R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #61
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn0 View Post
Gents,

I spend sometime doing an editable setup sheet for this car, find it here.
I wish i can add some weight's positions on the lower desk, can you provide (either by PM, e-mail or on this thread) some ideas of where you locate those items? Pictures welcome to ease the understanding.
I get an "not found"???

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/3rac...SetupSheet.pdf

Regards Robert
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #62
Tech Regular

Finally got around to complete the Sakura XI this weekend. Haven't put up any runtime yet but car looks solid. Not entirely happy with it though but I'm keeping an open mind until i get an opportunity to put in on a track.

Here's my thoughts on the build process though. Most of the ppl here would have already had the car so this info might be redundant. But for those who might be interested:

Pros
-Build quality is top notch (not much play in arms, etc) especially considering the car's price.
-Instruction manual is, similar to the zero, coloured and printed on glossy paper which lasts longer than the usual stuff.
-Easy build, good instructions.
-Finished product looks really solid, seem to have positive features taken from current top flight cars.
-You can see 3racing really listened to customer feedback. Small features such as arrows for marking diff adjustment positions are great.

Cons (most are just my personal preference)
-Steering on full lock will result in tyres rubbing against the shock cups. Will have to either increase off set or limit steering travel. You still get about 24degrees of steering travel after properly adjusting for clearance but it should not have such an obvious issue out of the box.
-Shock shafts do not sit entirely fit in the shock body. Makes it seem like the piston is too small to hold the shock shafts in a straight position.
-Some parts are incorrectly drawn on the instructions. Such as the diff holder, left switched to right side and vice versa. I'm not the only one who got confused by this.
-Weight of shock oil was not listed. Same with shock springs.
-Placement of turnbuckle kingpins (Adjustable via 5 small holes) should have been illustrated. Ended up with turnbuckles that are too short for my liking.
-Comes with 48 pitch spur and no pinion. I'm a 64 pitch fan.

This is all purely based on the building process and looking at the finished product. Will give driving opinions once I put in some laps and set up tweaks.

The only other XI user is saying that the car suffers from understeer and runs hotter than others but the car does look quick on the track. Ps. We run on a dirty outdoor asphalt track.

Anyway here are some pics with my battle hardened Kyosho TF-5.

Fresh off the work bench

Older brother keeping a watchful eye

With electronics installed

All dressed up
tak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #63
Tech Regular

My car, just need to put it in the setup system and cut and paint the body to it

Old 09-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Do you guys know what pinions I will need to get the correct FDR for running 17.5 blinky (no boost) outdoors on rubber tires. Any help would be great, I have some 48 pitch but not many.

Thanks
R.Fenstermacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #65
Tech Apprentice

Looking for any extra Sakura xi parts such as chassis top deck bulkheads or any xi parts please pm me and let me know how much you want for the parts
Lizardboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #66
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardboy76 View Post
Looking for any extra Sakura xi parts such as chassis top deck bulkheads or any xi parts please pm me and let me know how much you want for the parts
Just order straight of 3Racing
I placed an order for some tuning parts and replacement parts on Monday and they're here
Madmaxaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #67
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Fenstermacher View Post
Do you guys know what pinions I will need to get the correct FDR for running 17.5 blinky (no boost) outdoors on rubber tires. Any help would be great, I have some 48 pitch but not many.

Thanks
Didn't think this was that hard of a question..
Old 10-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

is this the newest one? or is the Zero newer?
TRXRACER99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Didn't think this was that hard of a question..
You dont say what spur you ae using so how can people help you with rollout?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #70
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRXRACER99 View Post
is this the newest one? or is the Zero newer?
XI new one
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #71
Tech Regular

The editable setup sheet is updated accordingly to provided feedback, mainly Robert.

Enjoy!
Arn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #72
Tech Rookie

After assembling the kit and driving the car a couple of times on track, i must admit that i am suprised about how good the quality of the kit and how good the performance is.

I tested on a track where i used to run my previous car ( HB TCX ) with the same electronics and tire setup. The new Sakura felt very quick right out of the box with the default factory setup, but was too agile and somewhat twitchy to drive.

Since its my first 3Racing kit i dont know much about their servo savers, but mine was definately pretty bad. I went to a standard, plastic sanwa servo arm and the car felt better. The 3Racing Servo Saver didnt center properly, so the car was wandering down the straights.

I also had to widen the track on front and rear by adding a 0,75mm shim behind each wheel, otherwise the rims would have been rubbing and causing drag. Ordered the 5mm Hex Clamp option.

The diameter of the Shock Pistons is too small, they create quite a bit of play on the shock shafts. Will see if the Tamiya 3-Hole ones fit, but im pretty sure they will.

Not sure about the standard fitted gear-diff yet. I had trouble stopping it from leaking, but the manual 3Racing put up on their site regarding a "prefect build of the V2 gear diff" is very helpful. After building the diff according to that manual it was not leaking anymore. Although i think the diff could run smoother, maybe it needs a bit more time to run smoother though.

I found that ( at least on asphalt with fairly high-traction situation ) the chassis had way too much flex. Put in three of the upper-deck posts of the sakura zero to stiffen it up, its still pretty soft but with the posts it felt better and easier to drive.

The back is pretty lose with the standard setup, you can use more lay-down on the rear shocks to improve that. I was running 2 holes further inwards and it felt great.

Besides that i did not have to change anything to the stock setup to make the car go as quick as my old HB TCX. I know its a huge claim but im pretty confident that it will also be quicker, it just feels really good to drive.

Spare part prices are so low and the car seems very solid so far ( nothing broken or bent after approx. 48 hours of practice and one race ).

The new Sakura XI definately gets a huge thumbs up from me!

Would be cool if we could share some setups for the car, i will post some as soon as i get an asphalt and a carpet setup race proven.
hermmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #73
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
You dont say what spur you ae using so how can people help you with rollout?
If you read my original post it says " do you know what pinions I will need". Which means I haven't got the car yet. So if you think about it I was asking what pinions will I need with the stock spur gear.... I haven't got the car yet, its in the mail. It would be pointless though to go to the race track after building the car and not having any pinions that would get me close to the FDR to be able to be competitive. I have to order whatever pinions I need ahead of time because there is no hobby shops within an hour or is there a hobby shop near the track. This is why I asked last Thursday, hoping I would have an anwser by now....
Old 10-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Quote:
If you read my original post it says " do you know what pinions I will need". Which means I haven't got the car yet. So if you think about it I was asking what pinions will I need with the stock spur gear.... I haven't got the car yet, its in the mail. It would be pointless though to go to the race track after building the car and not having any pinions that would get me close to the FDR to be able to be competitive. I have to order whatever pinions I need ahead of time because there is no hobby shops within an hour or is there a hobby shop near the track. This is why I asked last Thursday, hoping I would have an anwser by now....
If I read right, it comes with a 48pitch 80T spur and the internal is 2.0. You want to start out around a 4.0 FDR for 17.5 non-ramping. So a 40t would be a good start. Question is... will a 40t and an 80T fit? If not, you will need a smaller spur to get down to a 4.0 FDR.

A better question might be, what pinion/spur combo are you guys running to get a 4.0 FDR for 17.5 non-ramping.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #75
Tech Rookie

With the stock 80T Spur Gear, an 40T pinion would not fit.

Im currently using a 72T Spur gear with an 32T Pinion to run in a Series where a FDR of 4.50 or shorter is required, with that combination im exactly at 4.50. The Spur gear is very close to the motor mount, i dont think that even a 33T Pinion would fit, or maybe it would but i wouldnt dare to run it.

If you want to get close to 4.0, you will definately need a smaller spur gear. Maybe a 66T, if you use a 33T pinion you would be at exactly 4.0 FDR.

On the other hand, which motor are you running that requires such a long ratio? 4.50 with an LRP X12 17.5 is already pretty long since the motor does not reach alot of rpm's
hermmie is offline   Reply With Quote