R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Parking Lot practice (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/53680-parking-lot-practice.html)

imjonah 10-26-2004 09:16 AM

Parking Lot practice

The problem with just finding an empty parking lot and using it to practice seems to be poor traction.

(My XXX-S belts are sealed off so pebbles and small rocks are less of a problem)

Any advice on setting up the car to run on an unprepared parking lot. Would it make sence to run foams to get better traction or would the parking lot chew them up. What about treaded tires?

[I do not have a leaf blower and I would like to avoid getting one if possible]

raving-monkey 10-26-2004 09:31 AM

i wouldn't use foams ina car park at all because all the dust just fills in the pours (sp) on the foam so you would get no grip at all...but best would to go for some treaded rubber tyre..maybe a wet tyre as it might be better getting rid of all the dust etc from under the tyre if you get what i mean.:nod:

kufman 10-26-2004 09:31 AM

I would run something like HPI Advans since they are treaded and rubber. Foams get chewed up pretty fast on surfaces other than carpet. Once you learn to drive well on rubber, foams will seem easy.

Chill Will 10-26-2004 12:46 PM

Find a tennis court to practice on. It will be smooth and cleaner.

Tony Szep 10-26-2004 01:05 PM

Good idea but, what happens when you go back to the ashfalt?

rayhuang 10-26-2004 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Tony Szep
Good idea but, what happens when you go back to the ashfalt?
Wont matter one bit-no set-up that workson unprepared surface will work wellon a prepared racing surface-like asphalt with traction compound or carpet.

One suggestion-make sure no fast corners you lay out happen in an off-camber corner. With no grip and weight transfer-your car will spin everytime and no set-up change willl help.

Ray

Speedie 10-26-2004 01:15 PM

Most tennis courts are asphalt

Chill Will 10-26-2004 03:24 PM

We race on a tennis court. We have good traction on it with foams and rubber tires. We even race modified.

Tony Szep 10-27-2004 12:02 PM

Oh, really thats cool

edseb 10-27-2004 09:27 PM

You can get an electric leaf blower for pretty cheap and run it off the power in your pits. Run rubber like Take Off 27s or Sorex 36s. Just run a little more roll and even try to spray the asphault with soda water to help if you have the time.

tornado 10-28-2004 01:36 AM

Originally posted by edseb
........... even try to spray the asphault with soda water to help if you have the time.
We use coke ;)

Bryan :cool::tire::tire::tire:

Hebiki 10-28-2004 10:52 AM

Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
Most tennis courts are asphalt
actually being a former tennis instruction here in so cal :) the tennis courts here would be ideal for rc cars. they are sprayed with a very fine material that gives them that light abrasive feel. it would be PERFECT for traction as soon as you blow off the dust. the only problem would be.. there are the two poles for the net. and tennis courts arent that big.

Bob Barry 10-28-2004 11:09 AM

blow off or sweep off the surface the best you can then get some double purple fronts and purple rears, put on some paragon and run.

Chill Will 10-28-2004 03:21 PM

On the rear, I wouldn't run anything softer than purples on the tennis court. It can be kinda hard on them but great traction.:nod:

Nrctc3 10-30-2004 08:16 PM

Well, for a parking lot practice. I'd first bump-up the right heigh 1/2mm or maybe a whole 1mm. Just so you dont bottom out & scrape up your chassis on the uneven pavement.