Wiki Posts
Search

Buying my first lathe.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Default Buying my first lathe.

Well,
It was inevitable, the time has come to find myself a decent lathe at a decent price. I will be racing stock for the next year but I might jump into mod after that. I tried searching the forums and I didn't find all that much. Wanting to my own motor maintenance leads me to these questions: What are some of the better lathes that are on the market? What are some things that I should be looking for in a lathe?
If anyone can answer some of these questions, I would really appreciate it
Old 10-20-2004, 08:29 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cheapest and best lathe I've found has been the one by Team Cobra. $110-120, comes with a carbide bit but you can upgrade to a diamond bit. Works really well and is easy to use.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Desolas
Cheapest and best lathe I've found has been the one by Team Cobra. $110-120, comes with a carbide bit but you can upgrade to a diamond bit. Works really well and is easy to use.
I second that Desolas, I bought my Team Cobra Pro-Comm lathe and I am going to order the diamond bit soon. I have to carbides I am going to use up first. Excellent lathe for sure.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

I will probably get that one unless anyone else has a reccomendation....I was also looking at integy lathes....any input on those...also how much is the diamond bit and do I really need it to get the job done?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

u say it isd your first lathe.. it should also be your last.. this is one item u want to get right from the start.. it doesnt pay to buy one.. use it for a while then sell it for a better one.. u want performance and quality from the start... the cobra pro mod lathe is in my opinion the best one u can get.. including mine i can think of many more 10 years old or more, and still cut like new... there worth the money..
Old 10-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by burbs
u say it isd your first lathe.. it should also be your last.. this is one item u want to get right from the start.. it doesnt pay to buy one.. use it for a while then sell it for a better one.. u want performance and quality from the start... the cobra pro mod lathe is in my opinion the best one u can get.. including mine i can think of many more 10 years old or more, and still cut like new... there worth the money..
Yes they are, worth every bit of the money!!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

awesome...I can't wait to make the right purchase....one time!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

I would recomend you start off with carbide cutters, until your an expert at it. Diamond bits are hard but they are brittle and fragile. The bit can be damaged and you will never know by looking at the finish. But it will cut out of round. Carbide bits cut 90% as good, and when taken care of last a long time. They also can be bought for less than 5 bucks at a machinists supply store. I use a diamond bit but I am a professional machinist and know exactly how to care for it. I also use the cobra lathe and am very happy with it. No need for a fancy expensive lathe just for cutting a little piece of copper. Good luck
Old 10-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

hmmm....I was in your position a month ago......I was set on getting a Trinity Tru-Lathe 3 since I can trust their products........however nowhere had anyone recommended it. Hudy was too expensive, but I needed to make this the first and last lathe. So I looked into the Cobra, but you had to get the stock conversion for stock motors. The Trinity can cut both armatures, comes with the v-blocks AND ball-bearings and includes a carbide bit for $159

I live in South Africa and ordered from Towerhobbies...so this thing had to work forever coz sending it back would just hurt the budget and the racing schedule.

So far, nothing wrong with the lathe. What did convince me was the review done by Bryan Balak at www.balakracing.

Check it out.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Get the best you can afford.

Be it you spend $100, $200 or even $300. Few years down the road, that amount will cease to be significant. Not to mention resale values of equipment like lathes are very good compared to kits or electronics etc...
Old 10-21-2004, 08:12 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would recomend you start off with carbide cutters, until your an expert at it. Diamond bits are hard but they are brittle and fragile. The bit can be damaged and you will never know by looking at the finish. But it will cut out of round. Carbide bits cut 90% as good, and when taken care of last a long time. They also can be bought for less than 5 bucks at a machinists supply store. I use a diamond bit but I am a professional machinist and know exactly how to care for it. I also use the cobra lathe and am very happy with it. No need for a fancy expensive lathe just for cutting a little piece of copper. Good luck
I agree with that, when your first getting used to using the lathe it is easy to hose a bit if your not fully aware of what's going on. You get a good finish with the carbide bit, but when compared to a comm cut with a diamond bit you can definitely see the difference.

So I looked into the Cobra, but you had to get the stock conversion for stock motors.
Punkynutt, what do you mean? How is cutting a mod comm different than cutting a stock one? (I'm not calling you out, I just don't understand.)
Old 10-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Actually, the visual differences in finish between a diamond and carbide don't mean much. A flawed diamond bit can leave a perfect looking finish but the comm may be out of round. Roundnesss is the most important part of a good cut. Plus, the slightly less smooth finish of a carbide helps brush break in.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
I agree with speedie, I have just been using up my carbide bits and waiting on the diamond bit for now. Hey speedie, ever heard of anyone sharpening the carbide bits on a bench grinder with a green stone?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Probably the best way for an RC racer to sharpen his own carbides would be a small diamond file. Harbor freight sells the file for under 10 bucks. Theres a place down the street from my house that sharpens carbide tools. They charge a whole dollar to sharpen them.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Diamond File

Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
to sharpen his own carbides would be a small diamond file.
Good to know, I think I'll get a diamond file.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.