Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rocket cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 04:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default rocket cars

This might be a stupid question, and i'm not sure if its a relevant forum.
But has any body out there made a rocket powered car, like a drag car, powered by those model rockets? Thinking of making one out of redundant spares, thought it might be a fun challenge.

Anybody got any thoughts?

W
Old 10-28-2004, 05:05 AM
Tech Initiate

sounds cool but ull need to mount it on very well or it could be very dangerous
Old 10-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

yeah, i was thinking of running it in a crowd, in a confined space......not really, i think its just an interesting concept, and was wondering if anybody else has done this?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

I want to see pics of whats left when your done. One of them motors have alot of thrust. It would make a cool video.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

get a 1/12 and stuff a whole bunch too the back off it. (sound effects) pppppppfffffffffffffffhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttt
Old 10-28-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default i have 3

i have 3 rocket cars

:mk1=chevy ute single rocket/no cradle/alloy burn plate/small rocket/very low /light
[due to it bieng to low and to light it never went straight and flipped every time]

:mk2=cadilac escalade single rocket/custom cradle/mediem rocket/perfect waight and ride hight[this 1 went perfect every time very fast and smooth until a crash with a bin destroyed it][fixing it now]

:mk3=h2 hummer dual rocket/E9 size rockets[bigest 1 you can get]/double welded cradle[kolds the rockets]/it also has a circut in it that makes it so once 1 has fired just as its goin dead the other 1 fires/this 1 has yet to be run so i think this 1 will be the fastest 1 out of the 3 and im thinking im gonna have to strengthen the chassis
Old 10-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

at my LHS they sell a rocket car that is not radio controled, its on a string and goes straight down kinda like a drag car
Old 10-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

at my LHS they sell a rocket car that is not radio controled, its on a string and goes straight down kinda like a drag car

They do????

I put a D motor on a PineBox Derby car once.... I'll emphasize... ONCE!!!! Hehehe....
Old 10-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The guys at Hobbytown in Corona tried it a few times...it was pretty cool.

They used one of the guys GT-4 RTR nitro cars and made a shelf/wing deal that held 6 "D" Estes motors. They hit it at about 10-15 MPH and it looked like one of those 4th of July carnation-spinner deals.

They re-engineered it to use three motors stacked in a triangle, closer to the center. It worked MUCH better. It looked like it got kicked in the ass and made a lot of smoke...and went pretty straight.

They have some videos of it -- I can try to get ahold of the tape, but I don't have the equipment to post it up here.

The first time was pretty impressive/destructive...it was flying and flopping all over the place and there was all kinds of smoke.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Oh yeah...they used the throttle servo to engage the ignitor at WOT. It had a separate 9v battery to light it off through a set of contacts attached tot he chassis and the end of the servo horn.

On the second run, one of the motors misfired and burned throught the front end...totally smoked the shell (HPI F-150).
Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

[i].

On the second run, one of the motors misfired and burned throught the front end...totally smoked the shell (HPI F-150). [/B]
thats not good sounds kool though
Old 10-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

i made a car out of a block of balsa and i used a 12gram c02 carterage and the propelent and my god it went so fast, you just need this thing that punches a hole in the carterage via a switch so the c02 can excape i dont know where to get it but my teacher had one, and you can do it indoors!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:29 PM

a few years ago i made one using two D size motors, 1/8 scale funny car body, don't remember what i used as a platform, it had a working chute and looked cooler then cool with the smoke and then the chute. it had on board igniters which never lit at the same time, requiring the car to be "pushed" by hand otherwise it would go sideways and start spinning when the "1" motor lit. i cut it up and threw it away when one of the motors exploded or back flashed or something and threw a fire ball about 20 feet behind the car leaving the "pusher" with a large black spot on his t-shirt and no hair on his arms or eye bows. i would find a pre built version and see hows its done before actually doing one, and don't stand behind it.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Tech Initiate

i modded a old kyosho buggy i put a one way berring in place of the slipper and monted a rocket where the rear wing would be i used a cheep toys r us type radio systme to ignight the rocket

it was a cool idea but i had no breaks and once i light the rocket i had no steering and it didnt go much faster then
the 9 single i had in it
Old 10-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

I just went over to HTU and they do have the video of the rocket-powered Yokomo.

Now if I just knew how to get it converted and posted...any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.