R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-27-2002, 06:43 AM   #481
Tech Master

hobbipro: After the mod, will the alum centre one way still fit? I.e. no slipping, no loopsided? I wear these plastic pulleys out very fast! Thanks.

~Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 08:41 PM   #482
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Alvin, There's no problem using the center one way after the flat spot is made for the set screw. Just make the flat spot small, and only where the pully set screw will contact the shaft. Remember that when the 2 aluminum pullys are placed on the shaft the set screws should be on the opposite ends of the shaft (facing out). You will see what I mean if you try it, actually you cant put them on with the set screws close together, or the belts will not line up.
The actual one way bearing on the center one way pully is in the middle of the pully itself, and rides on the shaft 3-5 mm away from where the set screw would be. It makes switching from 4wd one way to 4wd full time a breeze cause you can simply slide the shaft out a little at the track and change the pully in under a minute!
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 08:55 PM   #483
Tech Master

Mmmm highly tempting to try. Did you do your mod at home? I know a hobby shop who can do it for me but it's like an hour plus journey from my home...
Old 04-28-2002, 12:54 PM   #484
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yes sir, I did do this at my work bench. You do not need to take it to a hobby shop unless your really horrible with tools. A rotory tool (dremel) works best, but it can very easily be done with a flat file. All you really need is to use the edge of the flat file because its only a few MM and gets the job done well. The shaft itself is rather soft metal, so it does not take much to make a tiny flat spot. Of course you could try to just use the 2 aluminum's and not make a flat spot, but I'm not sure if it will spin under acceleration. Its worth a shot.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 09:33 AM   #485
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When I lift my 04, apply throtle then brake. The back wheels seem to just keep spinning unlike the front. I tried running it for about a lap and I've noticed the ESC a little hot than its supposed to be.

What could be the cause of the problem? Is it the diff, because i've just cleaned it and checked twice if I assembled it correctly and it seemes ok to me.
work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 07:31 AM   #486
Tech Regular

Fixed the problem somehow, but after a few runs it keeps coming back to being a front wheel drive instead of the 4wd that it was designed to be.

Are the stock diffs that came with the 04 Pro that bad because I've only run my car about 3 times, still box stock and using the recomended gearing
Old 04-30-2002, 07:44 AM   #487
Tech Regular

It could be your diffs. Make sure you tighten it enough so it doesn't slip. The TA04 Ball diffs are pretty nice when assembled and maintained correctly.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:02 AM   #488
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I remember seeing in some instruction manuals that the diff has to be installed in a certain way otherwise it would not work correctly, maybe coming loose. I don't know if this pertains to your situation but it is just a thought I had.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:07 AM   #489
Tech Rookie

work,

try to check whether you have installed the center 1-way into the rear belt rather than into the front belt. It should be into the front belt.

diff-diff pinagsasabi nyo dyan.....
Doraemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 11:07 AM   #490
Tech Master

Check this out. This is from a RC Lab chassis.

I believe the rear hub carriers of the TA04 can also do the same trick! By golly i'm gonna do it! Wooohooo! Reinforced Front Uprights!

EDIT: How will this affect the roll centre? Hmm.... at least it is a contingency measure.

EDIT2: Checked the TA04 hub carrier. There is only one hole, at most for the camber link ball joint. Probably need to drill a hole below for the kingpin. Argh. Why did tamiya design the rear hub carrier so? The -1 degrees didn't have it.

Last edited by Alvin; 04-30-2002 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:10 AM   #491
Tech Master

BTW dudes, checked last night. There is a very very minor bump steer effect on the car. I believe it can be cured simply by mounting the 3mm ball joint from below the steering knuckle. That way, when the suspension compresses it won't pull the steering knuckle. (grumble mumble 414m owners have it good)

I haven't had track time to test so if you do, do post here!

Don't thiunk will feel much difference though, the suspension needs to be compressed like mad for the bump steer to come into action, and probably slop and the tire deformation will absorb its effect.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:00 PM   #492
Tech Regular

Why so angry with 414M owners? It uses the same plastic suspension!
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 10:57 PM   #493
Tech Master

Nah Aurra, just you guys got so much more setting capability! Virtually infinite, with all the spacers And the aluminum finishes really makes me drool
Old 05-01-2002, 08:35 AM   #494
Tech Regular

Aurra, Kraig: Ive checked the diff, yup it was a little loose. thanks

Doraemon: The center one-way was on the right position. Thanks anyway. Dumi kasi ng track na linaruan ko eh
Old 05-02-2002, 12:11 PM   #495
Tech Apprentice

whats the cheapest i can get a ta04r for? where did you guys get yours from? and how long would it take to get it shipped from wherever to california?
drool monkey is offline   Reply With Quote