R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

I hate them, I much rather hit a wall than send my car flying across the track. I'll tell you what I really hate... Corner dots, or should I say launch ramps?
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:49 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

Can't stand them. There's always somebody jumping the rail into the straight.
Trackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 10:34 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I hate the road rail (ramp) system.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:20 PM   #34
Tech Initiate

i dont see how any one could think that road ramps can be used for track layouts
they are more useful as offroad obstacles on an onroad track or just speed bumps for tyco cars either way they wont see there way into any big race
cain921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 11:25 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

any thing on a race track that can send dangerous projectiles flying at inocent turn marshals should be banned by some government agency
cain921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:46 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This should be interesting.....How many of you have taken a look at the worlds coverage ??? How many have run on a track like that with concrete berms ?? How many of you have seen the amazing distance an electric car can fly when it jumps one of these excuisite , expensive, world class quality , no where near a barrier type systems.
This is a world class quality track and it has , at the very least, a huge dose of the same qualities some of you are screaming about with Road Rails. What really amazed me was that of the 125 or so drivers that I saw run at the worlds, those daunting curbs were jumped pretty infrequently.
The point here is that even a world class quality track can be a dangerous place if a driver can't keep it between the lines. I'm amazed how many of you comment that you need a track system that KEEPS YOUR CAR ON THE TRACK !!! If that's an absolute for you then you might consider trying slot cars........ooops, I'm sorry, EVEN THEY go flying off the track !!!

The point-- NO TRACK OWNER WILL EVER PLEASE ALL OF YOU, BUT IT'S YOUR JOB TO KEEP THE CAR ON THE TRACK.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:50 AM   #37
Tech Elite

In defense of Road Rails and I'll say again and again......I'll bet that almost all of you who have had a bad experience with Road Rails probably didn't even know or attempt to use the simple fixes that Road Rails suggests.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:32 AM   #38
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Worlds drivers hitting the "rails"

You must not be looking at the pictures

http://www.fseara.org/worldsmain.htm

RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:51 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Thanks for trying. I state again.....out of 125 or so drivers running all the way up to an M main ...very FEW ( that does not spell "none" ) drivers jumped the curbing.
Also, your point simply makes clearer the point that everyone will and can jump a curb NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE TRACK. Sorry , but your argument about Road Rails being the blame for driving mistakes and their consequences is lost in the fact that you've shown that even world class drivers will and can make mistakes on the most extravagant courses. I'll tell you what I tell all our new drivers........
Speed is nothing unless YOU can get it around the track !!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:15 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Tamiya USA's track is a perfect example. They have a bullseye on the wood board that faces the "Kink" in the center to see who hits it. I've seen many a pro racer launch their car off this kink and all the curbing at that track and it's best track IMO in the country. Also, a combination of Road Ralis, wood barriers, and plastic flaps was used at the ROAR Region 12 championships last month. So saying Road Rail will never see a big race is completely un true. As long as the system is layed out properly and you keep it between the fence posts, there's no problem. I'm not sure how Scott from 4FunHobbies (where the regional were held) has his system anchored, but their road rails don't move, EVER.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:15 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Ridin' the Rails

Our track (www.eslroc.com)uses the Road Rail System and love them! Steve Zwonitzer is great to deal with and has helped us out allot. They, like any other system, are not completly perfect but are very easy to set-up and store. We have added PVC pipe on the top of the rails where there is a critical spot where oncoming traffic is in the adjacent lane and it protected guys from going into a head on situation. Here are a few pictures of one of our track layouts.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:36 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
This should be interesting.....How many of you have taken a look at the worlds coverage ??? How many have run on a track like that with concrete berms ?? How many of you have seen the amazing distance an electric car can fly when it jumps one of these excuisite , expensive, world class quality , no where near a barrier type systems.
This is a world class quality track and it has , at the very least, a huge dose of the same qualities some of you are screaming about with Road Rails. What really amazed me was that of the 125 or so drivers that I saw run at the worlds, those daunting curbs were jumped pretty infrequently.
The point here is that even a world class quality track can be a dangerous place if a driver can't keep it between the lines. I'm amazed how many of you comment that you need a track system that KEEPS YOUR CAR ON THE TRACK !!! If that's an absolute for you then you might consider trying slot cars........ooops, I'm sorry, EVEN THEY go flying off the track !!!

The point-- NO TRACK OWNER WILL EVER PLEASE ALL OF YOU, BUT IT'S YOUR JOB TO KEEP THE CAR ON THE TRACK.
AMEN!!! We ran a 4 hour enduro with 8 teams and not 1 mid air flying car caused any problems due to the fact that most of us dont jump the curbs.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 07:03 PM   #43
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to BlackFlagRacing

If you notice the candy canes are on inside corners and have a 4x4 barrier help keep cars on the right side on the track. Also if look you will notice a different barrier on the ouside on the track which is about 8 to 10" tall. I believe the parts of the track that are next to the staights are barricaded. Also keep in mind that these guys can ALL drive, this is the world's you know. They don't have little Johnny's (that just got a new tc4 with a 8 single and has never raced before) running with them. Most of the damage with road rails come from less experienced drivers not from the quality of the system. 2x4's and such are usually a little harder on your car when you make a mistake, but they can save you from others mistakes. I'd rather break knowing that I shouldn't have tried to push myself so hard in that last corner then to have been taking out by an airbourne car that was going full throttle into a hairpin turn.
BlackFlagRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Actually when I look at the World's pictures I see a combination of curbing, pieces of astroturf often SEVERAL feet wide, and wooden barriers as well. Very little in common with road rails at all. Spectators are protected from cars by catch netting that appears to be about four feet tall.

Of course there were very infrequent curb jumping at World's. Maybe because, ummm, hmmmm, I don't know maybe 'cuz it was World's!! Best 125 drivers on the planet might have something to do with that.

There is no perfect barrier. Let's face it. If you have a fairly small area where the speeds aren't too high, and you need something very portable.... Road rails are a decent choice. Every one who uses them succesfully, generally has to modify them. They are expensive to start with, and when you have to modify them and duct tape them down for them to suit your needs, you have to wonder if it is really worth it. They are lightweight and stack very nicely (when not modified), however.

For permanent carpet tracks, they are definately not worth it. If you don't have to pick up your track and put it away at the end of the night, then there is no point in using road rails. They absolutely destroy 1/12 scale tires. when you slightly graze the rails is when they do the most damage. At least sometimes they'll gash the big foam chunk off so clean that you can glue it back on (provided you find the chunk).

If you have a larger track where nitro sedans are approaching 50 mph, they are not a good choice. Especially if you don't have a fence or catch netting ALL the way around the track. For example: where that small child has his back turned to the track in the picture posted above. On a bigger track with nitro sedans, that could be a very scary situation.

I'd bet that better than 75% of the places that use the road rails don't have something in place to adequetely keep the cars from cartwheeling off the side of the track after they hit something that launches them. It's that combination that I don't like seeing. Something 6" tall is not gonna cut it, either.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:03 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Bodido
Actually when I look at the World's pictures I see a combination of curbing, pieces of astroturf often SEVERAL feet wide, and wooden barriers as well. Very little in common with road rails at all. Spectators are protected from cars by catch netting that appears to be about four feet tall.

Of course there were very infrequent curb jumping at World's. Maybe because, ummm, hmmmm, I don't know maybe 'cuz it was World's!! Best 125 drivers on the planet might have something to do with that.

There is no perfect barrier. Let's face it. If you have a fairly small area where the speeds aren't too high, and you need something very portable.... Road rails are a decent choice. Every one who uses them succesfully, generally has to modify them. They are expensive to start with, and when you have to modify them and duct tape them down for them to suit your needs, you have to wonder if it is really worth it. They are lightweight and stack very nicely (when not modified), however.

For permanent carpet tracks, they are definately not worth it. If you don't have to pick up your track and put it away at the end of the night, then there is no point in using road rails. They absolutely destroy 1/12 scale tires. when you slightly graze the rails is when they do the most damage. At least sometimes they'll gash the big foam chunk off so clean that you can glue it back on (provided you find the chunk).

If you have a larger track where nitro sedans are approaching 50 mph, they are not a good choice. Especially if you don't have a fence or catch netting ALL the way around the track. For example: where that small child has his back turned to the track in the picture posted above. On a bigger track with nitro sedans, that could be a very scary situation.

I'd bet that better than 75% of the places that use the road rails don't have something in place to adequetely keep the cars from cartwheeling off the side of the track after they hit something that launches them. It's that combination that I don't like seeing. Something 6" tall is not gonna cut it, either.
Awesome post spot on.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote