Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #211
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #212
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hope everything goes well for the Cyrul's and CEFX!
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #213
Tech Regular

I noticed that many have started using servo tape to hold down their batteries. I know this is to help battle the tweek that strapping tape can create. My question is what is the best servo tape for this? Also how much and where in the bottom of the battery? I think it would need to be thin to help with cg and you wouldn't want to cover the bottom of the battery. That would make it hard to take out of the car.

I posted here because Josh is one of the drivers doing this.
Khador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #214
Tech Master

Back at work this morning and I wanted to give you guys an update. It was agood weekend getting CEFX stuff done:

#1 - Many of you receivered shipping info. I brought a ton of packages to drop at USPS during lunch here today. These were orders filled for Griffin, Xanthos and Lithium. I am working on Evo kits this week and will ship ASAP.

#2 - I know some people have already seen it and have placed orders since it went live last night. The new prices are almost 100% up on the shopping site! I think everyone will be very surprised and pleased with the prices we are now offering. Take a look around at the CEFX SpeedShop.

Back to work. I'll update more later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #215
Tech Initiate

Great !!

Thanks for the news Josh.

Can't wait for race with my Evo
shiver750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDreamer06 View Post
can somebody post a pic of the griffin with the battery in the center(an actual car that has been ran)?
I still run the original set-up for the griffin (will probably order an in-line at some point) But perhaps my set-up will help and I have a question I hope Josh can respond so it will benefit all.

First let me start by saying, Josh is one of the most approachable drivers at any event. For this reason I've been a loyal 1/12th scale customer. Besides the fact that his chassis design just works, especially the Phoenix.

Like Josh, family and work have limited my race time, so the few times I've run 1/12th (on-road nats) I've been plagued with speedo issues... first KO and Tekin... I suspect it was RX pack failures but can't be sure... this weekend I switched to LRP SXXV2 and HIGHLY recommend anyone running 1/12th to do the same... "NO" RX pack, booster or lap-top needed!!! I ran both 17.5 blinky and 13.5 boosted without a problem.

Set-up 1.5 boosted (Reedy Sonic)
Fr: Lilac / .20 springs / 10 reactive / 164MM width / speed merchant green lube on pins / .5 degree toe out / KO 151 steering servo /

Center: ASC blue spring / Hot bodies shock / 40wt

Rear: Yellow / 71MM rollout / Silver side springs (top racing) / ASC 10K tubes

Ride height: 3.5MM

Speedo settings: 0 / 8 / 8 / 5

Absolutely fantastic set-up... HOWEVER and this is where I need HELP - 6.5minutes into the race, my average lap times drop by over 1.5 secs (low 12.2 to 14). Its not because of dumping or running flat - plenty of speed on the straights... its an uncontrolable OVERSTEER.... we use SXX tire sauce (house rules)

So my question is and Mike Haynes and I were trying to sort this out... IMO, its as if the SXT goes away as its not like paragon. When I first ran 2x pink / pink, after 6.5 minutes the car would push (understeer) we assumed the rears were getting to sticky and causing excessive push so I switched to Lilac / Yellow which resulted in faster average lap times in the begining, but its as if the yellow tire grip went away after 6.5 minutes. I'm using Jaco's.

Josh...will your new rims come with foam mounted and what compunds? Not sure if one can purchase donuts? Also what tire compounds would you suggest for medium grip carpet track? I hope your tire advice will help others on the forum.

Regards,
Carl

Last edited by Carl Giordano; 11-07-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Carl Giordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #217
Tech Lord

Hey Carl, I have run into that problem from time to time. Sometimes it is actually NOT because the rears have gone off, it's because the fronts have come in and have pinned the nose of the car. Other times it is the rears. The only way I have been able to fix it is to run the same tire (magentas) all the way around. With this, the tires seem to change about the same front and rear so the balance stays the same whether they are falling off or gaining grip.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #218
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Back at work this morning and I wanted to give you guys an update. It was agood weekend getting CEFX stuff done:

#1 - Many of you receivered shipping info. I brought a ton of packages to drop at USPS during lunch here today. These were orders filled for Griffin, Xanthos and Lithium. I am working on Evo kits this week and will ship ASAP.

#2 - I know some people have already seen it and have placed orders since it went live last night. The new prices are almost 100% up on the shopping site! I think everyone will be very surprised and pleased with the prices we are now offering. Take a look around at the CEFX SpeedShop.

Back to work. I'll update more later tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks for the update! I also hope you are feeling better.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #219
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khador12 View Post
I noticed that many have started using servo tape to hold down their batteries. I know this is to help battle the tweek that strapping tape can create. My question is what is the best servo tape for this? Also how much and where in the bottom of the battery? I think it would need to be thin to help with cg and you wouldn't want to cover the bottom of the battery. That would make it hard to take out of the car.

I posted here because Josh is one of the drivers doing this.
I like the TOP servo tape (Double Sided Adhesive Tape). I have never tried it on a battery but it is good stuff.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Hey Carl, I have run into that problem from time to time. Sometimes it is actually NOT because the rears have gone off, it's because the fronts have come in and have pinned the nose of the car. Other times it is the rears. The only way I have been able to fix it is to run the same tire (magentas) all the way around. With this, the tires seem to change about the same front and rear so the balance stays the same whether they are falling off or gaining grip.
Thanks Sean... isn't Magenta the softest of tire compounds? I have to try it. I would think that running a Lilac front (harder than the yellow rear) would eliminate the front "pinning the nose"? Weird stuff.... hopefully Josh will weigh in... i noticed on his website he has a few different types of type compounds to order with the new rims. Can't wait to try them, but want to make sure first i order tires that will keep me in the ball park. Budget racing 101 these days...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #221
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
Thanks Sean... isn't Magenta the softest of tire compounds?
No, it's between a pink and 2x pink but sometimes has more bite than pink, sometimes a little less. Just depends on the sauce and track conditions. White is about the gripiest thing you can get. Magentas all the way around has become a pretty standard set-up for faster motors but I like it for slow ass blinky classes too. But it really depends on the carpet, I have gone places where it didn't work at all.

Something else you could try, stay with the yellow rears but try a black front.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #222
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Hey Carl,

Try This setup,

Front:
Jaco Prism Magenta 1.55"-1.60" front glue out front tire but not all the way up the side wall.
.020 front spring 15k lube on King pin
5* caster Block
1/2* Camber
1/2* toe out
3.2mm-3.5mm front ride height
164mm front width

Center:
Associated 40w
Blue spring
Kyosho 15k in Dampner tubes
Associated blue or gold side spring just touching the links

Rear:
Jaco pink's or Magenta's 1.68"-1.70" rear
1.72mm width
3.2-3.8 ride height

The pinks will give your longer traction as well as Magenta use pinks for low bite and use magenta for high bite. You'll have consistent steering and traction with this setup.

Hope this helps
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
I still run the original set-up for the griffin (will probably order an in-line at some point) But perhaps my set-up will help and I have a question I hope Josh can respond so it will benefit all.

First let me start by saying, Josh is one of the most approachable drivers at any event. For this reason I've been a loyal 1/12th scale customer. Besides the fact that his chassis design just works, especially the Phoenix.

Like Josh, family and work have limited my race time, so the few times I've run 1/12th (on-road nats) I've been plagued with speedo issues... first KO and Tekin... I suspect it was RX pack failures but can't be sure... this weekend I switched to LRP SXXV2 and HIGHLY recommend anyone running 1/12th to do the same... "NO" RX pack, booster or lap-top needed!!! I ran both 17.5 blinky and 13.5 boosted without a problem.

Set-up 1.5 boosted (Reedy Sonic)
Fr: Lilac / .20 springs / 10 reactive / 164MM width / speed merchant green lube on pins / .5 degree toe out / KO 151 steering servo /

Center: ASC blue spring / Hot bodies shock / 40wt

Rear: Yellow / 71MM rollout / Silver side springs (top racing) / ASC 10K tubes

Ride height: 3.5MM

Speedo settings: 0 / 8 / 8 / 5

Absolutely fantastic set-up... HOWEVER and this is where I need HELP - 6.5minutes into the race, my average lap times drop by over 1.5 secs (low 12.2 to 14). Its not because of dumping or running flat - plenty of speed on the straights... its an uncontrolable OVERSTEER.... we use SXX tire sauce (house rules)

So my question is and Mike Haynes and I were trying to sort this out... IMO, its as if the SXT goes away as its not like paragon. When I first ran 2x pink / pink, after 6.5 minutes the car would push (understeer) we assumed the rears were getting to sticky and causing excessive push so I switched to Lilac / Yellow which resulted in faster average lap times in the begining, but its as if the yellow tire grip went away after 6.5 minutes. I'm using Jaco's.

Josh...will your new rims come with foam mounted and what compunds? Not sure if one can purchase donuts? Also what tire compounds would you suggest for medium grip carpet track? I hope your tire advice will help others on the forum.

Regards,
Carl

1/12th Fo' Life!!! R.I.P Mike Reedy, R.I.P John Williams

[-Horsham RC-] [-Jackson RC-] [-RC Car World-] [ Black Out Free 2015 ]
mike ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #223
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vessell View Post
Things are still progressing but Josh has had some issues with vendors that he is sorting through. The kit is still planned, just delayed.
Josh any news about the time to be available the complete kits of Griffin12?
drover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #224
Tech Master

Has anybody tried their griffin with the batt front to back yet?
Trinity,EPIC,Oddy Racing,IRS,Sweep racing,Brown Engineering,Mugen USA,Team Xray,RC America,R.I.P. motorsports,Tekin,Customworks,Parma PSE,Ashford Hobbies,D&K Hobbies, TQ-wire,Local 69 Woodputters Union,Big Ant get well soon!!Quinn my BFF!
Dee Lee is a nut and I don't condone what he will say next!
Scooby Horton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #225
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1 View Post
Has anybody tried their griffin with the batt front to back yet?
I will Saturday