R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #91
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Eddie O, On the advice of my attorney (thank goodness he my Brother-in-Law) I am not allowed to discuss the patents that I "had". I guess this is why attorney's get paid to do patent searches?
James, at TeamMuchMore had also inquired about my patents, and I was unable to help him either.
A 10% difference in design is all thats needed. Some of my early prototypes were similar to the TMM unit, but they were not very efficient (heatsink to small to disipate enough heat, and aluminum clamp didnt transfer cold as well as copper).
I recently built a single can beer cooler (4-120mm fans, massive heatsink,& 4-80mm peltier chips) the surface temp of the cold side copper plate reaches -50* in aprox 10 min. Then I put my can of Coors Light and 30 seconds later, Yum! (any longer and the can freezes to the plate)
I just brought up this thread (again) to see if anyone is "stretching the envelope" with new ideas. Nice looking unit "Kumpol"
I have built some some prototypes with heat pipes to cool the hot side, as well as water cooling the hot side (to big to take to the track), but way cool looking. Keep tinkering guys! Ya never know what ya can come up with!
TeamPhariswheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:18 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking

Hey, some of the radiators used in water cooling are small enough to take to the tracks. A "peltiered" water block is easier to attach to a motor than one fitted with a giant heatsink. Plus it should apply less stress on the chassis since it's lighter.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:29 AM   #93
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Patents are all public record.....a simple search is going to find them, was just hoping to save 25 minutes....

Patent searches are just a time saver.....attorneys rarely do them, they are usually done by legal aids or even assistants. If they find a similar patent, then the lawyer reviews it to see if it applies....

Later EddieO
Old 07-15-2005, 12:41 AM   #94
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

TeamPharis - So your saying the the TMR design is less efficient as is has a small heatsink and have alloy motor clamps.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #95
Tech Elite

It more than likely is.....two reasons.

One, the peltier is smaller....much smaller. I doubt its even a 100 watt unit or just barely. The one's Jeff used were like 125 watts or so.....

As for the clamp, it will never work as good as copper. Aluminum dissapates heat/cold better than copper, but it does not TRANSFER heat/cold better. I made a few units out of both way back when, and in every test the copper units blew away the aluminum.

You can look no further than the PC industry, where copper is always used, with aluminum heatsinks attached....even on the hot side.

I think theirs was made out of aluminum for a few reasons....one, its nice and easy to color, so no worries about it corroding.....second, its probably cheaper to get machined (copper is cheaper, but most machines are set for aluminum), and its a tad harder, so it will be more durable.

I still think a solid one piece copper unit will work the best, which is what my machinist is making for me.....I don't intend to sell mine though....

I will look up the patents later.

Later EddieO
Old 07-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Eddie,

What do you mean copper is cheaper?

The cost of copper is higher than aluminum???

As for copper vs. aluminum... copper wins hands down on the hot side...

Later Michael
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #97
Tech Elite

I can buy copper stock cheaper than I can the good aluminum of the same size....copper just ends up looking like it costs more because of the weight....maybe its different in your area...

Aluminum magnet wire is more pricey as well.....

As for the heat stuff, look it up.....copper transfer heat better, but aluminum dissaptes heat better....thats why you see so many two piece heatsinks in the computer industry....

Later EddieO
Old 07-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #98
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to is300zx

The US government has a website for searching patents. http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html
is300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I guess so b/c copper is double or triple the price here over aluminum. That is a piece of equal size of each... its not based on pounds...

as for copper being better for heat transfer I was agreeing with you...

later

Michael
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:31 AM   #100
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Pretty sure some of you guys would know what wattage of peltier is best to use for motor cooling. Would the higher the watts the better? I saw a 68W/8.5A, but have also seen well above 150 watts. Thank in advance.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #101
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey danjoy25, the higher the wattage, the better...BUT... as you increase the watts you also increase the heat on the hot side. So... you need a larger heatsink & higher CFM fan to disipate that heat...thus... increasing the cold side potential.
TeamPhariswheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:17 AM   #102
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default peltier coolers

Dan, I know the one your are talking about.. I grabbed one from Jaycar, I assume thatís where you saw it as well. It's not powerful enough really. I got one off eBay... 50X50mm 170 Watt. Haven't got it yet But I'm hoping it should work well.

I got a heat sink and fan off eBay as well.
I grabbed some 1/4 " copper and I have sandwiched the Peltier between 1/4" of copper and the heat sink, it's clamped using nylon screws (they don't transfer heat) and then I have attached another small piece of copper (50X50mm) to the clamping piece of copper so that's 1/2" or 12.5mm of copper to draw the cold out of the Peltier then I got a piece of 35mm (inner dia) copper tube, which I cut a piece out of that clamps onto the motor.

Basically I have got all the ingredients except for the Peltier that I'm waiting on.

Jeff (TeamPharisWheel) gave me all the tips - like using nylon screws and using thick copper to extract the cold from the peltier & using a high CFM fan etc.

Thanks Jeff !

here's a Pic of the fan and heat sink that I bought off eBay - 53CFM @ 5000 RPM. It's a nice blue heat sink too. The heat sink has a large copper piece built into the heat sink as well to aid the heat transfer.

hope this helps !

~Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Peltier "SuperCooler"-productv7.jpg  

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris

Last edited by Jack2; 10-07-2005 at 04:46 AM.
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:41 AM   #103
Tech Regular

PharisWheel
Any units left like the one you made ?
Looking to buy 2 of them ?

If not does anybody know of any others besides the Much More unit ?
erock1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:35 AM   #104
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock1331
PharisWheel
Any units left like the one you made ?
Looking to buy 2 of them ?

If not does anybody know of any others besides the Much More unit ?

Eric,

Your fast enough you don't need one LOL! I saw a few of the MM units at the ovalmasters but the guys using them didn't seem to have an advantage.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:02 AM   #105
Tech Addict

Where can you get the 1/4" copper plate at? I would like to make one, but cant seem to find the copper.
Thanks
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote