R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Fan on motor (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/5376-fan-motor.html)

MX3 05-22-2002 11:29 AM

Fan on motor

i was thinking of hooking u a small computer fan(1"x1") to cool down the motor while running by attaching the fan leads to the motor tabs...will this work??any comments?

ijnek 05-22-2002 12:48 PM

hmmm,...
correct mi if i'm wrong...
a computer fan will need 12VDC to run it,how and where r u going 2 get that power...
the normal electric car batt will provide oni 7.2V...so i dun think so it will work,...
ok,let's say u did get it 2 work,this will surely affect the run time and mayb the punch from ur batt also...
wat abt the xtra weight incurred???...12VDC/1.5VDC=8 AA size batts...it's going 2 affect ur car a lot...

watever the issue,i dun think it's workable...
a cooler motor might improve performance,but 2 install a fan 2 cool the motor,i think the disadvantages far-weight the advantages,...
but still it's a good idea,...
if u have a motor heat sink,try putting it on ice or even in the freezer to make it as cold as possible,it helps too,...b sure 2 dry it before putting it back on ur motor,...dry ice helps too...

patcollins 05-22-2002 02:50 PM

You can use a small 5V fan, putting 7.2V into the fan is too much voltage for it. GO to Radio Shack and get a 5V voltage regulator (1.79), take the voltage from the receiver into the voltage regulator and into the fan.

I put this setup on my ESC in my Stampede to keep it cool because its enclosed in a box to keep the snow and water out. TO check it out I had an MIP temp gage bonded to the heat sink. The fan took the ESC from cooking hot to just slightly warmer than air temperature.

Babblefish 05-22-2002 03:45 PM

A 12v fan will work as-is. That 12v rating is just nominal, meaning it will run on less voltage, but will turn slower. If you measure the voltage of a charged six cell battery pack, you'll see that it is almost 9v. A 5v fan directly connected to the battery pack will probably work also, it'll just spin faster. The only problem with using this type of fan is that they are designed for a compromise between low noise, power efficiency and CFM (cubic feet/minute of air moved). For cooling a hot motor, it may not move enough air - great for keeping an ESC cool though. But hey, try it! Best way to learn is to just do it.

diesel31 05-22-2002 04:43 PM

target has these little fans for like 12 bucks and you can rest your car on top of it. by the time you get back from marshalling, it'll all be cooled off. and it plugs into the wall.

IceBerG71 05-23-2002 08:01 PM

i tried it before with a 5V fan to cool the chassis when i using TB01 tub which is fully enclosed up. it do cool a bit. the source comes from the motor whcih is connected to the EXC. when u run, the fan spins and it spins faster as u pushed the trigger more. if u connect it direct to the battery, it will always spin even if u are not running, waste of battery runtime.

Or u can buy those Pc fan, 12V and use the batteries after run to power them to cool the motor and esc after a race. after 1 or 2 heats, both of them will be cooled off. When u buy the fan, look at the blazes and the Amp rating. they will affect the amount of air that is blown into the stuff that u want to cool

Just my advice.