.....too messy!! Mandatory Air Bags !!....thats the ticket.
Hit another car and you're an instant Marshmellow !!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:20 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Bodido
killingtime: I actually think the opposite of you. With big open tracks the speeds are much higher, and when someone hits them at higher speeds they really launch and cartwheel. Much more catastrophic when things go wrong.
I run electric stock so our speeds are not outrageous. I can see how nitro guys and modifieds could get into trouble though. My thoughts were that with a more open course you may have a bit more room to correct mistakes/ avoid others mistakes before hitting a rail. My .02, which usually isn't worth it.