R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Radio Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/53488-radio-question.html)

onebeatuptc3 10-23-2004 09:10 PM

Radio Question

Alright, in the coming weeks i am hoping to pick up a new radio system for my electric (hence thats why im going in the electric forum) I am looking for at three radios, but i cant think which one would be best. Im looking at the Helios EX-10, M8, and the 3PK. Im slightly leaning more toward the KO because its 254.99 with alot of features, like backlighting and a reciever. But i have seen the M8 and that looks pretty impressive, along with the 3PK. At the races here (friday night at tq hobbies) these are all the radios of choice, and talking to them, i cant get a straight answer (they are partial to the radios they own), so what would you believe would be the best pick?

Thank you, and sorry for the long post.

pink pac man 10-23-2004 09:30 PM

the 3pk has all the features you mentioned andf more..............and it fits man hands so you comfy all the time

Sal Amato 10-23-2004 10:23 PM

I have a M8 and love it lots of adjustability and super light weight. The Futaba 3pk seems a little top heavy to me but like you said its probably a question most answered with opinions.

TCR 10-23-2004 11:30 PM

I have a 3pk it's a great radio, however the helio's is the best radio there is period.

I'm selling my pk to get a helio's, only because of the spektrum system coming out, helio's with the spektrum is going to own.

You can't beat all the liitle things this radio does, and functionality with your pc, just too awsome, all the other radio's are a step behind.

and I'm a hard core futaba person, so for me to say this takes a lot, seeing as I've been running futaba for 12 years.

Claydoh 10-24-2004 06:14 AM

I have an M8 and my only complaint is battery life and the cost of sanwa recievers. The 3pk is light, good battery life and Futaba cust service is great. The KO is stylish, great battery life but the recievers are expensive.

If I were buying today, I would get a 3PK. What did you think when you held each one? Comfort is key

picco007 10-24-2004 06:26 AM

Radio's

I don't have either one of those radios you mentioned but if I were to buy one today it would be the 3PK. Futaba knows radios, and they have done it for so long. The 3PK has features that some of us will never use. You can pick from PCM or FM which is a plus. In the bunch you mentioned that's the only one that will and can change between the two. If you would ever think about running a nitro powered car, then you would use the pcm feature which would help you from having a possible run-away if someone was to get on your frequency.

This is alot of info but there is the answer to your question.
Hope this helps.

Hondaguy 10-24-2004 04:51 PM

Originally posted by TCR
I have a 3pk it's a great radio, however the helio's is the best radio there is period.

I'm selling my pk to get a helio's, only because of the spektrum system coming out, helio's with the spektrum is going to own.

You can't beat all the liitle things this radio does, and functionality with your pc, just too awsome, all the other radio's are a step behind.

and I'm a hard core futaba person, so for me to say this takes a lot, seeing as I've been running futaba for 12 years.

Spektrum system is also going to be available for the Futaba.

TCR 10-24-2004 10:16 PM

True but can you plug your Futaba into your usb port

Originally posted by Hondaguy
Spektrum system is also going to be available for the Futaba.

micros_rock 10-24-2004 10:25 PM

Like Claydoh said, go with whichever radio feels the best when you hold it. It makes a difference when you're standing up their for 5(or more) minutes. All the radios you are considering will do more than you can keep track of, so get what is the most comfortable.

Cole Trickle 10-25-2004 12:36 AM

Listen to micro_rocks !

mafiaracers 10-25-2004 02:19 AM

If my radio was my car, I wouldn't have to upgrade it....but for now I'm rockin' the MX-3. The GREAT majority of people at my track run the M8. I've always liked the KO. The Futaba looks a bit too out there with the throttle curve and stuff. The M8 is probably the most user friendly. All 3 are pretty comfortable. I'm very happy with the radio I have now, but I have run a 45 minute main with it and I must say, that is when I wish I had a more cumfortable and balanced radio!

Mr. Shookie 10-25-2004 06:30 AM

Here is my two pennies.
I have owned a M-8...Loved it so much I sent it in for repaires...like three times and it cost me $130 for the three repairs. That was too much for me. I felt like the more I used theM-8 the more I was not liking it. Does it have the best features..yea but not the one feature you seem to don't car about which is the Throttle and Steering Curve... Oh and the M-8 doesn't play cool tunes at inpromto times like the 3PK and Helios. I now own the Helios...I have loved it...

1) It is a little lighter than the M-8 and 3PK
2) Is better balanced than the M-8 and 3PK
3) Batteries tend to last longer than the M-8 (never owned a 3PK do I don't know How long the batteries last in it)
4) The Throttle and Steering Curve is Awsome & M-8 doesn't have it (although the 3PK does)
5) It hooks up to your PC and has the ability to expand to a 25 Model memory.
6) The receiver included is smaller than anything I have seen.
These are the few reason why I switched and have never looked back...
The Helios is Top Notch and has great customer support, Go look right here on this website for th eHelios forum. Kopropo has a rep answering questions. Now that is quality control.
THANKS KO
Keep up the Great work and Product.

Again these opinions are exactly that opinions
Futaba Balance that 3PK than it would be a harder choice.

Stephen <><

Cole Trickle 10-25-2004 10:52 AM

Feature wise, all the radios you mention, is great.

Grip and grip and grip is what really matters.

Personally, I find radios above like MX3, 3PDF and Presto and overkill.