R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2004, 03:53 PM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

yep...its easy to put fast laps in here and there but it takes much more to put in a whole 5 mins of fast laps.
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #17
Regional Moderator

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Racer_Chick Send a message via MSN to Racer_Chick

I don't know so much about it being about tires because I think that if you can run fast on worn out tires, you'd be wicked fast with fresh ones. I do agree with what everyone else has said, though, and that's practice!! Even if you don't have time to make it out to the track during the week racing will give you good practice and experience.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:00 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Agent38

patience is a virtue sometimes overlooked in racing.......

and oh yeah... PRACTICE!!!!
Agent38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:41 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

To stay consistant is simply to maintain your stuff....do the same thing all the time. I always clean my car between the race weekend. Rebuild your shocks, true your comm. The more you take care of your car, the more it will take care of you.

Oh yeah....and PRACTICE! Take full advantage of the practice time before the race and any free time you have on the weekend.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

It's all in the name.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:58 PM   #21
Tech Addict

My advice would be listen to what all the FAST GUYS say at your track. They know what they are talking about, since more than likely they've been into this for awhile. I would also say lots of track time and then with that comes consistancy! If ya don't need to get marshalled, it knocks ALOT of time off your runs.
CEFX
A_Stratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:13 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally posted by lazyeh
My advice would be listen to what all the FAST GUYS say at your track. They know what they are talking about, since more than likely they've been into this for awhile. I would also say lots of track time and then with that comes consistancy! If ya don't need to get marshalled, it knocks ALOT of time off your runs.
Exactly. I'm by no means anywhere near a top level driver, but I win plenty of club events. What really angers me id when people come up to me at the track and ask for advice and i spend 10-15 mins talking to them about what i would recommend because they asked me, and then ask them how they liked it or what they thought. Then they reply that they didn't try it because no one else was doing it or it requires too much work, blah, blah, blah. Yes the fast guys may be faster drivers, but their cars are usually working better than most as well.

Also racing with people that are faster than you greatly improves your skill. Too many people hang around in the spec class or whatever they can win every week, and then wonder why they don't get faster. It forces you to get faster by racing faster people. Ask anyone that goes to their first national or large event and then comes back to their home club, and runs a lap faster. Don't push yourself beyond your limits because I have done that before and looked stupid, but make sure you are challenging yourself enough as well.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:58 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I might have overlooked it, but if no one else has said it....practice is pretty important

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Patriiick
a fast steering servo also helps..
That blew my mind when i switched from my sloooow servo
I was honestly suprised how much my new Airtronics servo helped. The speed was nice but the consistancy was killer. When I turn that wheel I know exactly how much the servo's gonna move. Much more consistant than anything else I've ever had in the car
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:21 PM   #25
Tech Addict

ya that's true I switched from a Craptec to a Futaba S9404 and it make a HUGE difference!
CEFX
A_Stratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:32 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Given what a big factor driving skill is in the overall equation; it is sad how little helpful information/discussion there is on the subject of driving.

Of course practice is key. But, repetedly praticing the same bad lines, using too little or too much brakes or throttle, is going to be a lot less helpful.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:22 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Some of you brought up a good point....the equipment while not the most improtant thing to good driving, helps a bunch. A standard servo, old (weak mangets, burnt winds, 40 runs w/o a cut) motors and cruddy batteries won't get you into "racing" conditions. Sometimes, updated and or better stuff makes driving a bit easier and in some cases makes you faster.

A few years ago, I as well went from a mid-range servo to a top of the line and my driving instnatly got better. If you're not steering right, thats gonna hold you back a lot.

Ask your track director if on a practice day you can mark the track. Nothing permant, but just so you can start learning your points. The key is to consistantly hit your points every turn of every lap.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:15 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by mafiaracers
A few years ago, I as well went from a mid-range servo to a top of the line and my driving instnatly got better. If you're not steering right, thats gonna hold you back a lot.
I just figured that one out. I can get my timing down better & more consistantly. My laps times went down .3 consistantly with the same car/same setup with a new servo Mainly because I could take more faster lines & make them stick than I could with a less accurate/speedy servo

Quote:
Originally posted imjonah
Given what a big factor driving skill is in the overall equation; it is sad how little helpful information/discussion there is on the subject of driving.
Because driving is really something you have to figure out on your own. I could teach someone the basics of driving & give them tips but I really couldn't teach them how to drive.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:29 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Dont forget to practice. (something I need stacks of!)

I come from a Karting background racing semi-professionally around Australia and achieving some OK results, so I know a little about this... There is a *lot* in the mental state of the driver. Lack of Concentration and Brain Fades where you loose concentration for a split second or even a few seconds can loose you the race when things are competitive. Even more so in something like Model Car racing where Marshalls etc come into play, and the racing is closer.

There is documents on the web about practicing the mental concentration required to complete a race, by sitting (or standing as the case may be) and visualising the whole race mentally as if you were actually doing the driving for real. It is said that you can practice like this and it is as good as the real thing.

Its been a number of years since reading these documents, but there is some definant truths in some of it.

Most of us are actually our own worst enemy on the track.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:34 PM   #30
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Money86mcss
Practicing is best, but just running your car a lot won't necessarily make you a better driver. You have to realize the things you are doing right as well as what you are doing wrong when driving, so that you can adjust. Having someone else watch you run can be really helpful, as other people can sometimes notice what you are doing wrong and give advice: entry into corners, lines, throttle control, ect.

I'm with you on this one