Wiki Posts
Search

Transmitter batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Transmitter batteries

I can't find any info on upgrading transmitter batteries. I would like to drop a LiPoly 14.8 volt battery pack into my M8 with a voltage reg on it but would like to know who has already done this and what is needed to be done , what batteries etc.
Any info would be great as I am kinda in the dark on this one. I have the Triton for this reason alone and i think the LiPoly will be the ultimate battery for transmitters with no memory in them.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Transmitter batteries

Originally posted by INFERN0
I can't find any info on upgrading transmitter batteries. I would like to drop a LiPoly 14.8 volt battery pack into my M8 with a voltage reg on it but would like to know who has already done this and what is needed to be done , what batteries etc.
Any info would be great as I am kinda in the dark on this one. I have the Triton for this reason alone and i think the LiPoly will be the ultimate battery for transmitters with no memory in them.
14.8 volts??? I think the M8 can take max 8 x 1.5v cells which is equal to 12 volts... But like you said, putting a regulator with it is okay I think.. but what are the size of the LiPoly battery and what's the capacity????

It's interesting if you can do it... all the best.. and keep up posting.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been using a 3cell LiPo in my transmitter for year now with no problems. The cells are 4.2v each fully charged which come out to 12.6v and 8 alkaline batteries are closer to 13v in series when new. I used to run a 9cell NiCad that when charged fast it would be 13.2v right off the charger and never had a problem with that one either. You should be able to find lower voltage LiPo cells so you wouldn't need a regulator. Most LiPo's that I know of are rated at 3.6v and full charge voltage is 4.2v.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mind_Blower
I've been using a 3cell LiPo in my transmitter for year now with no problems. The cells are 4.2v each fully charged which come out to 12.6v and 8 alkaline batteries are closer to 13v in series when new. I used to run a 9cell NiCad that when charged fast it would be 13.2v right off the charger and never had a problem with that one either. You should be able to find lower voltage LiPo cells so you wouldn't need a regulator. Most LiPo's that I know of are rated at 3.6v and full charge voltage is 4.2v.
That'a a good results .... what's the capacity??? and how do you charge them?? Is it AA size???
Old 10-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

HT Batteries sells the whole lit For I think $95.00 including a charger but it sounds you don't need it so I think the tray and batteries it comes to $65.00 Check it out. I almost bought some but I switched to the Helios.
Here is the link
http://www.htbatteries.com/Public_html/Tx%20packs.htm
Hope this helps.

Stephen <><
Old 10-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

It's a 2200mah and I get about 10 hours of use per charge. I charge it with a Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII. The cells I used are flat and measure about 2 5/8" long, 2 1/8" wide, and 3/16" thick. That's each cell. I know it fits the R-1 and 3pk just take out the battery tray and add some foam to take up the dead space. You'll have to take a little material off the radio under where the tray sits to get the battery to sit low enough to clear the battery door.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmm. The HT's look kinda neat but the capacity is somewhat lacking. I am looking for that 10 hrs of use without charge type deal. Do you have any more info on what you did ?
Old 10-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

I got mine from here

http://www.batteriesamerica.com/lithium_polymer.htm

I made my own using the LP2200 cells but I see they have pre-made 3cell packs now that might work although they put a different plug on it. You can see in the pics of the cells at the top of the page that there is a little extra material all the way around the cell, when you build it just make sure you fold it up or it will be a struggle to get it in the radio.