Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 17.5 brushless combo ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you know what the rules are for the "GT2" class you are planning on racing in?

I ask because we have a "GT2" class here that there are all sorts of different rules for depending where you race. It can be zero timing (blinky)spec ESCs and 21.5 motors, one track allowed boosted 21.5 or there is also TCS where it's only tamiya brushed motors(this may vary depending on location).

If it's a zero timing spec class, you don't need a high end ramping ESC, but it does need to be sensored.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
Do you know what the rules are for the "GT2" class you are planning on racing in?

I ask because we have a "GT2" class here that there are all sorts of different rules for depending where you race. It can be zero timing (blinky)spec ESCs and 21.5 motors, one track allowed boosted 21.5 or there is also TCS where it's only tamiya brushed motors(this may vary depending on location).

If it's a zero timing spec class, you don't need a high end ramping ESC, but it does need to be sensored.
+ 1 on this

I was running a Speed Passion 2.1 with LRP X12 17.5 in a no timing VTA class but just changed to this esc as it's lighter:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._10_1_12_.html

And so far would have to say it's tough to tell between the two esc's (besides the price)
Old 07-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No i guess are club is not that complex gt2 was just black can before but now its just black can for tcs and then any 17.5 setup for our club races and thats it
Old 07-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

If you are on a tight budget I would look at the Novak Gtb2 or the new Novak edge with a Novak ballistic motor
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

well im not exactly on a budget but i do want to know whats the best and whats the best bang for my buck.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Team powers 17.5 plutonium with a speed passion 2.1 or tekin rs. Esc. Or even the teampowers esc is a mice affordable combo.

Selling
MY back up setup main setup works fine.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

wow getting a lot of different opinions here so what i gathered so far is the best would be the black diamond esc coupled with the team corally motor or hw esc....and if im on a budget novak combos or speedpassion ok got it.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Well I think it is also about feeling out of the box.
This is what i have found.
Tekin ESC out of the box is a very Punchy Raw feeling.
But it needs some tweaking and adjusting to make it feel smooth.

The Speed Passion has a very smooth feeling out of the box.
And needs a bit adjusting to make it go rawr, and feel punchy.

Team Powers ESC Has Both, it is very punchy and you can easily make it as punchy as the tekin for less. Smoothness wise I am still working this ESC.
Maybe its the Short Can motor I am playing with lol.

KO Propo Has no reverse but its one of smoothest ones out there.
Also even though it has no boost. If you adjust it correct, you can gain the same effect as boost w/o killing your motor.

Mamba Max Pro After 1gen/version1 took a dump in quality and feels like a turd. Regardless of the settings,... compared to the other ones.

I am pretty sure each ESC will feel different. If you getting a Highend programable ESC, you can always get them programed to your liking some more so some less. Depends what you are looking for. I am not leaning towards any ESC in any way, To me its what suits me best. Money, Quality, Adjustibality, Upgradability, etc etc.

You will see alot of people swear up and down upon their favorite ESC. But at the end its your opinion which is better for you.

Good Luck on your ESC hunt =D
Old 07-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by theatriks
thanks for the replies ..... ive been hearing good things about the novak pro series any thoughts .....and where can i find one of these corally rockets lol
Maybe i go to the track on the wrong days, but so far I have seen about 5-6 novak motor combo smoke up on the track in the last year or so. I have not seen any other brand smoke. So from wait I can see Novak = cheapest crap made in china, sold for biggest buck everywhere else. Currently I run only Tekin setups in my 10 and 8 scales
Old 07-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

ok thanks guys all this info is very helpful and i kinda like tekin myself how do u guys feel on the tekin motors?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Tekin are great ESC.
Their High KV motors seem to be Great.
But 13.5-17.5 seem to have Heat issues.
Though I heard they have more than 1version of the slow KV motors now.
So get the new versions.

I have never personally ran one, this is from what i have seen on the track.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trust me when I say this, the corally motors are so much faster than anything else it's untrue. The 13.5t draws 400 watts - that's more than most other brands do down to 8.5-9.5t. Ignore kv ratings, they only say what the motor will fully rev at, but with adjustable timing that is not important, you need torque to get there in the first place, you then make up for lack of rpm with boost timing, etc and your fdr.

The magnets are so powerful on the corally that you can't turn it over unless you have a pinion on it!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

im sold on the corally now for sure i was told the black diamond esc but its 325 i will spend it if i have too but is there any esc besides the HW thats comparable
Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

D3 motor with RS speedo
Old 08-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

If racing without timing, nothing beats the Corally (it has also been banned in some countries). But they are pretty worthless when racing boosted classes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.