R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? TB03VDS or TA05-VDF or Yokomo DMax Standard

Ok,

I'm looking to setup a car for drift only and use it with counter steer. Which of the two should I be looking at? I'm looking for the one that I can easily setup counter steer with and it needs to have quite a bit of extra parts available.

Anyone with experiences that can help me out?

Last edited by phade; 07-19-2011 at 04:42 PM.
phade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Questions??

Really need some help please
Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The VDS is not out yet. Sometime in Aug. The D-max is ok. I'd go with the VDF. Great car out of the box. 50/50. The Blue ones are discontinued and the gold ones are on their last run so if you find one buy it because once their gone that's it. You can still get parts in both colors though.

All cars have CS pulley sets available but I wouldn't set up the VDS for CS. It's a shaft car and you will have mad torque steer.
If your just starting out. Run 50/50 to understand what your doing then move up. Starting out with CS will be very frustrating for a beginner. Unless your a natural.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I dunno about "mad" torque steer. With brushless and low traction drift tires, it's hardly noticeable. Plenty of shaft driven chasses show up at yatabe arena and hang with belt driven cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gashuffer View Post
All cars have CS pulley sets available but I wouldn't set up the VDS for CS. It's a shaft car and you will have mad torque steer.
If your just starting out. Run 50/50 to understand what your doing then move up. Starting out with CS will be very frustrating for a beginner. Unless your a natural.
TubOLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

The VDS is available for order for a decent discount from Banzai Hobby (Anyone have order experience with them?)

I hear a decent amount of bad talk about shaft driven but the middle range cars seem to be shaft not belt. And I assumed with the same pricing the Originator was a decent choice.

Am I wrong in that assumption? I tend to like most of the Yokomo bodies as well but I suppose that doesn't really matter.

Thoughts? Yokomo not good? It's Shaft but CS out of the box and even as a beginner I rather learn that way as I played with my Wife's now HPI Sprint 2 Drift and WTB CS after seeing it.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Banzai good.

Yokomo good.

imo, dont get a vdf.

csjunkies.com is your counter steer place to go.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Doen't matter which brand, kit, or drivetrain is better! It the one that has more anodized metal that makes it the best! hop ups hops its all bout metal hop ups that make you appreciate and enjoy most! Plastic is for tupperwares
hotdognobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Buy what you like. Most modern drift chassis feel pretty much the same. It's all down to driving skills. VDF gets a bad name from noobs with unrealistic expectations. Having owned street jam otar31, having monster steering lock is over rated too. Certain chassis like drb get better aftermarket support, so that's why jap pros turn to those. People try to make up lack of driving skills with more expensive chassis, but in the end, expensive cars don't make you drive any better. Many people equate easy forgiving chassis as better, but flexy unresponsive chassis just masks sloppy driving. If you have money to spare, there's nothing wrong with getting the most expensive thing out there.
TubOLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to MKO3jzgte

a hotbodies cyclone is a good counter steer car,look on RCDRIFTREVOLUTION.COM and you'll find good set ups posted.The yokomo SD to me is easy to counter steer with the change of gears.Also a Tamiya TA05 is good especially with the Eagle racing front motor conversion kit,its a cheap alternative to a VDF but i had 2 of them and they were great and i am in the process of buying another one.
Tamiya TA03
MKO3jzgte is offline   Reply With Quote