Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

I'm happy to report that yesterday I qualified second, and in the A main fell to as far back as 5th kept getting taken out
but I worked my way back up through traffic, and finished 2nd. I was runing the same lap times as the leader but, just ran out of time. I worked so hard and so long to get a good setup for this car and it is really rewarding to finally, get something accomplished, thanks for your input Psycho.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Psycho

yep!! my hats off to you!!!!!! i guess it was most of your tips that I followed to give me a good, race winning car!!
Thanks and happy racing!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Gosh, you guys are making me blush! I'm glad you guys are doing well with your cars.

I raced mine last week in stock with a black can motor (getting ready for TCS Nat's.) I finished 6th or 7th in the A with that stupid black can motor! I was dieing in the infield with no squirt off the line, but the car was pretty quick on the straight once it got up to speed. It was definitely no match for the guys running Monster motors and such, but I got a few surpised looks after the race when they saw what motor I was running. It was fun.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by psycho
Gosh, you guys are making me blush! I'm glad you guys are doing well with your cars.

I raced mine last week in stock with a black can motor (getting ready for TCS Nat's.) I finished 6th or 7th in the A with that stupid black can motor! I was dieing in the infield with no squirt off the line, but the car was pretty quick on the straight once it got up to speed. It was definitely no match for the guys running Monster motors and such, but I got a few surpised looks after the race when they saw what motor I was running. It was fun.
Psycho, can you share your gearing? ratio? 64 pitch? Did you feel overgeared witht that setup?
Old 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

same thing...i thing ur gear is too low...or mayb ur esc freq is low...
Old 08-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

I run the Tamiya 0.4 gears because it gives the widest range of gearing without having to modify the motor mount plate, keeping the car TCS legal. I ran 120/48 (5.825:1) on a pretty tight technical track with a long straightaway, prolly 100 feet and a few tight hairpins. I was able to keep the throttle pinned everywhere except the hairpins, so it was definitely overgeared, but I knew I couldn't afford to give up that much on the long straight. I was around 8/10 per lap slower than the fast guys, so I was pretty happy with the result. I was actually surprised. They way oversprayed VHT on the track so we were traction rolling effortlessly even with blue spings stood all the way up in front and white stood all the way up in the rear with 36's all around. It tamed down quite a bit in the afternoon, though. BTW, you should gear for the track and motor, not just run what worked for me on my local track. It helps if you have a good selection of pinions. I suggest that you gear in the 6:1 range and run the car for a couple laps to get the tires warmed up and get a rhythm going then watch where the speed tops out on the longest straight. If it tops out early and seems to not pick up any more speed, go a tooth bigger on thee pinion until you get the car to top out as you let off at the end of the straight. That should get you in the ballpark and you can tune from there for the rest of the track. If your track runs the timing system during practice, you can get some valuable data that way. You should also have a sense of whether the car is faster or slower as you change gearing. I hope that helps.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

i normally run my car on 120/45 on tech track...but u r rite.u should geared according 2 the track...
Old 08-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
I run the Tamiya 0.4 gears because it gives the widest range of gearing without having to modify the motor mount plate, keeping the car TCS legal. I ran 120/48 (5.825:1) on a pretty tight technical track with a long straightaway, prolly 100 feet and a few tight hairpins. I was able to keep the throttle pinned everywhere except the hairpins, so it was definitely overgeared, but I knew I couldn't afford to give up that much on the long straight. I was around 8/10 per lap slower than the fast guys, so I was pretty happy with the result. I was actually surprised. They way oversprayed VHT on the track so we were traction rolling effortlessly even with blue spings stood all the way up in front and white stood all the way up in the rear with 36's all around. It tamed down quite a bit in the afternoon, though. BTW, you should gear for the track and motor, not just run what worked for me on my local track. It helps if you have a good selection of pinions. I suggest that you gear in the 6:1 range and run the car for a couple laps to get the tires warmed up and get a rhythm going then watch where the speed tops out on the longest straight. If it tops out early and seems to not pick up any more speed, go a tooth bigger on thee pinion until you get the car to top out as you let off at the end of the straight. That should get you in the ballpark and you can tune from there for the rest of the track. If your track runs the timing system during practice, you can get some valuable data that way. You should also have a sense of whether the car is faster or slower as you change gearing. I hope that helps.
psycho,

I think 120/48x2.133= 5.33 is your final drive. So what chassis combo have you been testing for GT2... Short or standard?
Old 08-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

madjack

Haha! Good catch. I calculated it with 2.33 as the internal ratio. I'm running the standard wheelbase. I don't think there's any advantage to the short wheelbase at TA's track. Just get the backend to rotate nicely.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

madjack

Haha! Good catch. I calculated it with 2.33 as the internal ratio. I'm running the standard wheelbase. I don't think there's any advantage to the short wheelbase at TA's track. Just get the backend to rotate nicely.
I'm still not sure about which wheel base to use...especially after losing the TQ last weekend at TA to Ian A's bullet! You can be sure I'll be testing try to to figure that out... along with that damn Sport Tune motor we get to run for Nats this year.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

I raced in the June regional and I didn't see the need for a shorter wheelbase. I liked the stability of the long wheelbase on the straight. There were several guys (don't want to name names) that said that the SS arms were the ones to run and that those cars would be the fastest ones out there. Neither GT3 or GT2 were won by a car with SS arms in June, and they didn't seem any better handling to me. The track is pretty simple and not very tight, so I can't see how the short wheelbase would be better on that track. The flowing nature of the track would seem to better suit a long wheelbase car to me. You obviously have more experience on that track than I do, but that's my feeling on it. I won a Ferrari 360GT body in June, so I'll run that. I do like the Abt Audi TT body, though. It looks sweet!

As a side note, you wouldn't happen to know which chassis the fast Mini guys are running, would you? I'm guessing the M03L, but I remember seeing mostly old style Mini Cooper bodies in June. Since I can only race one real class at the Nat's, I think I'm going to run GT2 and Mini. Just trying to decide which Mini to buy.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Mini

oooops
Old 08-28-2003, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

I raced in the June regional and I didn't see the need for a shorter wheelbase. I liked the stability of the long wheelbase on the straight. There were several guys (don't want to name names) that said that the SS arms were the ones to run and that those cars would be the fastest ones out there. Neither GT3 or GT2 were won by a car with SS arms in June, and they didn't seem any better handling to me. The track is pretty simple and not very tight, so I can't see how the short wheelbase would be better on that track. The flowing nature of the track would seem to better suit a long wheelbase car to me. You obviously have more experience on that track than I do, but that's my feeling on it. I won a Ferrari 360GT body in June, so I'll run that. I do like the Abt Audi TT body, though. It looks sweet!

As a side note, you wouldn't happen to know which chassis the fast Mini guys are running, would you? I'm guessing the M03L, but I remember seeing mostly old style Mini Cooper bodies in June. Since I can only race one real class at the Nat's, I think I'm going to run GT2 and Mini. Just trying to decide which Mini to buy.
Psycho,

I'm with you on the chassis choice. I have had good luck in GT3 with the standard set-up....no need to tune myself out of the mains Considering that we will run black cans at the Nats.

As for bodies, I'm a big fan of the light weight NSX....the Lucky Strike BAR stickers and very little white paint

Need to make that car as light as possible for those underpowered motors.

As for the Mini. I heard a rumor that they might not run a second class after the 9:00PM finish tine of the last TCS? You might want to call Fred to make sure before laying down the cash for a new car.

John
Old 08-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default B's

So where is everyone getting their killer Beeee's from? Checking R10 for the last month and a half show's out of stock. But they just recieved TAMIYA,26800YEN,49297 TA04-R TUNED CHASSIS KIT

Old 08-28-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: B's

Originally posted by tomdav
So where is everyone getting their killer Beeee's from? Checking R10 for the last month and a half show's out of stock. But they just recieved TAMIYA,26800YEN,49297 TA04-R TUNED CHASSIS KIT
It is my understanding that Tamiya America is expecting 500 sets...any day. I have also heard that R10 is receiving shipments from time to time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.