R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Doing something for MacMillan Cancer Support - Need help, may be I'm crazy!!

Hi all,

The company I work for - Blue Arrow Ltd, have committed to raising 50,000 by the end of 2011 for MacMillan Cancer Support.

Obviously, all the standard things are being done - Charity Ball, people running the marathon, iron man challenge, etc, etc.

So it got me thinking!! What could I do with RC Cars that may actually generate some positive publicity in our much loved hobby??

So, about a week ago, a lightbulb went off in my head! I had an idea!!

One of/if not, the largest Indoor Club within the UK, Ardent Raceway (www.ardentracing.com) hold a series of meetings - as its the summer, they have got a series of 6 events called the Summer Series, the last meeting of this series takes place Sunday, September 25th 2011.

During this meeting, they will be expecting between 110-130 drivers, 3 heats per round, 2 finals, classes that are covered are:

13.5t Non Boosted Touring
13.5t Boosted Touring
Mardave
F1
12th Scale 10.5t Non Boosted

I can hear you all thinking......"so what is the idea?", so here it is!!

I am planning on racing in EVERY SINGLE RACE during the day! I make that at least 60 races on the bounce, with only a 60 second break between heats!!! It sounds tough just typing it!!

Radio Race Car Magazine will be covering the story, running a full double page spread to generate some interest prior to the event, along with a full blow by blow account of the event itself. One of my mates is a Amateur Film Maker, he will be filming the event to make it into a documentary - to probably be posted on youtube.

So this is where I need help!!

The equipment I currently have available and ready to use are:

Touring Car 13.5t boosted with all equipment
Spare ESC, motor, servo and reciever to put in "needed" non boosted touring car
2 spare recievers
2 packs of lipos
Access to Mardave with all equipment

This then leaves me with needing the following:

Touring car to run in non boosted
F1 Car with all electrics
12th scale with esc and motor
Lipos for all classes
Additional spares?
Additional tires?

So the question is......is there anyone out there, people, manufacturers, or shops who are prepared to help me achieve this task? Obviously all help/sponsorship will get a full mention to anyone who is covering the story.

In terms of how I am planning on raising money, I have set up a page http://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Burton3 and am hoping to get either a complete amount just for doing the challenge, or an amount per lap I complete (normally 13-15 second laps, so hoping to do around 1000-1200), with added bonuses per race I win and final I win?

Ardent Raceway are also prepared to donate a % of the race fees, with additonal things taking place on the day such as auctions, etc.

Ideally, any donations I get with regards to hardware and equipment will also be auctioned off an put towards the charity. My aim is to achieve over 1000.

Please let me know your thoughts, I need help just to get this challenge under way, and for all you out there who know how tiring racing is, you can appreciate just how tough this challenge actually is!!

Thanks for reading.....I know it was a long one!

Please help me!!

Mark
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Personally I think you are bonker

60 races on the bounce over 5 hours racing, 8 hours on the rostrum

I am not sure that it can be done but I wish you the very best and hope you are able to to raise some money for such a worthy cause and generate good publicity for R/C racing.

I havent got any R/C equiptment that would be suitable but you can count me in for 1 pence per lap, I'll double that for every race win and if you live long enough to reach the finals I will quodruple it for each final you win and a fiver if you set FTD and another fiver for A final win (yeah right )

PM me the sponsor form if/when it happens

Best of luck

Pete

PS. it might be a nice idea if this thread could be a "sticky" until after the event, PM one of the mods!

Last edited by bucketboy; 07-21-2011 at 05:49 AM.
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

just hold a charity race - where all the entry fees and whatnot are donated to charity.

ask around and get some people/companies/RC companies to donate some prizes to use for raffles...do a 50/50 - where 1/2 the $$ raised goes towards the charity and 1/2 goes to the winner

there is a group of guys in Maryland (USA) that has done something like this for ALS the last few years and they've raise around $4000 for the event..you got an drawing ticket with your entry fee, and they you could purchase more - plus they also had 'high-end' prizes that tickets were a little more for these items were like autographed racer/sports items

check out here - http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

and you can see some of the things they offered and maybe get some ideas

another track near me did a fund raiser for JDRF and raise almost $2k the time they did it..

racers will support it - and it should be a kind of easy way to raise a few bucks for the charity
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Default charity

I've already decided on what I'm doing, not much is really gonna change my mind on it now.......i just need to help in getting there!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Heres a strange thing! Just a couple of hours after offering my support I as told that one of my friends has been dianosed with bowel cancer

People spend a small fortune to buy the latest "hop up" part trying to gain 1/0th of a sec....... 90 reads of this thread where money is needed to help fight cancer giving those who are ill a chance to gain years and only one pledge of help

Best of luck with your efforts Mark

Bb
Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Angry Disappointing......

I've got to say, the response I have had on here has been nothing short of disgraceful (apart from Bucketboy)!

It may be a coincidence, but 3 of my staff have been diagnosed with cancer since I decided on doing this challenge, plus one of my friends mum who is actually going in for a not so good operation today!

There must be at least one or two people out there prepared to help? even a good luck message would be nice!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Good luck with what you are doing. We hold a charity race locally that usually has great participation. You are a very brave man doing that. We do it the easy way we get our club to pass all the cash brought in to a nonprofit group. I know you said you are set on this buy maybe you can get the club to also donate some cash for the cause.

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

I'm disappointed too. What's better than setting a challenging goal for a good cause, just asking for money? Jeez.

Any way I'm across the pond, but if I can help you buy some of the equipment you need, PM me. I tip my hat to you for caring enough to raise some money for a good cause in a way that's unique and fun.

Bob Kelly
Bob Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Default Thanks HPI

Big thank you today to HPI, have donated me a car to raffle/auction off on the day
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Tech Regular

How are things progressing Mark? saw you had a mention in one of the racing monthly's

Don't forget to PM me that sponsor link as I have a few member on one of my fishing forums who have pledged support (even though they know nothing about R/C racing)

Best of Luck mate.

Bb
Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
How are things progressing Mark? saw you had a mention in one of the racing monthly's

Don't forget to PM me that sponsor link as I have a few member on one of my fishing forums who have pledged support (even though they know nothing about R/C racing)

Best of Luck mate.

Bb
Thanks Bb, here's the link
HTML Code:
http://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Burton3
Things are going a little slowly, but since appearing in the mag I've had a few more donations, Muchmore racing are donating an F1 car, SMC some batteries, Modeltech 1s lipo, Modelsport 50 voucher for the shop, Logicrc a new charger.......but I still need more!!!!!

Apart from yourself and one or two others, still hardly recieved even a message of good luck from people on here though.....I think that most people are more interested in seeing if an FDR ratio of 5.89 rather than 5.96 will a better use of their time, rather than even just say "good luck with the task for a very worthwhile cause!".

PEOPLE HEY???