R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #121
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey guys. I plan on running the car in two different classes. Stock (17.5 boosted) for club meets and 21.5 (blinky) for a different championship. I'm concerned about the gear ratio though as for the blinky I might need to go as low as 2.8/3.0 FDR, this is going to mean something like 45t pinion and 66t spur... would that even fit on an XI?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #122
Tech Apprentice

Hi to all! Tell me please, gear diff v2 for sakura is better than v1 ?

I have v1, and think, that gears wear out quickly, and o-rings is tight, so the differential is working tight!
ezh_m5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For what i know the V2 type gear diff is in the X1.
Did you shim the diff correctly?
Also did you sand the backside of the gears with 600wet sandpaper?.
If i am not mistaken there is a clip on youtube or on the 3racing site that tells you how to build the gear diff.
I have been running the V1 geardiff in my Sakura Zero without any problems at all.

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezh_m5 View Post

I have v1, and think, that gears wear out quickly, and o-rings is tight, so the differential is working tight!
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #124
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
Hey guys. I plan on running the car in two different classes. Stock (17.5 boosted) for club meets and 21.5 (blinky) for a different championship. I'm concerned about the gear ratio though as for the blinky I might need to go as low as 2.8/3.0 FDR, this is going to mean something like 45t pinion and 66t spur... would that even fit on an XI?
The RW 64 pitch spur gears will fit. This will give you alot more room for pinions. Just got the car yesterday and can't wait to try it out this weekend!
R.Fenstermacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #125
Tech Addict

You can get down that low, but it might require some dremeling of the motor mount to remove that little bump near the top, the guy I bought the car off (thanks again hacker ) checked out a few things, and looks like a 40t pinion with a custom 60t spur will work.

Something I'm looking to try though, is the arm of the vertical motor mount for a zero, on the XI. It might prevent some dremeling. I'll post my findings here.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #126
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
You can get down that low, but it might require some dremeling of the motor mount to remove that little bump near the top, the guy I bought the car off (thanks again hacker ) checked out a few things, and looks like a 40t pinion with a custom 60t spur will work.

Something I'm looking to try though, is the arm of the vertical motor mount for a zero, on the XI. It might prevent some dremeling. I'll post my findings here.
Wollw86 i dont know if this answers your question x1 and zero are slightly different vertical arm.x1 is more straight the zero has bit more of a arch in it
ian scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezh_m5 View Post

V1 had a weird pitch on the pulley, some were good some were bad.

Heres how too build a good V2 diff.

http://os.3racing.hk/articles.php?articles_key=133

Had issues when I first built my diff and couldnt get it to seal properly. Ended up sanding both sides of the diff halves. Perfect now no leaks.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #128
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian scott View Post
Wollw86 i dont know if this answers your question x1 and zero are slightly different vertical arm.x1 is more straight the zero has bit more of a arch in it
Yeah that's what I noticed, which is what I'm after, but I just can't tell from photos if it will work on the XI. I can see from photos that the lower part of the mount won't work on the XI because the top deck attaches to the XI but not the zero. But the actual arm looks like it mounts the same on both, and apart from the extra curve looks the same. My mate running the zero s has ordered the mount for his car, but I've asked if before he installs it I can compare and check the fit.

When I find out I'll post up what I find, if it works I'll add some pics too. If it doesn't work I'll bust out the dremel.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #129
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yeah that's what I noticed, which is what I'm after, but I just can't tell from photos if it will work on the XI. I can see from photos that the lower part of the mount won't work on the XI because the top deck attaches to the XI but not the zero. But the actual arm looks like it mounts the same on both, and apart from the extra curve looks the same. My mate running the zero s has ordered the mount for his car, but I've asked if before he installs it I can compare and check the fit.

When I find out I'll post up what I find, if it works I'll add some pics too. If it doesn't work I'll bust out the dremel.
Iv got both the zero and the xi they should be the same.screw in the side and one in the chasis.if you can put the zero arm the should allow you to put bigger pinion on
Old 10-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #130
Tech Addict

Sweet, I was hoping that would be the case . The only other difference is the battery stopper thing mounts on that arm too. I'm guessing the zero arm doesn't have that and is probably why they redesigned it.

Seeing as you have both, do you see anyway that you could use the battery strap system from the zero on the XI? I would like to get away from taping the battery in, lol.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #131
Tech Regular

Quote:
Sweet, I was hoping that would be the case . The only other difference is the battery stopper thing mounts on that arm too. I'm guessing the zero arm doesn't have that and is probably why they redesigned it.

Seeing as you have both, do you see anyway that you could use the battery strap system from the zero on the XI? I would like to get away from taping the battery in, lol.
Yes i am on that i went and bought from a tc6 battery brace set #31318 and battery tape tab #31304 and then you just need the battery strap which i had off the zero.Whith the brace you can only get the back screw(I am going to use a nut and bolt insteed).They hold by 2 screws but the frame is narrow you cant get the front screw in on each brace so i am going to super glue it in.THe tc6 parts from R.A.B hobbies ph.0395802258 they are in Mordialoc Vic
or on ebay hope that help will post a pic over the weekend
Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #132
Tech Regular

hears the finish product
Attached Thumbnails
New Sakura XI-sakura-battery-001.jpg   New Sakura XI-sakura-battery-002.jpg   New Sakura XI-sakura-battery-003.jpg   New Sakura XI-sakura-battery-004.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 AM   #133
Tech Addict

Here's what I came up with. A 3 Racing sub C battery strap (3RAC-BB01) for a TT01/TA05, with the inside section of the lugs cut off. Was about $10 shipped on ebay. Held in place with shoegoo. We'll see how that holds up.

Sorry, Iphone didnt feel like taking clear photos tonight... Hopefully you get the point. The battery touches the sakuras battery locators on the other side. So it seems pretty sturdy.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sakura owners.....

I bought a set of the threaded aluminum shocks (great price!). The short black springs that come with the kit are 5.5T......

Can anyone tell me what this is equivalent to in terms of lbs/in or g/mm?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #135
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Can anyone tell me what this is equivalent to in terms of lbs/in or g/mm?
cody - i tested the whole set a while back ...

4.25T - 35.8 lb/in
4.5T - 31.7 lb/in
4.75T - 29.2 lb/in
5.0T - 26.2 lb/in
5.25T - 24.9 lb/in
5.50T - 22.9 lb/in
5.75T - 21.2 lb/in
6.0T - 20.0 lb/in
6.5T - 17.9 lb/in

unless they made some changes, it's a fairly usesless set on rubber. btw - i have two sets for sale should anyone disagree with me.