R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #76
Tech Adept

I made a flexible (adaptable) gear chart for the Sakura Zero here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyball View Post
If you want to see more possible combinations, just download my attached gear ratio charts. In the Excel version you can also change the pulley and spur gear values...
There you can determine which spur/pinion combinations result in which FDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermmie View Post
The Spur gear is very close to the motor mount, i dont think that even a 33T Pinion would fit, or maybe it would but i wouldnt dare to run it.
hermmie: That sounds strange. According to the original 3racing gear charts (my charts are based on them) a 72t spur gear (48p) should be combinable with pinions up to 40t. Especially since the Sakura XI comes with the vertical motor mount out of the box. Can you (or anyone else) confirm that there is not enough space for a bigger pinion than 33t?

Christian

Last edited by skyball; 10-04-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo
skyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #77
Tech Rookie

I took a pic of my spur gear / pinion to show the space left between the pinion and the motor mount..

Thats 72T / 32T. To go any longer you will need a smaller Spur gear.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sakura XI-dsc_0022_s.jpg  
hermmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #78
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

looking to get one soon cant wait!
TRXRACER99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #79
Tech Adept

Quote:
I took a pic of my spur gear / pinion...
Hermmie, thanks for the picture. Now I think Isee what you mean. It looks to me like there is plenty of room left at the upper slotted hole (Langloch), but the pinion nearly touches the "motor mount root" (the alloy arm for the upper motor screw). I suppose there's no possibility to attach the pinion further away from the motor, so that it can "pass" in front of (from the perspective of your picture) the motor mount root?

Christian

Last edited by skyball; 10-04-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: clarify point
Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #80
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyball View Post
Hermmie, thanks for the picture. While I can't see it exactly, it looks to me like there is plenty of room left at the slotted hole (Langloch) for the upper motor screw?!?

Christian
Well yeah but check the space between the right side of the pinion and the motor mount. there is hardly 1mm of space in between, so you can't move the pinion any further away from the spur gear, or put in a bigger pinion.

Edit: I added another pic, i think the angle of the first pic could be misleading on how the motor mount is in relation to the pinion gear.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sakura XI-dsc_0023.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #81
Tech Adept

Quote:
there is hardly 1mm of space in between, so you can't move the pinion any further away from the spur gear...
Yes you're right. Meanwhile I looked into the manual and also found that the pinion can never "pass" the motor mount.

So I will have to adjust my gear chart for the Sakura XI. The original 3racing charts which I based my Excel versions on were meant for the Sakura Zero using the horizontal motor mount. There was nothing mounted in front of the pinion, so bigger pinions would fit. Unfortunately 3racing never released a gear chart for the Sakura XI as far as I know.

So for the Sakura XI (and probably the Zero as well when using the vertical motor mount) the only way to get a lower FDR is to use a smaller spur gear.

Christian
Old 10-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #82
Tech Initiate

Default sakura x1

Interesting to hear the problems with the x1 with vertical motor mount.... I am running the sakura zero with the vertical motor mount with 72 spur and 34 pinion. I still have 3mm between the motor mount and the pinion, but in saying that - I just had a look at the top of the vertical motor mount and find only 1mm between the pinion and mount.
I find it unusual that a new improved chassis does not have as much room as the 'old' chassis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sakura zero
F109
Xray fk05 - tekin 13.5/rs pro
davenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #83
Tech Regular

painted a body to match the car

the pink is alot brighter irl

Old 10-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #84
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
If I read right, it comes with a 48pitch 80T spur and the internal is 2.0. You want to start out around a 4.0 FDR for 17.5 non-ramping. So a 40t would be a good start. Question is... will a 40t and an 80T fit? If not, you will need a smaller spur to get down to a 4.0 FDR.

A better question might be, what pinion/spur combo are you guys running to get a 4.0 FDR for 17.5 non-ramping.
Thanks Shaun, your awesome!

Quote:
With the stock 80T Spur Gear, an 40T pinion would not fit.

Im currently using a 72T Spur gear with an 32T Pinion to run in a Series where a FDR of 4.50 or shorter is required, with that combination im exactly at 4.50. The Spur gear is very close to the motor mount, i dont think that even a 33T Pinion would fit, or maybe it would but i wouldnt dare to run it.

If you want to get close to 4.0, you will definately need a smaller spur gear. Maybe a 66T, if you use a 33T pinion you would be at exactly 4.0 FDR.

On the other hand, which motor are you running that requires such a long ratio? 4.50 with an LRP X12 17.5 is already pretty long since the motor does not reach alot of rpm's
This is exactly what I was looking for, Thanks! Were did you order the smaller spur gears? I'm trying to order everything from HKShobby.com but don't see them on there.

Last edited by R.Fenstermacher; 10-04-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added a question
R.Fenstermacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #85
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Fenstermacher View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for, Thanks! Were did you order the smaller spur gears? I'm trying to order everything from HKShobby.com but don't see them on there.
Uhm i ordered my 3Racing Spur Gears directly from the official 3Racing Shop since rcmart didn't have them either.

3RAC-SG4866 is the 48dp 66T one
Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #86
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just convinced the wife to get me one of these for my birthday . Kits look great, and excellent value!

A couple of questions for those of you running Sakura's, I want to run robinson spurs, do I need any adapters for this or does the kit run them out of the box? Also, with the kit spur, will I be able to run a 29t spur with no clearance issues?

Lastly, this will be my first TC running gear diffs. My current setup uses a fairly loose rear diff and a tight front diff. The only gear diff I have exprience with is a Spic unit for my M05, which uses 300,000wt... A bit thicker then it seems TCs usually use. I guess im asking, what oils would produce say, a weak diff, medium diff and a strong diff...?

For some info on tracks, I run 17.5 with boost (Tekin RS), some drivers run as low as 5.1FDR but I'm typically over 6 with my current car, but I'm expecting to be between 5.5 and 6.5 with this car. The two tracks I run at are parking lot on rubber, and astro turf on foams (kinda like carpet).

Any advice would be great
Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #87
Tech Rookie

Can't tell you if those spurs will fit. I used to run Robitronic Delrin spur gears in all previous cars but those don't fit since they are missing the correct holes, thats why i went to the 3Racing spur gears. They are also good quality, cheap and fit perfectly.

For the gear diff, i had some leaking issues at first, but after i went to build the gear diff after the 3Racing manual they have put up on their website, it runs just fine. After around two running hours the diff also runs pretty smooth. Im using 2000wt Oil and it feels pretty good. Some people are running softer oils, some even shock oil.

If you want to run a diff in front as well, i would suggest trying out what suits your driving style. I had 40.000wt oil in my sakura zero s front diff and another one filled with modelling clay.

The one with modelling clay made the car harder to turn in but had alot of steering once past mid-corner, loads of traction as well.

The 40.000wt was smoother to drive but laptimes were pretty much the same.

You see and hear alot of different things when it comes to oil weights.. most people i talked to tried the heaviest oil they could lay their hands on ( like the 300.000wt you mentioned ) or used modelling clay for their front diff.

Maybe it would be a good idea to get two diffs to try out what works best for you.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Uhm i ordered my 3Racing Spur Gears directly from the official 3Racing Shop since rcmart didn't have them either.

3RAC-SG4866 is the 48dp 66T one
Thanks! Is the part number you listed for a 66tooth spur or a 72 tooth spur. Just wondering, by looking at the part # it looks like 66.
R.Fenstermacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #89
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Fenstermacher View Post
Thanks! Is the part number you listed for a 66tooth spur or a 72 tooth spur. Just wondering, by looking at the part # it looks like 66.
"3RAC-SG4866 is the 48dp 66T one" that means it is a 48dp 66T gear

Check the official 3Racing Shop for all the spurs they are selling. 3RAC-SG4872 is the 72T one.

If you want the option to go longer than 4.5 FDR, get a 66T spur.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #90
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default sakura xt

Just complete the sakura x1 found it fairly good to put it together.
My only thing i didnt like it was way the spur gear set up is.I thought from the zero they would of changed it.

In the sakura zero i run 17.5 brushless with a 37 pinion(is the biggest that fitted) with a 75 spur gear which gives me alittle bit over 4 and in 10 minutes it runs 50 degrees. It is around 4 months old and no trouble with the gear diffs.

In the x1 i am planning to run 71 spur with 35 pinion with21.5t motor

The verticle motor mount dont have any trouble with.

That spur gear i found pull out the whole center gear to change the spur
ian scott is offline   Reply With Quote