R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #136
Tech Regular

this article is great. I think it really depends who you have in front of you. I have been traveling for a few years now about 10 times a year and I have not had any major issues but I only cary my radio with me in my carry on. Everything else is in my checked bags because some people say batteries in your checked bags can be a problem and I have had the opposite where I had problems with my battery when I had them in my carry on. But if you follow this article, you should not run into any problems I have never had anything taken away from me in over 50 rc trip.

AE / Reedy / ApexRCproshop
Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Keven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #137
Tech Master

Great posts! Thanks everyone!
RCThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #138
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks everyone for the advice.....I'm definately going to get one of the hauler boxes from Wal-Mart...That article is definately great, as I have never flown out of state for a race...I'll see all of you at the birds
NPETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #139
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

From TSA's website.

They ALWAYS check my batteries but never had any issues this way. Before I knew the rule was changed I had all my batteries taken twice in my checked bags and also held my luggage coming home from Vegas one day too. Luckily I got everything but the batteries back then.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #140
Tech Master

Great video to get excited about the Snowbirds! Still plenty of time to plan on racing!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
RCThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #141
Tech Regular

I've flown a number of times with r/c racing kit, and have a hard poly-carb suitcase which has protected my kit well

Will pack the racing kit in tight and then fill any gaps with my racing t-shirts. I also wrap some bubble wrap around any fragile kit I'm packing in checked luggage.
MarkBurgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #142
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
I've flown a number of times with r/c racing kit, and have a hard poly-carb suitcase which has protected my kit well

Will pack the racing kit in tight and then fill any gaps with my racing t-shirts. I also wrap some bubble wrap around any fragile kit I'm packing in checked luggage.
I just use a HPI Savage hauler the last 2 trips to the US and it's been fine. I just make sure like Mark that everything is packed properly in boxes for support. I do make sure I tell them what's in the bag, most times I have had to go to "Out sized" luggage and had it all checked. Never been an issue. Batteries (LiPo at least) are on a list of items that are acceptable in the cargo hold, I made sure before flying with the CAA. To be safe, I always pack a copy of an RC magazine in the case so you can explain what all the gear is if asked.

Dave
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
But, I do have a ????...will there be any tread rule for VTA tires...such as full tread across or just visible...
Just visible tread to prove the tires are the correct part numbers (p/n 4797 & 4793). If you have any questions at the race, you can find me in tech or by the scoring stand.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #144
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSoul View Post
To be safe, I always pack a copy of an RC magazine in the case so you can explain what all the gear is if asked.

Dave
...an excellent tip from Dave and one I'd forgotten to mention. I either put a r/c racing magazine or a flyer for the meeting in the case for just that reason.

I also unplug any batteries in any electrical kit I've packed...Dremel, vernier gauge etc. I don't take motor cleaner with me and buy it from an r/c shop when I get to the US. And the limited number of liquids I pack get wrapped in at least one sealed plastic bag as they are bound to leak during the flight.

Happy New Year Dave...see you in Florida
MarkBurgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #145
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
If you read the TSA / Flight info on Lipo's you get one per electronic device in it and a spare. I put one in each car and a spare.
Ive never heard this before. Can anyone verify this rule for US air travel?

Does this mean you shouldnt bring a storage pack/case with 5-6 lipo packs by itself? What is the proper way to "pack" batteries for air travel? In their individual box that they were sold in?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #146
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Another stupid question: Can we pay when we get there or are there only a limited number of spots? Just wondering if I should pre-pay or just pay when I get there?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #147
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
Just visible tread to prove the tires are the correct part numbers (p/n 4797 & 4793). If you have any questions at the race, you can find me in tech or by the scoring stand.
thanks, and glad about the tech....

is there a list of racers posted so far?...and how many?
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #148
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Ive never heard this before. Can anyone verify this rule for US air travel?

Does this mean you shouldnt bring a storage pack/case with 5-6 lipo packs by itself? What is the proper way to "pack" batteries for air travel? In their individual box that they were sold in?
I posted the link to the latest TSA rules on this thread a few post back.

EA
Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #149
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I posted the link to the latest TSA rules on this thread a few post back.

EA
I read the rules, and they mentioned nothing about a limit on the # of lithium batteries... such as only one per electronic device, etc. Hence my question.

This is all it says regarding the "number" of batteries:

Quote:
the FAA no longer allows large, palletized shipments of these batteries to be transported as cargo on passenger aircraft.
It does mention the following regarding individual batteries:

Quote:
If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating the batteries from contact with other batteries and metal. Do not permit a loose battery to come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys, or jewelry.

Place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Isolating terminals prevents short-circuiting.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #150
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
I read the rules, and they mentioned nothing about a limit on the # of lithium batteries... such as only one per electronic device, etc. Hence my question.

This is all it says regarding the "number" of batteries:

It does mention the following regarding individual batteries:
The page there is from their site when searching for "lithium". So I would assume whats on their page is the most up to date on batteries. Doesnt mean they wont change it tomorrow! LOL

Everytime I get mine checked in the xray machine in my carry on stuff the people working there have no clue what they are and dont care as long as it doesnt set the explosive detection device off when the swab it and scan the swab. Its really kinda scary the TSA workers dont know the TSA rules.

I carried about 20 packs back from IIC in Vegas in my carry on and they said nothing after the swab scan.

EA