Search

Help identifying two cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Help identifying two cars

Hey guys.

Was wanting some help identifying a pair of older cars. The first is mine, it was given to me by one of my dads mates, he pulled it out after years of living in a box, it glitched like crazy and he was going to throw it in the bin. Then he heard I was into RC and thought he'd give it to me to "use for spare parts or something". It came with a VERY old Nicd battery, the only one he had by the looks, 240v charger, and an AM stick radio (a Sanwa Saber). It looks to be an RTR, its also 4wd. The antenna tube was laying over the MSC and wrapped around each of the body posts. I'm guessing this combined with the Nicd not holding a lot of charge was the cause of the cars glitching. All I had to do was grab one of my Nimh batts, redo the antenna and use some servo tape to stick down the receiver. I free'd up the suspension a little and that's it, the car drove fine (better then I thought it would).

Here's the car:

I'm thinking about doing a bit of a rally conversion for it, just as a bit of fun. I've had a good look, and with a caliper checked the shock length, and then removed the shocks from the car to see how much up travel I can get before it starts to change the camber and track width of the car. Shocks measure in at 53.5mm, and the up travel will get to almost right on 60mm before the wheel geometry changes. (I checked front and back).

So here's what I'm thinking. I can get I set of Yeah Racing 60mm oil dampers for about $25. And a ESC for about $20. I already have a receiver for my GTB3 spare, so i'm sweet there.

All I'm worried about (and this goes for both cars), is I don't want to go butchering some rare classics because I didn't know they were.

The other car, is my best mates, that again has sat on a shelf for years. It's about 10 years old. It was built from a kit, and he says they are oil dampers on the car. All we know is its a Kyosho, and is a RWD rally car.

Some pics:

With his, i'm thinking rebuild the shocks (or buy new Yeah Racing ones), go for an ESC (I have a spare Kyosho one from my TF5 RTR.) And a spare FM Radio (a perfex). And just give the car a general once over.

Will need new rally block wheels for both.

So what are these cars, and should I leave them alone, or tinker away.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

First car looks like a Tamiya TL-01 Chassis.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'll second that. The first car is a Tamiya TL-01 for sure.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for that guys! Anyone on the second car?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

The second car is a Kyosho. Mid-90s era, supplied with rally shells, can't remember what they called that generation of car but it shares a lot of parts with the Outrage electric buggy.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:50 AM
Tech Addict

TL01 is pretty much obslelete, top heavy & chassis breaks easily. I have a few of em. Dont worry about butchering em, not rare or collectable
A fun project is to covert the TL01 to a 4WD m-chassis(mini)
A 'speed tune gear set' will give you more top speed. Make sure it got ballbearings installed, they came standard with bushings: aaarrrggh

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-01-forum.html

heres my modded TL01, mini cooper body fits nicely if you cut back the wheel arches
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Addict

Looks cool mate.

I'm going to stick to a rally conversion tho. Should be simple, and will also mean we both have equally sh*t cars for some rally bashing . lol. No further I.D on second car?